Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

"Go-Fund-Me" for Portal XFERs?

DawgBiscuitDawgBiscuit Posts: 480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited December 2021 in Off Topic

Hope college footballs' NIL is NOT coming to Boosters creating "Go-Fund-Me" for Portal XFERs 😞😒

Comments

• Dawgs80Dawgs80 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That's absolutely what's happening. The boosters are pooling money for the NIL deals for recruits. Look at A&M and you can already see it. Big pockets are going to control the game going forward. It's the same thing SMU got the death penalty for but now it's legal.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,566 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Boosters are basically funding the head coaches salary and funding the facilities war. Now this.

Obviously there are some boosters that this is just play money. But a lot of this is coming from successful Alums….attorneys, physicians, business owners, former athletes. Successful people that have the funds to help. But they aren’t unlimited. When will the push back occur.

And this isn’t meant to be a political statement. I’m as conservative as anybody….doesn’t matter. I think many would agree that there is a better way to use that money than just giving it to a bunch of offensive lineman that have done nothing to earn it.

Look what has happened to Texas offensive line recruiting since they announced that Texas O-line can now receive $150,000 per year.

• georgiaboygeorgiaboy Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The CFB that we knew and loved is dead! It will only get worse from here.

• QvoxQvox Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You are correct.

It's wild to think that what programs were getting nailed to the wall for in the '80s, '90s, and '00s is acceptable now. Hell, it's encouraged.

• QvoxQvox Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe it will too.

College football has changed more over the last four years then it did over the preceding forty years.

• HuckleberryHuckleberry Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Remember A. J. Green and what happened with him? Now, that is acceptable. We got burned by it though. This won't end well for the small college programs. We have had the big money boosters running some of the big programs for years. Now, it just got worse. There has to be something done to control the money issues. A cap to the money that a player can receive? A couple of so years ago there was the new rule that allowed universities to pay some of the expenses outside of the scholarship money. That was abused too. Schools found ways of jacking up the expenses to pay more than some of the others did. College football is a big time business. Will it eventually bankrupt itself?

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Texas is buying up the recruits you say? I wonder if anyone predicted this...

@Kasey

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You will basically see the NFL on a college level. I expect within five years, there will be one super conference that will have a SE, SW, mid-W and NW region. Maybe 30 teams who can play with the $ needed for paying players, too facilities and funding coaches. The rest of the programs (Wake, Tech, Vandy, Miss State…) will become the Canadian football league of college FB. I’m not sure Bama and Georgia can even compete with schools like A&M and USC when it comes down to strictly “who has the biggest bank accounts.”

• Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

But it should not be. This is what’s needed to be corrected. This is exactly the SMU situation. This is not NIL or should not be the intent of NIL. These players are being paid to play, not compensated for the profits made off their NIL.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

You predicted Texas. Looks like aTm is benefiting the most at the moment. Time will tell how much impact NIL will have on college football.

• HuckleberryHuckleberry Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wasn't it Clemson that had the IPTAY thing for a while? I pay $10 a year by boosters and fans? It helped fill the void of the big money boosters for them. Will something like that now be used to help the everyday working folks that can't pay thousands, hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars a year to their favorite institution to still feel a connection 😞? It is going to be hard for fans to ante up enough money to pay for tickets to the games knowing that they are watching rich 18 to 22 year old young men that are making more in a year than they are in a lifetime for some of them. And to top it off they are still in college, some of them right out of high school. I just don't know why this was allowed to get so out of control. I know there was a court ruling but it left the door wide open for this to happen. The NCAA or possibly the schools themselves should have reached an agreement that everybody could live with. We already see division 2 schools come play the big boys for a big payday every year. Now, will the schools in division one that don't have the money that the big boys are throwing around be forced to start doing the same thing? High school football in Georgia has pretty much had to divide the big boy schools with the big money boosters clubs to play in another division. That was why the 7 A came about. It is a rich man's division. The same thing happened in class single A with the regular schools against the private schools that joined them. There was a big competitive disadvantage with some of them. They could also recruit players to play for them. Are we entering an anything goes era for college football? I hope everybody comes to their senses and agrees to do something. Lane Kiffin may be controversial but he did say what everybody already knows. He was vocal about it. He might get the cold shoulder from the big boy schools but he spoke his peace. It has to be frustrating for most of the schools at a disadvantage. The rich just got richer. You already have some of the bigger schools with facilities that boggle the imagination, now they can throw money at the players too. What can you do for me has to be first question to come from a high school player being recruited now.

I have long been a person that enjoyed watching high school football. My son played high school football. My wife and I went to every game for four years. We both fell in love with it. It is still one of my favorite things to watch on tv. The past week when all of the Georgia high school championships were on GPB was great for me. I watched some of every game, some of them the entire game when possible. Will a lot of fans of the college game now turn away from it and to the high school games? We already see ESPN airing high school games. Will it become the next thing we ruin 😣?

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

It seems to be spiralling out of control. It'll probably have to collapse completely before it can be rebuilt. I don't know if this new system will attract new fans, but I really fear some of the old fans will walk away. Especially for the mediocre programs that will be permanently stuck there.