Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

University Presidents can fix this

Comments

• DawgwiredDawgwired Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

They need to start a g league and see how well that does. A few are making it off their perceived high school ranking which is debatable but most are making it because they play at a big time program. The players get plenty already and I’m all for their being some additional compensation that is equal across the board. However keep in mind only the top programs can afford any of that. but this will get out of hand and be abused. Start a g league and this will end it. Just look at basketball. Does any one watch the g league? Nope does anyone watch Jackson st.? Nope. I did yesterday and that was worse than high school football. Travis will have buyers remorse soon. Can’t imagine him choosing to miss big time Saturday games for that when he could’ve gotten a similar type deal somewhere else. It was a publicity stunt for prime time and all you have to do is look at his coaching outfit yesterday to see it. Travis’s high school might come close to beating Jackson state. He got bad advice and that’s where this will lead. No way he’s there in 2-3 years. He better save that 1.5mm but I’m sure he will get bad advise on that too

Good post and right on. Texas am would’ve never landed that class with out buying a lot of those recruits.

• pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wonder how all the boosters who are doling out millions of dollars for recruits are going to react when their teams continue to go 8-4 every year. (Looking at you, Jimbo) Not a very good return on investment.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

I had on-campus job in college and I can guarentee the football and basketball players generated more revenue than I did.

I got paid more though

I also had scholarships that covered tuition and other costs. Didn't pay much out of pocket or have tons of loans

• donmedeirosdonmedeiros Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Was that at Yale ? I always thought the Ivies didn't give athletic scholarships. How do they get around that ? I know they are endowed and must have some scholarship help of some kind available to athletes.

edited December 2021

I went to UGA for my bachelor's degree and Yale for my PhD

The Ivies don't give "athletic" scholarships but they definitely give preference to recruited athletes for admission and have pretty decent financial aid. @texdawg is likely more familiar with that than me

What kind of scholarships did you get? Academic? Most of these kids wouldn’t make it in these schools if not for football and the lax requirements for football players

Oh yeah I know. I'm totally fine with letting exceptional athletes into college for sport. Fixing k-12 education is a different, complicated issue entirely. I also think public universities should be affordable for everyone, so you don't have to come from wealthy family or be good at sports to go to college without insane debt afterwards.

Yup, lowering the cost of higher education is one of the best ways to fight back against the coastal elites

• PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bdw3184 I agree with a lot of your concerns, but the genies are out, so it's really a question of how to interpret the ruling and rules. That's not going to be easy. Those who figure it out quickly will be long term winners. Again, the NCAA tried to "fix" this already. The SCOTUS unanimously shot them down.

Let me give you a hypothetical situation to illustrate. Let's say that a group of Dawg supporters band together to advertise to their clients via their favorite pastime. We will throw in car dealerships, farm equipment dealerships, restaurants, stores, construction companies, medical practices, veterinary practices, law offices, TV/media stations, and anybody else you want to throw in to the mix. This powerful group of UGA alums budgets 34 million per year for licensing. For participating you get to use the NIL of our players within the specified parameters negotiated. So your business throws in a few hundred thousand because you want to advertise at your car dealership. So, let's divide 34MM by 85 scholarships. How much to we come up with per player? $400,000 per student per year. Obviously, I was making all of that up and I didn't intend it to be realistic, but you get the idea. In reality, I could see them paying based on HS rankings for TFs because that gives the best indication of what they might do. As the players are at school, I could see the companies willing to pay more for greater accomplishments, and I could see it being statistically based.

You've heard about the guy who was stuck on making buggy whips 100 years ago, or the guy who was making landline telephones 15 years ago? We have to realize when things change, or we will become equally obsolete and bankrupt. Things have changed in CFB. Yes, it might be worse than the wild west at this point.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,566 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ivy League is 100% need based. And every team uses the same application for financial aid.

However, recruited athletes get admissions privilege. Athletes have to be outstanding students but not quite at the level of regular students.

If you are a FCS level athlete, terrific student and come from a family with below avg financial means…Ivy league is an awesome opportunity. Because most or all will be paid for. And the internship opportunities are incredible.

• philipsmith99philipsmith99 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Be careful when we bring in federal govt not confident that they can actually fix anything.

• philipsmith99philipsmith99 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He was good at football, coach needed him to play, he got passed along to college coach. College coach also needed him to play.

• WtkWtk Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The only thing that has changed is students on scholarship can now make a business contract. And get paid. They could have had this years ago if they taken it to court. We have sent this for a season now. Nothing that matters has changed.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,566 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A significant amount of things have changed. I don’t remember anyone suggesting that players shouldn’t be compensated for NIL.

But much of this compensation isn’t from NIL.

Plus this thread is about how the Presidents should make it more about education.

• emanresuemanresu Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Texas A&M is not gonna b an 8-4 Football team for a while after this year but admittedly that SEC West is brutal so if can u throw enough $$$ at a problem.................................

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How should universities make it more about educating athletes? Athletes have everything they need to succeed in the classroom, and more resources available than any regular student has.

You listed 7 bullet points on your OP of what universities need to do. Universities are already doing these things. Just trying to understand your post since universities are already doing what you’re asking for.