Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

University Presidents can fix this

124»

Comments

• Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree 100%! I believe that, because we have not seen booster pooling (at least that fact has not been made public if it is happening) and have seen only a few instances of NIL engagements and, also, truly I believe our coaching staff does a great job of development and education with our players concerning the issues involved, we fans have not had to deal with the issues head on.

But now is the time to get ahead of this thing. It needs to start somewhere!

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

#6 Pretty sure Tex was asking universities to support students with other needs that may arise while attending their universities, not NIL. It’s too vague of a point to even debate.

#7 they’re allowing them to make money off the things Tex asked for. So, I see this as meeting his demands.

As for your questions:

Who's managing this? The NCAA is “managing” it based off what the Supreme Court told them they had to do. Universities educate their players on NIL deals and to be careful about their deals (kind of like the NFL and their rookie orientation, I imagine schools have/or will add financial advice too). Parents and those close to the players are obviously going to offer their advice as well. As far as boosters pooling money, I’m not against a rule change here, but it’s not currently illegal. Even with rule changes, they’ll find a workaround to get players they really want. Just like pre-NIL.

Why the disagreement? I’ve been asking questions because Tex made a lot of his OP about education, and education is something the universities are doing really well at. So I feel a lot of his post is irrelevant. No disrespect to Tex, just stating my opinion.

He also stated universities shouldn’t cater to players rights. Disagree again. Not saying you have to baby them, but they help universities make a lot of money, they deserve a voice.

I don’t think it’s a huge issue, but only time will tell. The same teams that do well in recruiting did well again this signing day. A few teams moved a few spots up and down in the recruiting rankings, but it’s really similar to what we’re accustomed to seeing. I also think they’ll adjust the rules if needed in the years to come, so no need to be up in arms about it.

• PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fair enough. I’ll readily admit I don’t have the answers and it’s probably too much too expect University Presidents to agree on anything.

Like you say, Universities are doing a good job of educating, much better than they probably ever have. And much of the points I made are being done.

But that is my whole point. Things are going away from that right now and there really is not a governing body.

My point, and I stand by it, is that University Presidents can double down on the education. My point was never to suggest that football players have no rights…of course they do… but it is a privilege to play college football and not a right.

I certainly don’t want to make myself out to be something that I am not…but I literally deal with this stuff almost every day. And it is absolutely changing college football and hurting opportunities for many kids. The transfer portal is destroying significantly more lives than it is helping and the money pouring in that is not NIL related, is going to be a disaster. Can’t imagine how anyone can’t see that.

Like I said, I wish University presidents would circle up…make it about education, put in strict ground rules and move forward.

But truthfully, I believe nothing will be done. Many HS kids in the next three classes will get screwed. Boosters will corrupt the system…eventually decide it isn’t worth it and the college game I grew up loving will be gone.

You can ask all the questions you want, question my logic all you want but nothing will convince me that this isn’t a F ing mess that won’t end well.

And I say it’s because the college presidents don’t have the balls to fix it.

• WtkWtk Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

And. two persons have the right to do business. The courts have spoken. NILs are here to stay. The presidents understand their limitations.

Everyone in this thread has supported NIL. No one has suggested that athletes shouldn’t be paid for their NIL

• SWDawg68SWDawg68 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That is reasonable and you have dulled the edge of the issue a little for me, which helps!

I guess we can "wait and see" what happens and hopefully, I and others will be presently surprised by the outcome, even though there isn't any precedent of it happening before in college football!

This is not me "getting the last word in" or taking a "parting shot", because I think we have reached a neutral ground on what we believe.

I may be jaded, more than willing to admit that, but I have seen this type of dance before and when it comes to Universities, NCAA, Conferences, Coaches, Players and Boosters, when it involves THE money, they will beg for forgiveness, rather than ask for permission.

The facts from you include the NCAA will govern this policy shift, as ordered by the Supreme court ruling; I am still apprehensive with that, because they have more to lose than anyone. Will they put the athletes before their own interests? Because history proves an entirely different outcome to those type of scenarios, not even close.

For the sake of the game and most importantly, all of the athletes affected by this, I hope you are 100% correct! But, in my mind, one is too many and when this does come to light, the numbers will be staggering!

Tex's point is accurate - Universities should stick to providing education, it is what they are built to do and Georgia is Elite in that capacity. Can you say the same about the NCAA and their ability to manage athletes and programs for fairness, equal opportunity, rules and structure of NILs and boosters?....because I can't!

Wonderful topic @texdawg, great input to @Bdw3184 and @Teddy (you succeeded as the devil's advocate)

• donmedeirosdonmedeiros Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Would love to hear what you are able to share from these meetings, even if only very general "trends" etc.

I’ll certainly share what I can. Hopefully weather is good next Thursday.

• SWDawg68SWDawg68 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You don't need a rah-rah speech from me, but I would ask you to go into the first, second and last conversation with the same passion you have displayed here. I have a dawg in this hunt, so it really matters to me more than just a "Love of the Game"!

They will nod their heads with agreement and please don't take that as acceptance. Once they are fully aware of your relationship to the issue, they will be more compelled to believe and in doing so, you have Made a Difference!!

Good luck with your golf game, the other part doesn't require it!

Please let us know what you can, but I would think they would want some autonomy with their responses!

edited December 2021

Go for it Tex! Just remember if you have to throw a few strokes to get the message across it’ll be worth it!

And remember, that it never rains on golf day!

• DawgnSCDawgnSC Posts: 111 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think all teams have been skirting around, bending, and mostly breaking the rules to recruit the best players. That’s been going on for years. They recruit high school kids to other high school these days. Most kids graduate from teams. Those guys I commend. The guys need to realize there is life after ball. College sports is crazy. The portal, NIL, coaches salaries. I read that the receiver for the Bills, Beasley, makes 261k per game. It would take me years to make that. The problem is money, and will always be, in my opinion.

Beat Michigan! GATA!!!

• HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Anyone who believes that college football isn’t a free minor league for the NFL is kidding themselves.

• pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree, Tex. Painting with a very broad brush.

A minor league for the NFL is sure not what it is intended to or should be.

• WtkWtk Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

And it is a free minor league for every business who hires a graduate . Nothing wrong with that.