Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Todd Monken: ‘No doubt’ Georgia can win national championship with Stetson Bennett at quarterback

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited December 2021 in Article commenting
imageTodd Monken: ‘No doubt’ Georgia can win national championship with Stetson Bennett at quarterback

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — Georgia offensive coordinator Todd Monken has coached a national championship quarterback before in the NFL, and he believes he’s coaching one now in the form of Stetson Bennett at Georgia.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ugastafford7ugastafford7 Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

I'm not quite certain everyone is watching the same games. While efficient for most of the year, I haven't seen "National Championship" throws at all. Love the dawgs regardless who plays but if poor qb play denies us a Natty this year it will always be what if. Go Dawgs!!

• ChewDawgChewDawg Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don't care who's the QB, GA will beat Michigan and go on to win the National Championship. You can either be a part of it, or you can resign your membership as a GA Bulldogs fan right now. We don't need bandwagon fans who eats their own when times are tough. Either you stay loyal or leave. Get mad all you want and say whatever you want, but that's the sentiment of all "REAL" GA Bulldogs' fans.

• UGADawgUGADawg Posts: 68 ✭✭✭ Junior

When 1 QB only gets 30% of the 1st team reps, how do we know what that QB would look like today if instead they received 70% of 1st team reps? Now imagine that started the week of the Tennessee game? 4 games ago, and by game time this week - 8 weeks of practice.

It’s the same problem as before - CKS and/or his staff can’t see the forest for the trees. Does anyone really believe JT Daniels wouldn’t have looked good against Tennessee, Charleston Southern, and GA Tech? Take away the argument of who’s the better QB - does anyone not agree that if JT was the starting QB for those 3 games and had the benefit of 3 weeks of practice at 70% 1st team reps that he would be better than he is right now? Add in a week of practice for the Alabama game, the benefit of playing in the Alabama game (win or loss), and then the benefit of 4 more weeks of practice at 70% instead of 30%. Now how does he look?

This is the problem. I’m sure SB4 is better than JTD right now. Because JTD hasn’t been afforded the same opportunity as SB4. What sucks is that It’s too late now! The bed has been made! What do you expect CKS and staff to say? They HAVE to talk up SB4 to give him as much confidence as possible.

Can we win it all with SB4? - yes I BELIEVE WE CAN WIN. And for the sake of the players, the coaching staff, as well as the UGA fans all over the world - I hope we do. But what if we lose and SB4 doesn’t play so well again? That’s on the coaches. It’s not on the players and it’s not on the fans. If we lost with JTD at QB there wouldn’t be this narrative that we should have played SB4. Unfortunately, the reverse of that statement will never be true.

• DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Monken: "It never went back the other way, when JT got a chance to get in there.” What? When was that? You didn't play the guy, even when getting waxed in the SEC Championship. Or earlier, when winning big, it was hand-off duty for JT and Carson B. What "chance" was that exactly?

This has just become tiring. Let's go play football and JT can figure out where he's going to play next year. It certainly won't be as a backup.

And, if the call comes due to necessity this year, I fully expect he'll buckle his chin strap and do his job. Note that you hear nothing negative from him, ever. Solid dude, all the way around.

• DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

So now we're doing the "toe the party line or you're cancelled" thing? Sorry. Doesn't work that way. Still a free country, last I checked.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

Folks, I love Stet, but just like Fromm he will never be a starting QB in the NFL. Can he win the big games against the best opponents? So far, the answer is no. Think Bo Nix. IMHO, I just don't know if he can win these next 2 games. I hope he plays the best games of his career Friday and hopefully on January 10th, but I'm not counting on it. I hope I'm wrong.

Against the best opponents - Bama last year and this season, along with Florida last season (remember, they won the SEC East), Stet threw a total of (6) interceptions. The facts are the facts. That kind of play won't win a Natty.

Call me negative, call me not a true fan. I call me a realist who, like many others, just question Stet's abilities when it comes to the biggest games against the best opponents. I'm ready to eat my words and proven wrong.

I hope Stet reads this and all the other comments. Maybe it fires him up. It should.

• HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As much as I like SB and all he has done, the continued embellishment of his accomplishments and pass quality is a bit too much. There weren’t any NFL type throws in the SEC game and there won’t be going forward. Maybe he can lead the Dawgs to victory, but there is no way he is a better QB or gives UGA a better chance of winning over a health JTD. Just not possible and just because someone questions the choice, certainly doesn’t mean they should turn in their “fan card”. Debate with facts and not emotion - all views are welcome.

• Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Mike you don't seriously believe that Bennett is a better quarterback than Daniels do you? Of course his coach was going to come out and say positive things about the kid. This guy wasn't even getting second team reps during the spring game or the preseason but all of a sudden a miracle happened. I think JT was hurt during that first game and they played him anyway. But when he came back healthy we should have worked him back into the system and got him ready. If our running game is working Bennett can win the football game but when we have to pass to win it gets **** quick Alabama has proved that twice already but hey let's do it for the third time. After the season the transfer portal will tell the real story about the quarterback situation.

edited December 2021

@BigMike....Dawgs were in the Red Zone at least 3 different times in the 2nd half against Bama and didn't score a single point.

You blame our loss entirely on the defense?

I'd argue McNamara is a much better QB than Stet even though they are similarly average to a bit above average QBs. He beat Iowa. He beat Ohio State. If Stet is the best we've got to win a Natty this season, what are the odds that we can do it?

@BigMike....valid points, but Bennett was still the leader of the offense and the offense failed miserably. I think that's what counts.

I'm ready to end this discussion after Friday. One of us is going to be wrong. I hope it's me.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

Monken and Smart must be laughing their heads off with the QB experts who point out every wart Stetson has while ignoring issues like: JT scoring ONLY 3 points against Clemson….or JT converting ONLY 1 third down attempt out of 11 tries against Cincinnati…or JT throwing ONLY 1 TD pass in 8 quarters against Clemson and Cincinnati. That’s 1 TD pass dudes….horrible at best. Bennett had 3 against the #1 team in the country and did it twice. Even Justin Fields was only able to complete 1 TD pass against Bama. Good grief guys, give the Mailman a break!!!

edited December 2021

@BubbaBill....what you failed to mention was that despite those hiccups, Daniels won those games against Clemson and Cincy. On the other hand, Stetson has LOST the (3) toughest games of his career - (2) against Bama and (1) against Florida last season. In fact, those games weren't even close. We got manhandled and lost miserably. All that matters in the end is winning the game. Throw the stats and mistakes out the window if you win.

If Stet is the best that we've got then I'd be VERY pleasantly surprised if we can win a Natty. I'd love to be proven wrong.

• RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 174 ✭✭✭ Junior

Well folks, it is now in writing. There is no grey area. There is no debate. The program has hitched its national championship wagon to Bennett. Monken will either be right or he will be vilified as the offensive version of Willie Martinez. There are no excuses not to win the national championship on the offensive side of the ball. The OC says we have a national championship caliber QB.

In the larger picture Kirby will be proven right or we will look back on the season as a painful miss because the wrong QB was chosen; a self inflicted fatal wound. This is the ultimate risk/reward position with a national championship in the balance. And it is the ultimate pass/fail credibility test for Kirby as everyone has watched Bennett play with their own eyes against Alabama twice.