Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Stetson Bennett: ‘I’m going to play football this year — we’ll see where’

SystemSystem Posts: 7,421 admin
edited January 2022 in Article commenting
imageStetson Bennett: ‘I’m going to play football this year — we’ll see where’

Will Stetson Bennett return to UGA next season for a sixth year of college football? Or will Bennett ride out on top, making Monday’s national championship game his final appearance as quarterback for the Bulldogs?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"We will see if I can trust the decisions made by the staff, and we will see where I’m going to play."

Ugh. That only means one thing, that the staff has guaranteed that he'll be the default starter unless he loses the job. So, JT and Beck will be gone. Will Vandagriff leave as well?

• Options
    DawgInTallyDawgInTally Posts: 18 ✭ Freshman

Take the win, Stet. You have the chance to do what very few athletes have the chance to do; go out on top. This championship is the absolute APEX of a Georgia football experience. Thanks for all you have done. You are now a living legend. Take the win.

• Options
    jaxDawg2jaxDawg2 Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

The "trust the staff" comment is ****. Not unforgivable, necessarily, but ****.

• Options
    crazygto715crazygto715 Posts: 482 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Play as long as you can young man! Enjoy it. You’ve earned it. Hopefully it’s with us for one more ride!

• Options
    jaxDawg2jaxDawg2 Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

(I didn't use any foul language in that edited post ... I used an a synonym for "unattractive", that also starts with "U". Wow, that's some serious word restriction.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

kirkhilles, I don't see how you get that Bennett's words suggest the staff has guaranteed him the starters position.

Seems to me, it's more likely an ultimatum on Bennett's part. Assure me the job or I'm going to shop my services...

• Options
    DoggoneDoggone Posts: 100 ✭✭✭ Junior

Sounds like everyone is getting ahead of themselves. Chill. Enjoy the win...at least for a few weeks. Cut all of the speculation. He knows how the system works. If he can work within those boundaries great. If not, he is a college grad and hopefully has enough sense to know what to do.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It sounds like an ultimatum If you take it at face value. That won’t be good for Stetsons return. Kirby will not roll like that. Plus you have Vandagriff who has really been impressing the staff, you have Stockton coming in and could possibly be the best thing since sliced bread, by the sound of it, you are going to have a new OC. No way Kirby can handcuff a new OC with a guaranteed QB who may not be the best on the team. I’m a Mailman fan but if it is an ultimatum, Cut the ties and move on.

Look for Stetson to hit the portal soon. I hope Kirby resolves the issue quickly.

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Uh, just wondering.... if Stetson Bennett is the greatest QB in UGA history (as I've seen and heard argued), why is the NFL not on his list?

He's a football maniac but doesn't want to play in "The League?" Hmmm. And nobody's even asked him the question?

Also, all the stories about Bama/Saban being over and done, how the crown has moved to Athens: Does anybody actually know anything about the AL roster, specifically age and experience, vis-a-vis UGA's, which was loaded with upper-classmen and 21-22 year old dudes? And who does UGA lose next year off of that glorious defense? A load. And we jump on a bandwagon based on one game with 2-3 plays that would have changed the outcome, AL w/o their top two receivers and playing with #4 and 5 DBs and safeties playing out of position?

I'd say let's just wait and see what happens next year and whether or not AL fades into the sunset. In fact, let's see if UGA wins the East.

But, as for Stetson, **** Good Dawg. But I, for one, do not believe that his returning for a 6th year would be in the best interest of his beloved school. But my opinion doesn't matter, to him or anyone. Dudes got a flip phone so he's not worried about the fan noise. He's entitled to live his life as he wishes and if that's his decision, so be it, and we go from there.

Just don't let JT go to UF. Please. Okay, or UT. Alright, the entire SEC. He's a great dude and I wish him well. But if he's not coming back, I see that as a loss for the UGA program.

Oh, BTW, initial odds on the 2022 Heisman: (1) Bryce Young, (2) CJ Stroud, (3) JT Daniels. I know. We live in a very weird world when it comes to Kirby and his quarterbacks.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Exactly. Well said. He has enough sense to know what to do and so do the coaches ( Kirby). It’ll all work it’s self out in due time.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I seriously doubt Kirby will guarantee any player anything. Kirby doesn’t even guarantee a player to play less alone Start. He has even said in his recruiting process he tells recruits that if they come to UGA they must earn playing time. I trust Kirby. And I also trust Stets. Young man is probably bone tired. On that Tuesday morning after that fierce battle I wouldn’t be shocked if he stumbled over his words and thoughts some. Not to mention he might have indulged in some celebratory brewskis lol !! WAY to early to start reading allot into it and worrying over it. It’ll all work out. Kirby is on it be assured !!

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2022

It will be just plain dumb for Stet to transfer! Dawg fans have long memories and value loyalty. To transfer even after winning the natty would be perceived as disloyal and tarnish his storybook image.

That being said, Kirby will make no guarantees. Kirby is well aware that the missing link to a UGA dynasty that rivals Bama is elite QB play. Bennett lead us to the promise land and deserves our love and admiration. But, in no way, shape, or form could his play be argued as being elite.

JT lead the team to all of 3 points against the worst Clemson team in a decade. No game he has played at USC nor UGA smacked of elite QB.

Vandegriff has even more elite qualities than Brice Young in size, arm strength, athleticism, and most likely, football IQ. If the staff have been developing him the way Bama was developing Young behind Jones, he may well be the missing link

My hope is that Stet will become a grad assistant keeping him working in the QB room, go to law school and get his JD-MBA, then live like a king.