Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

A closer look at Stetson Bennett’s puzzling comment

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited January 2022 in Article commenting
imageA closer look at Stetson Bennett’s puzzling comment

Now that UGA’s championship parade is over, and most of the team’s NFL-eligible players have announced their intentions, Bulldogs coach Kirby Smart will now slowly turn his attention to next season.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2022

Hmmm...a lot of speculation and guesses from Stet's comments.

IMHO, I do not think that Kirby would consider bringing in another QB from the portal. There is simply no reason to do that with the elite talent we have in our pockets. And Stet understands the way Kirby operates, so I can't imagine him "demanding" or "expecting" that he's got the starting job next season. He simply doesn't have that kind of power over what Kirby does. And, besides, Kirby would be foolish to guarantee anyone a starting QB position at this point. I think the "trust" issue he mentioned is probably misunderstood by us and means something else (#4). The only other guess I might have is the fact that there could be an uncertainty (a "trust") that Stet has concerning whether or not a particular coach will return next season. We've seen coaches all over the country leave programs for better opportunities elsewhere. The question of "loyalty" to a program can apply as much to a coach or assistant as to a player that wants to transfer. You can't judge a person for wanting to take other offers or find other opportunities. Loyalty goes only so far in college football for many folks.

Even if Stet comes back next season, then I believe Kirby will let the players compete for the starting job in the Spring...as it should be. And I think at the very least, Carson Beck will end up in the portal.

• Dawgfan1995Dawgfan1995 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭ Junior

"What did Stetson mean?" is going to be the "JT Daniels is better" of the offseason here, isn't it?

• dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

At some point Smart has to commit to the 5 star recruits that committed to the G. If not, he won't have any.

• MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't think Stetson has done himself any favors in the manner in which he's communicated since the "Huge Performance" by all Monday night.

My personal opinion is he would be better suited at this point of his life to complete his career at UGA and probably football and start planning his financial future and the rest of his life.

Best wishes to Stet, he's been as fine a DGD as there has ever been.

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Maybe I'm reading too much into Bennett's "trust" comment, but it seems off base and somewhat disrespectful.

Also, Bennett's father did an interview and, said. “The kid loves the game, loves the University of Georgia but nobody could love what he went through this year,” his father said. “Nobody. Man, it was really bad. ... I never dreamed that it could be as bad as it was on a 14-1 national championship team.”

Don't get me wrong, I understand what Bennett's father is talking about, but it's the University of Georgia. Any QB who plays for UGA is going to get picked apart. It would've been the same for Daniels.

On the other side of that issue. The majority of the fans wanted Daniels to start. Yet, despite that sentiment and despite the fact that Daniels is a former 5-star, Kirby gave the starting job to Bennett, a former walk-on. How many coaches would've picked a walk-on over a 5-star? Seems to me the Bennett's should be more appreciative for their opportunity.

• CapeCawdDogCapeCawdDog Posts: 18 ✭✭ Sophomore

That interview did not showcase SBIV at his best in a number of ways. Just as Stetson had to learn (and learn & learn & ... etc) to deal with pressure on the field, he's going to have to learn how to deal with pressure off the field, a by-product of success.

Especially if law is his calling - the best attorneys are unflappable, always speak with forethought and aren't afraid to sidestep gracefully, like Stetson did the next day: haven't had a chance to talk it out, I'll get with Kirby on that.

Pressure is a privilege 😉

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2022

No, the vast majority of Dawg fans trusted Kirby and Monken to make the best QB decision for this team…which they obviously did.

When are fans ever going to learn that recruits leave their stars at the door when they get to campus. Example: Dean was a five star recruit that developed into a five star college player. JT was a five star recruit that never showed more than four star college talent at USC nor UGA.

We all know where Stet started, but he ended up a slightly higher rated four star college QB than JT.

Perhaps Bennett has hit his ceiling and. JT can return and develop into a five star college QB the way Dean developed this year. But, as for 2021, the coaches didn’t care about HS stars and went with the best QB for this team.

• KudzuKudzu Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Spot on! Really good thinking…. This is the best case I can think of, although I think one of the (unfortunately) less likely! :(

• DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Doesn't SB IV need to graduate? If he's already at UGA in the econ department (@Terry), kinda nuts to leave, right? If he stays and graduates (with a high enough GPA), then he's got to apply, take the LSAT, and get into UGA Law (no slam dunk), but no better spot if he can pull that off. Why would he transfer? Again? Away from UGA after a Natty? Doesn't make a lot of sense but it's his call. If he wants to stay and wants to be 1st string QB in 2022, that's not his call. Can only stick around and go compete for the job. But I just don't see him leaving UGA, to go where exactly?

More likely he'll come back, presumably with a leg up in the QB room, considering he's now on a pedestal throughout Dawg Nation.

Then you're likely to lose JT (who is #3 on the initial betting line for the 2022 Heisman behind Bryce Young and CJ Stroud). I do NOT see him sticking around to be a backup QB. That would be true insanity. So SB stays, JT leaves, and you've got SB/Brock VdG as 1 and 2. OK. That's ONE possibility.

But hey, deciphering the "trust" thing, who knows. Only SB. Maybe he's been given "assurances" that amount to a serious shot at being the DAWG next year but that they can't "guarantee" positions (which they say they never do, as every coach says - whether or not they're being straight). And SB is having to process what that assurance means. But again, only he knows what he meant.

Another question is Monken. He didn't come to UGA to run this offense, though he adapted when KS gave the ball to Stetson. He's a pro-style, spread guy who made his rep that way. They changed the offense to suit Stetson, because he was the guy. So, guess we have to read Todd's mind as well. More likely to return to the NFL to do his thing? Who knows.

All this mind-reading makes my head hurt. Maybe I'll just wait to see what people actually do and leave the tea leaves to the swamis.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2022

Lincoln Riley gave a walk-on the starting position over 4 and 5 star QBs. That player’s name is Baker Mayfield. Here we go again with the trash talk. If Bennett starts it was “”given” to him, but if JT starts he “earned it”. Please folks….stop this proven nonsense.

• ConcernedConcerned Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

He was working on 2 hours sleep...hungover. I wouldn't put any stock in his comments...sure he doesn't remember saying them.

That being said, congratulations to Stetson and the DOGS!!