Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia fans give thanks, even if they don’t prefer Stetson Bennett, or pass on the cranberry sauce

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited January 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia fans give thanks, even if they don’t prefer Stetson Bennett, or pass on the cranberry sauce

ATHENS — If there’s one thing all Georgia football fans can agree on, it’s that this is a time to give thanks.

Read the full story here

Comments

• HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MikeGriffith I assume you can’t disclose your source concerning Georgia aggressively pursuing Caleb Williams? Or did I miss something?

• ChopperChopper Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good article Mike.

• khummelkhummel Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2022

Our QB room, and competition for starter, is stronger with SB in it. Every position group should hope to have that kind of depth (and most at UGA do). May the pre-season battles be fierce, and the collective growth be obvious... and the truly best player (regardless of age) get the nod at gametime, with 2s and 3s fully ready in case 1 gets injured or falters. Go Dawgs!

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks, great article. We ARE very excited and very grateful even when we are critical. THAT is what being a fan is all about. If you don't have an opinion on everything related to your team, then are you REALLY a fan? If I watching my kids play sports, I'm going to be super-positive and cheering them on even in a complete blowout. For the local High School team, I'm not going to boo or be critical no matter what the score is.

The difference is that I'm not a "fan" of those organizations. I'm a SUPPORTER. I don't cry when the team loses and honestly I just want them to have a good time without injuries. 

But I'm a Georgia FAN. It matters to me. I'm sorry if that hurts some feelings if players read my comments, but lets be real here. These aren't kids. With NIL deals, they aren't even "semi-professional" anymore. Minor League players don't get these types of deals and the deal sizes are only going to grow exponentially. For Top 5 programs, it IS the big leagues and Big League-ers get endless highs and lows from their fans. 

I try to be as rational and logic as I can, but again. I'm a fan.

• TrippTripp Posts: 512 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Take in to consideration the amount of improvement Bennett made between 20 and 21 season, do you think he can come back even more improved in 22? Some say he has hit his ceiling but they probably said the same thing last year. I still think he has the room and ability to improve more. What concerns me most is Vandagriff, will this 6th year flush Brock?

• TrippTripp Posts: 512 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don’t like to assume but if Kirby is shopping the portal for a qb then I assume he is not confident in Brock or Becks progress or, he realizes the lack QB coaching development at Georgia. I don’t know it Kirby is shopping the portal for a QB or not, have not seen anything else outside of Dawgnation but I haven’t looked either.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2022

CKS has proven to be the master (or close to him) at building an elite program. Of course he is going to recruit players that can help from the TP. Mike Griffith is in error if he thinks that the majority of UGA fans did not prefer SBIV as their QB in '21. SBIV won the majority over over the course of the season. I hope that the Dawgnation editors are looking at Mike Griffith and his unrelenting criticism of SBIV. If his criticism of one single player continues he should be asked to move along and cover another team. SBIV is a GA folk hero. Give him some respect for his substantial accomplishments. EVERY UGA player needs to earn his playing time in practice every week in '22.

• DoggoneDoggone Posts: 100 ✭✭✭ Junior

Competition makes everyone better. If players use the portal supposedly to their advantage, then so can the teams. The portal now opens up all kinds of possibilities. It looks like it will turn everything into a free for all at the end of each year.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2022

I reread MG’s article and replaced Bennett’s name with Bryce Young’s. Pretty much all the same except Young had 2 losses instead of one. I bet the Bama writers won’t obsess over Young’s 1 TD, 2 interceptions and a pick-6….like MG has with Stetson’s 3 TDs, 2 INTs and a pick-6 in the SEC CG. I’m amazed at how so many people will blast Bennett for only scoring 24 points in each of his previous games against Bama prior to the NC game, while they ignore the fact that Justin Fields and Bryce Young only averaged 21 points in their big games. Go figure.

I agree. We don’t know whether Bennett has hit his ceiling. In truth, he hasn’t started that many games and, reportedly, he didn’t get many preseason reps with the 1’s this year or in the past. At the same time, there is clear improvement from last year to this year (for example, and without limitation, passes batted down at the line of scrimmage). I am hoping he leverages his in game experience over the last two years and comes out hot next year.

• USADawgUSADawg Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Enough already.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Outside of JT,who is no longer a DAWG, SB is the best QB to lead the team right this minute. For that I give thanks.

• randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm extremely grateful we have Stetson and glad he's returning, but I will admit I was one of his biggest critics throughout the year. Not because he was a bad QB, but because I think our O would have had a higher ceiling with JT. Congrats to Stetson on a phenomenal year and he'll go down as a UGA icon, but I believe JT would have also won the Natty. Nonetheless, I have "chosen" to trust CKS on the QB room eventhough I cringe much of the time. We hired and trusted CKS to make the tough calls, so if any of us have a "beef" it should be with him and not Stetson. Stetson is a baller and just wants to play ball. And it's hard to be too critical with a Natty in our pocket! As far as next year, for me it's all on Brock to prove he's the better QB. I believe he'll get that chance based on CKS making JT the starter vs. Clemson. So I'm way off the Stetson bashing bandwagon. And I hope Brock proves out his 5 star pedigree and makes the decision easy for CKS in 2022. If he doesn't, we have a solid QB in Stetson. Go 'Dawgs!

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Cranberries are great. No need to pass. Ever try crasins?

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2022

Griffith obviously, although covering the Dawgs on a daily basis, hasn’t been paying attention. Kirby’s entire coaching philosophy is that steel sharpens steel.

Griffith asks, “Why would Kirby be aggressively pursuing Williams?” Kirby has given the answer to that question at least a thousand times…to make the team better. Does that mean a guarantee that Williams would be the starter? Look at Kirby’s history! Not no, but *ell no!

Williams can come in and compete, the same opportunity Daniels had. But, if Bennett, Vandegriff, or even Stockton give the team the best chance to win or, best case scenario, prove to be elite, Williams would be no different than Daniels, regardless of the crap Kirby would take on social media and press from armchair QB experts!

In five years, Kirby has gotten the UGA talent level on par with Bama. Miraculous! No one knows better than Kirby that elite QB play is the missing piece to the puzzle to surpass Bama! He will not rest until he finds that piece. He knows it’s not Bennett just as he learned it wasn’t Daniels. Until he finds that piece, he will go with the QB who gives the Dawgs the best chance to win. I agree 100%!

• GBALGBAL Posts: 739 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

UPDATE: UGA has a group of former fans who are being encouraged to enter the Transfer Portal. If your program fan base should need a boost, this would be a great addition to your school. This group has been following and rooting for UGA thru the last 5 seasons in which UGA has 5 top 10 finishes (4 top 3) and 5 top 3 recruiting classes. They are all likely more knowledgeable of football and coaching than any members of your current coaching staff. Names include Zcupps, steve1995, rumdawg, bigdog89, vetdog, BG522,T_Dawg, MickyR, GardenDawg, TNDAWG81, prldawg & MGriff as honhorary captian of the group. The list is growing. Package deal.    GODAWGS!

edited January 2022

@street0123

”There is no doubt in anyone's mind whether they are pro or against Stet that JT Daniels would have had the same record as Stet and won the National Championship.”

Sorry, brother, but there IS extreme doubt in my mind about your conclusion. In my view, Stetson’s mobility and ability to tuck the ball and run was a major factor in the Orange Bowl (and throughout the season). His tenacity and focused, calm, and cool approach in the 4th quarter of NC was what turned the Tide (pun intended). Based on JT’s performance against Clemson (and other factors), 3 points scored by the offense, I have my doubts JT was ever capable of any of this. If JT had been the starter, I believe we would have never made it to the NC game.

These are merely my opinions, just as you have your own.

Go Dawgs!