Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia offense expected to continue to funnel through Stetson Bennett in spring drills

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited February 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia offense expected to continue to funnel through Stetson Bennett in spring drills

ATHENS — The Georgia offense is expected to look a lot like it did last season when spring practice begins next month with Stetson Bennett returning as the starting quarterback,.

Read the full story here

Comments

• GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

GREAT article Mike! I am sure there will be more surprises down the road, but for now, it looks like Georgia will be ready in the fall to defend the national title!

• 97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It'll also be interesting to see how much stronger Bennett is next year. I believe that a person can develop more strength well into their 20s, so Bennett's supposed liability of a throwing arm might surprise even more people. I remember him making several throws that conventional wisdom said he couldn't make this season.

• jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Vandergriff seems tailor made for this offense. I can't see him going anywhere. One more year, and he's the man. Gunner after that.

• doubledawg1990doubledawg1990 Posts: 107 ✭✭✭ Junior

One thing you can surely count on......? @MikeGriffith bromance with JT Daniels continues. If nothing else, at least come up with a few new tropes to cast SB in a negative light.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

[Offensive coordinator Todd Monken recently made it clear to UGA insiders that while the position continues to be evaluated daily, there are no preliminary plans for equal repetitions being split among the returning Bulldogs’ quarterbacks.]

Oh dear god. I had finally reached peace with this and now Vandagriff isn't even going to be allowed to play with the 1's? Guess we have confirmation from the coaches that guaranteed that Bennett would be starting pretty much no matter what.

Not even giving Vandagriff a chance... Geez, I wonder whether he'll transfer or not...

• JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 348 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Help!! How is a 3rd down conversion rate of 3.56 better than 3rd down conversion rates of 3.57 and 3.58? While all three are bad, aren’t 3.57 and 3.58 better than 3.56. 🤷‍♂️

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2022

I don’t understand why you are getting down votes for speaking the truth. MG has only positive things to say about JT and there are always the negative implications regarding Stetson. It’s amazing how he just can’t let it go. I’m confident we wouldn’t have been 14-1 had Bennett not been our QB. Thank goodness Kirby and his staff made the decisions based on what they saw at practices and not what they read from MG. Go Dawgs!!!

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Clearly, Bennett heard what he needed to hear from Smart to stay in Athens one more season rather than try his hand somewhere else." That is it for me. The QBs don't exist in a vacuum, so there will be discussion with the other QBs as well. Smart and Monken have a handle on this whole situation.....Natty in hand.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What do you want CKS to say? SB just led the team to the NC and he’s supposed to say its an open tryout? That’s pretty insulting.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don’t think for a moment that if some other QB in practice consistently outshines SB that KS won’ find a way(excuse)to get him to start. There will be a lot riding on the Oregon game for SB if he doesn’t perform well and someone else has looked better in camp

• DawgOnTheBeachDawgOnTheBeach Posts: 59 ✭✭✭ Junior

So MG pulls out the same article, makes a few changes and completes his daily assignment. If you want to read some new, insightful material check out Seth Emerson’s new series, “Glory Stories,” in The Athletic. Great journalism

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2022

Last preseason, there was nothing “historical” about the Dawg defense as evidenced by zero Dawgs being selected as preseason AP All Americans, first or second teams. This year’s D could be as good or better.

No “equal repetitions” doesn’t mean only Stet will get reps with the ones. It only means the reps won’t be equally divided by Stet and the other QBs. DUH!

• street0123street0123 Posts: 67 ✭✭✭ Junior

Hmm, so SB has never won the starting QB position, in fact the best he has ever been at the start of a season has been 3rd string. UGA will have some talented QB competing for that started spot, I would not assume that SB has the job locked up.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, I guess at this point, there isn't much to say until Spring Practices officially start.

I don't have a problem with Bennett. I really don't. I just don't like this situation where it doesn't seem like the other QBs are getting true opportunities. JT was forced out - he was. Heck, he still wants to finish his education at Georgia, but given his ability and his realistic chance at getting in the NFL he needs to go somewhere he can actually play.

It should be noted that "Transfer Season" HAS NOT ENDED YET. In fact, in some ways, it hasn't even started yet. If Vandagriff isn't getting the reps he needs and feels that he doesn't have a real shot at starting or at least getting enough playing time, he very well may transfer.

• GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

Agree! Vandergriff, could leave at any time this spring or summer. It sounds like many are OK with SB continuing....there is nothing wrong with being dependable when needed. I love my old Honda, reliably gets me to work and back safe. However, if I had a few sports cars in the garage it does not mean I am not taking them out for a spin! Let's give these exotic QBs in the room a chance show off what they have been doing during and in the off season!

• doubledawg1990doubledawg1990 Posts: 107 ✭✭✭ Junior

I love how people and writers talk/opine as if they sit in meetings with CKS and other high-level coordinators. And how every pass completion by SB is because of great catches my receivers while with other QBs it's because of precision passing. I've said this before, CKS has NO incentive whatsoever not to play the people who put the Dawgs in the best position to win.