Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

On The Beat: Georgia football springs forward with Super Bowl QB, Arch Manning watch continues

SystemSystem Posts: 10,694 admin
edited February 2022 in Article commenting
imageOn The Beat: Georgia football springs forward with Super Bowl QB, Arch Manning watch continues

ATHENS — The drumbeat hasn’t stopped for Georgia football with the Bulldogs and their fans eager to carry on the momentum of a CFP Championship season and Matthew Stafford’s Super Bowl victory.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    chilidawg1chilidawg1 Posts: 159 ✭✭✭ Junior

Arch is not coming to UGA. Why would he take a chance on adding himself to the list of 4 and 5 star QBs who came to Georgia and did not play. CKS is not even increasing the practice reps for Vandergriff which could result in him gaining ground on Stetson.

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,051 mod

The only thing you state correct in the comment is "Arch is not coming to UGA" The rest is total BS.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UGA does have a lot to offer in many ways for sure but getting up on a team and shortening the game by running out the clock in the late 3rd quarter and all the 4th quarter isn’t sexy as far as putting up eye popping numbers for going top 10 in the draft for a top QB , but who knows?

most teams that are inferior give you their best shot early on and tire in the 2nd half, and that’s when a team(QB) can really take advantage and put up the stats, but that’s not Kirby’s style

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well said UGADad20...!

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It’s being rumored that he is down to Alabama or Texas but there is still a long way to go.

I think Georgia is a long shot on this one and that’s ok. We have the studs already in the stable.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 533 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 2022

Cannot keep em all. I mean unless they want to be at UGA that bad. I am impressed with how Beck is battling. His HS coach said we was not the type to be deterred by the competition. Said he would not back out of his committment to UGA no matter who else came along. I respect that and he was the best QB last spring. He could be the next Stetson Bennett, meaning winning the job when not expected to win it. Personally, I expect Stockton to be the next starter at some point, just not sure when. Brock has not earned it yet, just got all the hype. Definitely was not ready last season.

As far as Manning goes, you do not know where he is going anymore than I do. It is where HE WANTS to spend his college years as well as the football program. Athens is pretty sweet and hard to top. Saban might not last through his career. Seriously. Texas, if they hire Cutcliffe, that would have to be intriguing and a strong pull. aybe Texas sucks again though or Sark gets fired. Never know. Sark is unproven but no doubt Manning would help him! UGA just being in the final 4 or 5 says a LOT. And, who knows, he might meet him a sweetie in Athens on a visit...never know what will be the deciding factor. Could be ANYTHING. But mostly where Arch WANTS to go. And that just might be UGA. Could be Ole Miss or the others. Who knows. Not us.

• Options

Maybe we should just fire Kirby and let you be coach? Yeah, lets let you takeover the program! Or, how about we just hire you to tell Kirby what to do? And then he does it...And that way you can keep a low profile and everyone will not know the college football genius that you are, and then you will not have ESPN and the SEC network and DawgNation articles plastering your name and face everywhere, then there would be all of the interview requests from all over the nation and lets not forget of course, the groupies. They would be following you and swooning at every move and word. Paparazzi too. It would be like Saban who? So shall we make you Kirby's behind the scenes guru or are you ready for the limelight and we fire Kirby tomorrow? I say we just fire him tomorrow and you be the man. Front and center. I think you got this...🙄

• Options
    GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

Reality will bite!

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 483 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The Manning family is not going to let Arch get anywhere near Kirby Smart. I don't blame them.

• Options
    NJEricNJEric Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior

To my mind the time to consider critiquing CKS's approach regarding Arch Manning has not arrived; as it would make sense only if Manning decides to go elsewhere. The bite of criticizing the lack of use of some of the 5 star QBs happily was lost when Georgia won the Natty. It might have been open season perhaps if they had lost that game, but KS deserves support at this time since what he decided to do worked for the first time in 40 years!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I would love to get him, although we don't need him, it's almost an embarrasment of riches in the QB room. However, If you are looking at going somewhere to play for a NC AND to get to air it out 40 times per game, which team fits that bill the closest? UGA or BAMA? Honest answer please.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2022

I disagree. I gave numerous reasons below why they would. Manning is going to be Manning no matter how many times he "airs it out" per game. His strengths, weaknesses and talent will be obvious as a starting QB in the SEC. Who says the Mannings want to "air it out 40 times" per game? I would thin k they would want Arch 1) protected 2) be well coached 3) be in a position to win every game 4) be well coached in a PRO STYLE OFFENSE. After all he will be a PRO QB in a few years. Just because CKS coached a SBIV QB'd team a certain way DOES NOT MEAN CKS would coach a Arch Manning team the same way. To think that is either pushing an anti CKS narrative or just plain dumb. They used to say the same thing about Saban until he got better throwing QB's (Tua). You think if SBIV was 6'4" and 215 lbs (like Arch) he would be a 1st rd pick after the stats he put up last season? Yes he would. Manning will be a rd 1 pick on name alone just for the excitement he brings and the tickets he sells. No matter how over the top he showcases his abundant talent. He can do all that, easily, at UGA. I do believe Saban's recruiting pitch is that he will guarantee staying at AL as long as Arch is there (barring health issues). I believe it will come down to UGA vs AL. Those are the 2 best programs in the SEC (country). aTm has a huckster coach. MS? You think the Mannings are going to let Kiffin anywhere near Arch? NO! Take away the NIL incentive. Money is not a consideration for the Mannings in this situation. TX does not have the team to surround Arch that UGA or AL does and Sark is not the coach CKS or Saban are. UGA had a good shot to land Arch. Now will he be worth losing Beck, BVG and Stockton? Cannot answer that until all their college careers are over.

• Options
    CrushmoreCrushmore Posts: 29 ✭✭ Sophomore

I'd prefer not putting all of our eggs in the Arch basket. If anything, Dawgs just proved that we don't need generational talent at QB to win the trophy.

• Options

All the eggs are not and never will be in one basket. See our QB room? LOADED. That is probably the biggest thing working against UGA. Eggs are far from being in one basket. But Arch is simply a game-changer on a higher level than other really good QB's. And elite talent will follow him. If you do not pursue him all out though, you are not doing your job to the best of your ability and that mentality is what hurts programs long-term. Being in the conversation for all of the best talent out there, is what you want and where you want to stay. Keeps your program in the minds of the best players. He may go to Texas or Bama. Might come to UGA. It is Arch's choice in the end where he wants to spend his college years. Bama makes sense. Texas is riskiest. Ole Miss might be the choice! UGA campus and town might be where he wants to spend his college years. UGA is as good as the rest other than the loaded QB room. Where he goes, who knows. You hope you get him. If not them it will be OK. But if you get him, sky is the limit.

• Options

His dad refuted the ONE report that Arch was down to 2 schools and matter of fact added 2 more, LSU and Florida. Could be smokescreen, but one guy having an unconfirmed report, with visits still to be made in the next couple of months, it seems 2 schools may be leading the others right now, but does not meant that the rest are out of consideration or contention. Just sayin'. It would be awesome to get him, but if not that is OK. Kirby's defense will be here every year and the QB room certainly is far from bare. Arch would just elevate the program even higher, particularly with future recruits. That being said. if he does not come to UGA, I really hope he goes to Ole Miss.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2022

Earl m MOST of what you said about AL is true. I said it last year, I said it this year and I will say it next year. As long as Saban is at AL recruiting #1 classes I will take AL vs the field every year. The Mannings don't strike me as people that are sellouts that will jump on the AL bandwagon. They may. We will see. I would say the jury is still out on Tua, Hurts and Mac. None have shown that they are even average NFL QB's after running up inflated numbers at AL surrounded by better players against over matched foes. BTW a UGA QB just won the SB. Football is a team game. As for the depth chart, I don't think a Manning will be deterred by a name in front of him. In fact, Peyton may advise Arch to go to a team where he doesn't have to start his 1st year. I am sure he remembers the beating he took as a rookie learning how to play on the next level. A year of apprenticeship seems to be way to go. Even Saban did it with Bryce Young with pretty good results. MS has 1 thing going for it. Archie, Cooper and Eli went there. I just don't see the Mannings entrusting their progeny to Lane Kiffin. The highlight of Lane's life as a man is that he is a football coach. The guy is a buffoon. He will do at least 3 things a season that are childish and embarrassing as the face of a program at a major university . The Mannings have too much class to associate with Lane Kiffin. It is highly probable that Arch would take a tremendous beating playing QB for MS. Why when you can pick a better team, any team? Again, maybe you will hear it this time, how CKS handled QB's as HC years 1-6 has no bearing on how he handles his QB situation going forward. I did not realize that CKS , at age 46, was incapable of any professional growth or personal change. Thank you for enlightening us all.