Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football losses second commitment this week, as 4-star wide receiver backs off pledge

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited February 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football losses second commitment this week, as 4-star wide receiver backs off pledge

Another 2023 prospect has backed off his commitment to Georgia, as 4-star wide receiver Daquayvious Sorey announced his de-commitment from the program on Friday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2022

I only want recruits who are 100% committed to UGA. It’s cool with me for him to enjoy the recruiting process and then decide where the best fit is for him. Go Dawgs!!!

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Perhaps this will give us the opportunity to recruit an even higher-ranked wide receiver. I'm sure Coach B-Mac has things under control. Go Dawgs!

• DoggoneDoggone Posts: 100 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 2022

The recruiting situation in CFB has undergone a radical change. Recruiting kids two years out, who knows what is going to be happening in two years? Crazy! Kids making commitments and then de-committing? Crazy! Transfer portal. Play a year and then go somewhere else? Crazy! CFB players now receiving endorsements? Crazy! It is more and more about money and less and less about for whom you play or even for some whether you actually get a degree of not. The NFL has got to love it. A free farm system, something they do not have to finance. Getting less and less interesting for the old traditional fandom.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That's why they're looking at straight up making these kids employees and partially responsible for their own education. No more per diem...college loans...etc..... CRAZIER....LOL

How the heck do you know what communications were made between Smart and Fields? Let me guess...you were in the room. LOL

• ChewDawgChewDawg Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby's the best coach that GA has ever had. Whatever he decides, I'm all for it. I'd rather keep Kirby than a million Justin Fields. Last I checked, Justin Fields didn't do better against the same Bama team than Stetson Bennett did....even though Fields had all those 5-star wide receivers at his disposal and Bennett didn't. Fields even had the same Jameson Williams that starred for Bama this year. Kirby: wins a National Championship with 2&3-star receivers and a walk-on QB. Other coaches: didn't even make the playoffs with a slew of 5-star receivers and QBs. Just ask Ohio State and Oklahoma fans if they'd rather have 5-star receivers and QBs or National Championship Titles.

• bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 275 ✭✭✭ Junior

@ earl_m

I read your article highlighted and found no mention of Jake Fromm not wanting to share time. Perhaps what I read was an abridged version?

• LakeSinclairLakeSinclair Posts: 22 ✭✭ Sophomore

Earl, how many national championships did Matthew Stafford, Aaron Murray, Eric Zeier, and Fran Tarkenton win combined? I'll take the guys who get it done - thank you, Buck; thank you, Stetson.

• zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 410 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Conner, you sensationalize the de-commitment of a high school kid like the sky is falling. UGA just won the national championship. Yup, Burton left. So what? My prediction is he'll wish he'd stayed. You play into the narrative that UGA is a run heavy offense. Monken used the personnel he had based on injuries, schedule, etc. I'd say his instincts worked pretty well. Burton wants his stats, but he can't stay healthy. Bama isn't changing that anymore than Auburn raised the draft stock of D-Rob. Burton sure loved those long bombs from Stetson when he was in a position to catch them though right? (See showboat headshake everytime he caught a ball.) Nobody talks about that. Kirby will get guys who want to be at UGA vs. the whole me thing. That's what wins championships. Not stats or instant gratification.

• HankyHanky Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

Earl,

Delta’s ready when you are.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Earl,

How many National Championships did your hero Fields win? Do you realize he lost by 11 more points than Bennett did last year vs the exact same Bama team. Only difference that season was Bennett played the Tide in Tuscaloosa while The Ohio State QB played on a neutral field. Hmmm 🤔

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2022

If, if, if.. Hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20. So tired of hearing what Fields would've done as the UGA QB.Fields couldn't beat Bama if he played for UGA,LSU, Michigan.. and definitely couldn't beat the Tide as the QB at Ohio State, that was proven.

• ItchyZItchyZ Posts: 178 ✭✭✭ Junior

Nothing in the transfer portal?

• Falcon1103Falcon1103 Posts: 9 ✭ Freshman

I'm so tired of people comparing quarterbacks. Georgia wouldn't have won the championship this year without this juggernaut defense. SBIV was just a small piece of the puzzle so stop acting like he was a Good. Fields, Stafford and any descent quarterback would have won the championship game with how our defense was playing. I have been an advid fan for 49 years and I call it like I seen it. When it comes to receivers, 5 stars just don't want to be on a team with Bennett and that's ok. Hey was on a team and won a championship. But receivers want to play with quarterbacks that are going to the NFL and let's be honest, Bennett will never suit up. So just got the best receivers you can and coach them up because Georgia will never see another Pickens until a few years when an NFL caliber quarterback suits up for the bulldogs. This is not written to criticize Bennett, this is just facts. If Georgia run the same scheme as last year then we should be ok. But be wary that the juggernaut defense is gone until the younger guys step up.

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Exactly! It's called a TEAM sport for a reason. 1 player has never singlehandedly won or lost a game. It takes a team to win as well as lose.

Bottom line is that Fields didn't put in the work to learn the offense or become the quarterback UGA needed. He was a showboat and didn't have the respect of the rest of the team. That may have changed if he had stayed.

Smart put the kid in several times in 2019, but, he wasn't ready and couldn't take advantage of the opportunity. On a fake punt, late in the season, he looked like a deer in the head lights and fumbled the ball.

What was it, Nick Saban said, about 3 BAMA players not putting in the work to get themselves ready for the opportunity they eventually blew in the CFP? That applied to Fields in 2019.

While Fields was at OSU, he was a product of the talent surrounding him.

He's a bust in the NFL. Probably for the same reasons he didn't cut the mustard at UGA.

It gives me no personal pleasure to point all this out, but, I'm getting sick of revisionist historians trying to make more out of Fields short stay in Athens than reality dictates.

He was a good quarterback, that could have been great, if he was coachable. Smart probably should have never recruited him. He was not a UGA type player.