Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Why has Georgia basketball been so bad?

JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Frankly I don't care about basketball at all. If I actually go to a game I enjoy it, but on tv not so much. I don't watch basketball. I don't keep up with it. Not pro. Not college.

That said, I want the University of Georgia to have at least decently competitive programs across the board in the various sports.

Why has our basketball program been so bad?

When the most recently fired head coach was hired he was said to be a decent enough coach. I've never played basketball other than schoolyard and sandlot, and was never half good at any aspect of it other than free-throws, but I could almost argue than I couldn't be much worse than what's his name's been.

Why has our basketball program been so bad, and what has to happen to make it at least half decent?

Go, Dawgs!

Comments

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod
  • TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting. We’ve had some players come through, but never any depth. So they it’s constantly hoping a player stays long enough to be matched up with the next good player. Had Claxton stayed a year with Edwards it would’ve made that team formidable. But there’s never a plan B. Tubby and Harrick had that level of depth and found success.

I think there’s been bad blood with the staff and the AAU around Atlanta. I know AAU can be ****, but I have to feel we need someone that can at least work in that system.

• SWDawg68SWDawg68 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Creen is not, was not the answer!

But look no further than @TNDawg71 comments! It is what I said out loud when I read Jim's question!

It is a very stark difference between what UTjr and Auburn has been able to accomplish with their recruiting, to what the Dawgs have done for the past 6 years! I am sure the amount of support AAU and the "Camps" receive from UGA is pitiful to what other schools provide to "All of the recruits"!

I have seen the lack of visibility and support first hand and it will take a very long time to recover from years of doing it the wrong way!

Focus and proper representation will make a huge difference, but in no way is this a quick or easy fix!

• emanresuemanresu Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mr Wallace, I think its simply a matter of Basketball not being very high on the UGA administrations priority list perhaps because Georgias boosters and alumni are simply not very big on the sport of Basketball on any level. Thats the only thing that makes sense as Georgia definitely has the natural resources (Elite in state talent) and deep, deep pockets so.......................................................................

• WtkWtk Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It does not matter if there are deep pockets if the money stays in the pockets.

• WtkWtk Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Having the worst basketball facility in the SEC does not help. Prospects are not impressed.

• markrichtermarkrichter Posts: 341 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Two things UGA has not really done in the past. One is give full support money wise. Two we have been extremely reliuctant to get involved in the dirty world that is AAU basketball. If we stick to that it will be very difficult to build the program at any susstainable level. From the sounds of it Josh seems inclined to put a lot more into it so we shall see.

• emanresuemanresu Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2022

To my point, the reason why Georgia reportedly has the worst facilities in the SEC is because Basketball is simply not a big deal at UGA and that's OK I GUESS but I sure wish it was because Basketball is an international sport now thanks in large part to the brilliance of Larry Joe Bird and Ervin "Magic" Johnson and what they Kickstarted in the 1979 National Championship game that carried over to the NBA where Jaques Dominique Wilkins, Isaiah Thomas, Michael Jordan and others helped to exponentially grow the popularity of the Sport. Georgia is just not that into it UNFORTUNATELY. 🙁🙁🙁

• DawgwiredDawgwired Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We should be able to pull 2-3 studs a year from this state. We must find that guy that can do that and then the money will come. No doubt our program and facilities are sub par. And building it up will be a tough task. However, we need the guy that can look past that for now. A person with tremendous energy and the ability to connEct with recruits. The ability to Sell his vision to players and then show boosters and admin that this program can be something other than a door mat.

• oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

First let me be clear I no nothing about Georgia basketball. Other than from reading about it on dawgnation. There are several things stand out to me. If Georgia wants to upgrade it basketball program? This is something, that is not clear to me.

First it needs to upgrade its facilities. Stegeman Coliseum was built in 1966. Alabama just approved a $186,000,000 new basketball complex. So we have a ball park figure of what this is going to cost. I by the way think Georgia also needs to do at least start planing to do this for football and baseball.

It is far less about recruiting than retention. One Georgia recruit started for Kentucky this year, another started for Auburn. No program at any college is going to be successful if all its best players leave to other schools year after year.

Apparently to be a success in college basketball you need to get involved with AAU basketball. Far more than Georgia has been willing to do in the past.

There is a feeling that you need to do shady stuff to be successful. Does Georgia want to go down this path?

• HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Football spring practice approaches… thank gawd. 🤣

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • volatilisvolatilis Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If he gets 2 or 3 young men a year to stay home in Georgia that would have gone to Auburn or Ky, they will be a lot better than mediocre.

• Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2022

Truly and I really think he is the young, energetic coach that we needed to get this done! Recruit away, my friend!

Oh, and get J. Hayes to assist!

Go Dawgs!