Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football G-Day Stock Report: Several Bulldogs’ stock soaring

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited April 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football G-Day Stock Report: Several Bulldogs’ stock soaring

ATHENS — Everyone loves a winner, and the Georgia football 2021 season was the equivalent of a bull market.

Read the full story here

Comments

• KudzuKudzu Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited April 2022
  • BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m really looking forward to big things from Kearis Jackson. A fifth year senior with the ability to lead this talented wide receiver group. Hoping you stay healthy and have a great season Kearis! Go Dawgs!

• TrippTripp Posts: 512 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Daijun Edwards is special. He is a nightmare to tackle in open field and he has explosive pop at the point of contact and the ability to truck you. But maybe his best attribute is how shifty he is even at full speed. The young man has balance and is explosive out of cuts. Hope we find ways to get him touches.

• BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agreed Tripp. Without a doubt Edwards is special. Even though he has mostly been used in mop up duty, the guy hits the line like a bull on the loose. He is going to be a a very reliable backup because sooner or later, he is going to be pressed into a larger role. Should be fun to watch these running backs wear down teams this year. Go Dawgs!

• Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agreed! I think the trio of McIntosh, Milton and Edwards will be special this year and, with Robinson and Paul coming in, the sky’s the limit with the Dawgs’ running attack! Can you imagine trying to game plan against this RBS room if you are an opposing DC!?

Coach Kirby and Monken must be salivating!

Go Dawgs!

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not sure where that narrative is about Georgia not having good receivers. I certainly haven't heard that. Georgia has good receivers, perhaps a couple of very good receivers. Jermaine Burton didn't transfer because the receiving corps is bad. Just sayin. Go Dawgs!

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2022

I would like to see ZWhite running behind this improved OL. McIntosh avg'd 4.2 "yards per carry" in the G Day game. Last year ZWhite avg'd 4,2 lads per carry. By the time he hit the line between the tackles he usually had 4 "lads" on his back that he carried for 5.4 yards per carry. And did it after 2 knee rebuilds. A reconstructive ACL surgery is probably a 2 yr full recovery process for a RB.

• sfalexansfalexan Posts: 22 ✭✭ Sophomore

What do we do with all this TE talent?!? Bowers, Washington, Gilbert, Delp. Any one of these guys would be the starter at any program in the country. Do we move someone out to receiver or run 3 TE sets? I’m hoping Monken is drawing up some crazy plays for these guys. It’s exciting to think about.

• ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 519 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

We might need the offense to carry this team in the tough games and hopefully the defense will gel some or a lot come the second half of the season. Maybe it will, maybe it won't, not at least to a championship level.

Question is, will Kirby want the more conservative passing game or the wide open passing game this season? Of it is the latter, we will have a new starting QB, at some point, take over. It is a tough call, man. Stetson has so much more experience and can make some plays. But the other 2, well, they are more like JT. Just inexperienced.

I have to go with Bennett and work one of the 2 others into games and see if he can handle leading the team to victories in the biggest games. Jury is still out if Bennett can engineer a 2nd half comeback being down by double digits. Do we give him the chance to come back? Or have another QB ready to start come the 2nd half of the season?

It would be so hard to not start Bennett. But I wouldn't play him much or any in the cake walk games. That would be Beck's and Brock's time to get ready in case they are needed any minute, to show if they are ready or could be ready down the road this year, to be the man, in the big games. Just simply going to need a better passing game this season.

Maybe Stetson will take that step this year. I hope so. But I have my doubts and will until I see how he throws over the middle when the defense knows he is going to pass and/or when he leads a game winning come from behind drive when the defense knows he is passing every play.

• ProKnoProKno Posts: 29 ✭✭ Sophomore

Trying to feed the narrative that Carson Beck is a better option right now is crazy. Stetson was in complete command on the opening drive and final drive and like Kirby says, everyone on the team knows he is the man. A lot of batted balls lowering his completion percentage really can't be some kind of negative to dwell upon. Stetson looked like a National Championship quarterback and own's this team.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MikeGriffith

I cycled through the game again with slow-mo, pause and zoom to assist. A feature I imagine you didn't have Saturday. LOL. I wanted to wait until I had time to digest my 1st impression.

For the most part I agreed with your player assessment. Although, I thought it was kinda conspicuous that you left Kendall Milton out, even though he broke numerous tackles including a 32 yd catch and run TD, in which he broke 2 tackles. Actually, all 3 of those running backs looked really good. I would at least say Milton's stock was up

The QB assessment had me shaking my head and laughing, as usual. It was a little more subdued than normal, but, you probably ought to watch the game again and do it with blinders on when it comes to who is playing QB. And, only evaluate Black Team play, as that's the only team all 3 QB's played on.

You were right about Bennett having a couple of errant throws over the middle...actually 2 were errant and 1 shouldn't have been thrown...but, that kind of thing happens with all QB's. It's nit-picky. He had one of the best passes I saw in the whole game...a 25 yarder to K. Jackson with 52 sec remaining in the half. Over the middle, right between 3 defenders, in tight coverage. The next play, Rosemy Jack-Saint dropped a perfectly throw back-shoulder throw at the goal line, but, made up for it with a catch...over the middle, for a first down.

Receivers can make a QB look good...or they can make him look bad. You could tell that, understandably, the receivers and QB's weren't always on the same page. There was some rust.. It is what it is, as you like to say. LOL

Beck was composed when he was on the Red Team, because he had all day to set and throw. And, he was throwing to wide open receivers, until he got in the Red Zone. He made some poor decisions over the middle as well, one should have been intercepted in the end zone in the 2nd qtr. By Black #26, with #8 open on an outroute. He was locking in on his primary receiver and staring him down. That won't fly in a real game. I don't know if the Red Team receivers were that good...or the Black Team DB's were that bad. I do know one thing, the 2nd team O-line looked GOOD, even though they gave up a couple of sacks on Beck that weren't called. I could've played QB on the red team...when I was a kid. LOL

FYI, Beck's 1st pass in the 2nd half, should have been called a sack by #15 T. Marshall, who ran past Beck before he was able to unload the ball. That same exact play was called a sack on Bennett earlier. Neither, Beck nor Vandergriff, did much with the Black Team and that should be of concern. On the Black Team, Beck appeared composed...at first. But, he was throwing the ball erratically, which tells me he was a little rattled.

I would also note...Greg McElroy said, "for those jumping to conclusions already...Vandergriff going against the #1 defense, so keep that in mind. So far Carson Beck has gotten off to a really nice start. He's been accurate. Threw a beautiful pass on the first offensive play of the game for the Red Team, BUT, Vandergriff (and Bennett) going against a more experienced group with the full arsenal of their weapons at their disposal. So, tough sledding against this group (1's). So, if Vandergriff gets off to a slow start, he'll have a chance in the 2nd half to work against the 2's where the Stats might be a little more easy to come by."----Greg knows. He's played in these Spring before, too.

For the statisticians out there...Bennett never got a shot at padding his STATS against the 2's and was the only QB of the 3 to score points against the 1's. 26 of em to be exact on basically one half of play. Not bad, all things being considered. What did Beck and Vandergriff do with the Black team...then tell me who "the MVP" is. Case closed. LOL

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe in McIntosh, said so since his signing with UGA. I agree with Mike that he does have better vision than White and defintely more juke in him and speed and catches the ball great out of the backfield. Is he as tough to bring down as Zeus with a full head of steam, or on the goal line, probably not.

I would say(and I watch every game) that for whatever reason, when Kenny was handed off to last year, it seemed like there was always a 1st defender he had to elude in the backfield before he could get to the lne of scrimmage. Usually he did so, and he has always been up there in regards to yards after contact.

The back I was most impressed with Saturday was Edwards and his TD runs at the goal line where he just bounced it outside when there was nothing in the middle. Made it look easy.

The easy answer is that guys get banged up and need time off to heal. 2 guys are hurt now. With this depth no need to rush anyone back. The next answer is that Delp takes a back seat and waits his turn. Bowers, Delp and Gilbert are all versatile enough to move them around for occasional snaps as necessary. Washington and Gilbert are both draft eligible after this season. Washington has a wife and a kid and will be looking to cash in after this season. College has always been just a mandatory stopover for Gilbert. Gilbert has always had his eye on the League and will make the move after the season. UGA already has 2 TE commitments for '23 to backfill their spots.

edited April 2022

Batted balls are about the most negative thing a QB can do. They are incompletions and drive killers. Batted balls, more often than not, turn into INTs. SBIV mitigates this problem by throwing wide or over the top. The middle third of the field has been underutilized. Being unable to use part of the field and certain routes is a big advantage to the defense.

Ball batted a the lone of scrimmage are rarely intercepted. Case in point, of all the balls batted down or deflected at the line of scrimmage, Saturday, zero were intercepted.

Watch the game again. A big part of Bennett's passing game was in the middle 3rd of the field. One of the best passes of the game was to Jackson over the middle.

He had several drops there and on the sideline. Milton accounted for 1 drop over the middle and McIntosh dropped a walk-in TD over the middle, with 3 seconds left in the half. I'm not gonna list em all, but, there were enough to make note of it.

• MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BigDawg61 Didn't get a big enough sample size of Kendall running the ball -- he looked great on his catch and run -- but he's going to be the bread-and-butter between the tackles guy and I want to see how this leaner version of him looks grinding the tough yards. He has looked poised for a break out last two seasons.

I agree. Small sample size and Smart said they weren't planning to crank up the running game Saturday.

Milton had several grinder runs and actually looked very strong on one that went for 8 or 9 yards. That was a Zeus type run...but, for the most part, he didn't have much room to run between the tackles.

I was basing my thoughts on that 1 TD and the run up the middle where he carried 3 or 4 players for an 8-9 yd run. I guess we've seen that flash from him before, so it was a "Stock Even". IMO...He will have a breakout year in 2022. We already know what McInosh is going to be...Cook Plus.

I would say, those 2 guys are going to be the backfield next year, but, how can you leave Edwards out. UGA is going to be sick with great skill players next year, from sideline to sideline and goalpost to goalpost.