Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Proposed new rules

Comments

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SWARLES_BARKLEY said:
    I get the issues #2 causes, but if coaches can leave in the night (or worse, the day after the kid signs his LOI) for another school, then we have to let players do the same.

The drawbacks are inconveniences. Byproducts we have to get over that result from doing the right thing. Ethics are square one, and from there we can finagle with smaller steps to ensure recruiting between programs doesn’t become a thing.

1 time transfer before they play maybe but would you want to be re-recruiting Fromm or Fields, Ledbetter or someone else that we had invested a lot of time or Chubb after he came back from injury that UGA "paid" for. Bama would be cherry picking the stars based on NC record EVERY year.

• dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like rule number 1 since kids think it’s okay to sit out Bowl games then why not allow a kid who worked hard all year to play in the bowl game and replace the guys who want to sit out and abandon his teammates. This also helps with injury bug that effects teams. Almost like how the pros bring a practice squad kid up for a week or two while someone is out. That redshirt year could be long for a kid who is just sitting. It would be a nice reward to maybe get to see the field for a couple games but I think 2 games instead of 4 would be perfect.

• oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DamnYankeeDawg said:
    NCAA is trying to do their best with some competing interests. Fans love seeing more games. The season gets longer and longer. But the college football season wasn’t designed to go that long. Just like basketball and baseball when compared to the pro game.
    Something needs to be done with the schedule. Dawgs played 15 games this year. Almost an NFL schedule. More than a handful of teams played 14 games. And we have many people advocating for a longer season by going to an 8 or 16 team playoff. So add 2 more games for a handful of teams.

If the NCAA doesn’t do anything about the schedule, the redshirt rule could help out with all the additional games many schools seem to be playing.
    I would prefer the number of games to be 3 for a RS to keep status. 2 games during the regular season at the team’s discretion and the other game being the bowl game.
    I believe most Power 5 teams would play these guys against the cupcakes during the season to get the RS players some game experience and give the regulars a chance to rest during the season.

I agree with your position. another way would be to allow 95 on scholarship as and idea. This would give thousands more kids a chance to play college ball and get a education.

• BoroDawgBoroDawg Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

2 would be the end of college football as we know it. Every freshman who doesn’t start immediately will leave the following year. There will be no more depth and players will essentially become guns for hire.

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PlayHurt said:

@DawgsofWar said:
    I would like for all penalties, including missed ones to be reviewed.

This and for the officials to be PUBLICLY reprimanded just like players are when they make a penalty. There needs to be a new game-stat of missed/wrong/overturned calls by the officials. Then, the truly good officials can be rewarded with the bowl/playoff games.

1. To review every play for penalties missed would make a 3 hour game last about as long as a 3 hour tour on the USS Minnow (Gilligan reference).

2. As for publicly reprimanding officials, I'm just going to assume that you have never called a football game in your life. As an official who has call High School football for over 10 years, I have no doubt that I have missed calls. If anyone out there thinks that they wouldn't either, you're a fool. Even with the experience I have (which includes Super 6 finals), I couldn't begin to imagine the speed at the college level.

3. Lastly, at for the transfer rule, as long as the losing school still had the opportunity to limit the locations that the player could go to, I see no problem with it. Coaches leave all the time.

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dradcliff said:
    If a kid can transfer anytime, when does the recruiting end. Schools would be going after other schools players all the time.
    Not to mention if a kid gets mad he may decide to transfer instead of working through the situation.

Not a good idea.

Once a recruit signs a LOI. Coaches at opposong schools can only congratulate. Any thing else would be a recruiting sanction. It also allows talented players the right to play immediately. Like Eason or Manac.

I like the RS idea. Its basically turning normal RS to medical redshirts. Also lets you use players in our FCS games to see how they are evolving. Lets tape develop on guys to nuture them better.

The two go hand in hand. I could see Kirby playing a kid vs GT and then the kid transferring out after showing impressive skills.

• dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m okay with rule number one as long as a kid is either limited by the school of where he can go. Or the kid is not allowed to compete against the school they left no matter if the game is regular season, playoff or championship game. I believe that actually makes it fair for the team who would lose a kid. This would allow a kid to leave freely and go where but not spurn the school he was originally at.

• cliffhangercliffhanger Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

1) 4 games is too much, 2 would be perfect

2) This rule would be the worse thing to happen to college football. It pretty much makes you a free agent if you're not happy with not getting playing time or other factors with your team. Recruiting would never end for a kid.

• mleemlee Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The first rule is fine and will only help everyone..
    The second rule should not be allowed unless something drastic happens at your school. Example Ole Miss. The school puts in a lot of time and money to have you on their team and when you sign a contract you should have to stand by that deal or pay a penalty to get out of it.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@cliffhanger said:
    1) 4 games is too much, 2 would be perfect

2) This rule would be the worse thing to happen to college football. It pretty much makes you a free agent if you're not happy with not getting playing time or other factors with your team. Recruiting would never end for a kid.

Exactly. The free agent description comes close to nailing it. Since scholarships are given out on an annual basis (have to be renewed each year) why not let the student-athlete have the right to "change jobs" on an annual basis. Only seems fair to me. If a school wants a kid for 4 or 5 years, let them sign a contract for that amount of time. Seems to me that student-athletes might have fewer "rights" than a "regular" person in this area. I'm all for fairness. Really, would you want to give up your right to change jobs if you found something better for you and your family? There may be something wrong in my analysis, I know. But the university/student relationship seems one-sided in this case. With good grades, any student can transfer if he/she wishes, right? Seems like student-athletes don't have the same rights. Any thoughts?

Again, I don't think the term "free agent" applies if the losing school can put restrictions on where you can go.

agree. That's what I was alluding to. Why should college kids be restricted from being free agents? If they think the grass is greener, let them go check it out. Might make Universities and coaches operate a bit differently. Why should college sports be any different than the "real" world?

@donm said:
    agree. That's what I was alluding to. Why should college kids be restricted from being free agents? If they think the grass is greener, let them go check it out. Might make Universities and coaches operate a bit differently. Why should college sports be any different than the "real" world?

A counter proposal Make the scholarship good until the student gets a degree. I a student is restricted from transferring, then the university must continue to provide benefits until graduation. After all that is what the scholarship is for is't it. To give students a chance for a good education.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

My only concern would be the power schools with huge budgets constantly targeting players on lesser teams. Some 3-star RB picks E. Michigan...has an amazing freshman season, now suddenly OSU and Michigan are recruiting this kid hard to transfer. Smaller schools would constantly be getting raided for their best players. Would create "Super Teams". Non-P5 teams would become feeder schools for P5 conferences. Kind of the whole reason the NFL has salary caps. Keeps the top teams with the most money from hoarding all the best players.

edited January 2018

@dbrown7494 said:
    I like rule number 1 since kids think it’s okay to sit out Bowl games then why not allow a kid who worked hard all year to play in the bowl game and replace the guys who want to sit out and abandon his teammates. This also helps with injury bug that effects teams. Almost like how the pros bring a practice squad kid up for a week or two while someone is out. That redshirt year could be long for a kid who is just sitting. It would be a nice reward to maybe get to see the field for a couple games but I think 2 games instead of 4 would be perfect.

Great point. What happens if you have a guy sitting out a bowl and you dont' have a backup? I thought there was a clause for bowl games that they don't count as the regular season (except playoffs). I thought I read that RSs were allowed to play bowl games since they are really exhibition games.

• BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2018

I'm against both rule changes......Especially the one about not sitting out a year....how many recruits will tell you "That first year was rough but I'm glad I stuck it out".....now they would have a way out....they would also be distracted by recruiters during the season......leave the rule as is......

If RSs are allowed to play any amount of full games, that makes it a strategic decision. Save up your guys for that one rivalry game or the championship game. Completely negates the purpose of RS to start with. If they want to change the rule, it should be for emergency purposes only..and only for one game. Say you have 2 OL get injured in a game and you are down to only 1 active players at that position. In that situation you can let the RS play just in that game. You can't just plug in a DL to fill the hole. The next game the coach is going to have to figure something else out. Football has become such big money, and players are so specialized...a couple of injuries can be extremely costly (hello, FSU). So, I'm OK with letting a RS play in one game in an emergency situation.

@pgjackson said:

@donm said:

My only concern would be the power schools with huge budgets constantly targeting players on lesser teams. Some 3-star RB picks E. Michigan...has an amazing freshman season, now suddenly OSU and Michigan are recruiting this kid hard to transfer. Smaller schools would constantly be getting raided for their best players. Would create "Super Teams". Non-P5 teams would become feeder schools for P5 conferences. Kind of the whole reason the NFL has salary caps. Keeps the top teams with the most money from hoarding all the best players.

People move from "lesser" jobs/companies to "better" jobs/companies all the time. Bigger fish eat littler fish. You are likely right about some teams becoming super teams. Look at the warriors and the teams LeBron moves to. Happens a lot I guess. The Yankees and Dodger have unlimited $ and buy great teams, albeit not always successfully. But is seems like we already are heading that way....the top 10 each year has some of the same suspects every year. Maybe it would get even worse.

It is already true here is a list of the top 25 schools in recruiting :
    Georgia
    Ohio State
    Texas
    Penn State
    Alabama
    Miami
    Oklahoma
    Notre Dame
    Clemson
    USC
    Auburn
    LSU
    Washington
    Michigan
    Oregon
    Tennessee
    Florida
    South Carolina
    Virginia Tech
    Maryland
    TCU
    N.C. State
    Baylor
    Michigan State
    Louisville

After I retired from the military I went into government contracting, a very competitive environment. The contract I signed had a "No Compete" clause in it that prohibited me from going to certain other companies if I left before my contract was up. The real world can have restrictions also.