Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia should pay Kirby Smart at least $10 million a year -- and feel good about it

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited May 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia should pay Kirby Smart at least $10 million a year -- and feel good about it

Now would be a good time for Georgia to announce the terms of Kirby Smart’s pending contract extension, which is believed to be in the 10-year, $100 million range.

Read the full story here

Comments

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2022

“Coach Smart came in with a vision and helped us develop that vision and cast his vision into facilities and what we needed to do to get caught up,” Brooks said at the $80 million football building dedication ceremony on Tuesday, per AJC.com.

“It was his vision and his leadership that got us to this point.”

I know we're kinda past it at this point, but after all the times I've heard about Smart benefitting from enhanced resources - usually from people who wanted to downplay his effect on the program - this quote jumped off the screen at me.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2022

"It’s just a tad more incentive for the 70-year-old Saban to keep on, keeping on."

This too. Every year people say Saban is going to retire any day now. I doubt it'll happen in less than 5 years. Paterno and Bowden both stayed on board long after they'd become glorified figureheads at programs that were no longer doing much of anything with them around. Saban just won the SEC and a playoff game, and his team is poised to enter next season #1 again. He still talks and acts like a guy in his 50s. The only way I see him retiring any time soon is if things go downhill quickly at Bama. ... Let's see if we can make that happen...

• cbp1947cbp1947 Posts: 51 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wow that was a long article (that I didn't read most of). Three times as long as the usual articles Griffith usually writes about, you know, actual football team information. Maybe Mike missed his true calling writing for the NY Times Financial?

It is well known that CFB revenue not only floats CFB but also many other college sports. So it would be logical for all the costs associated with CFB at UGA would be paid 1st from the revenue that the UGA football team generates. No matter what those costs are. Covering all those costs including the coach's salary and recruiting costs. It is safe to say that revenue generated by football at UGA has increased significantly during the CKS era.

Do we really need (or want) to known how much money a desperate USC program threw at (overpaid) Lincoln Riley? Considering where USC is in CFB they had to make a huge splash and take a huge gamble. But comparing the the cost of living in LA to that of Athens would justify (partially) Riley's inflated contract to match his accomplishments and ego.

Maybe since the COL index in LA is more than twice that of Athens we should pay CKS 1/2 of what Riley gets? Just kidding. CKS is an excellent coach, program builder and recruiter. He learned from the best. He is where he needs and wants to be to take a shot at becoming the GOAT. UGA poised to take over the, unanimously recognized, top program mantle in CFB from AL in Saban's twilight seasons.

• DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby shocked the football world in January. Now UGA can do it again. Pay him $12M a year. (And give Monken a raise)

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with you @Dawggy. Pay him MORE than what people expect, and let's get this thing signed and announced quickly. Let's not screw around and somehow let this turn into a Freddie Freeman situation. Quite frankly, I thought there would have been a new contract for Kirby either right before or right after Spring practice. Brooks knows he has to step up, so let's do it and keep it moving. Go Dawgs!

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with paying him more than expected. Set the bar for the next 5 or 6 yrs, so, this pay issue doesn't come up again for a while. Whatever we pay him, it's a bargain...he's a Ga Boy, born and breed. He doesn't WANT to go anywhere and he's at the top of his game at the ripe old age of 46. 24yrs younger than Saban. It's like signing Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan or Mickey Mantle in their prime. A coach like Smart only comes around once in a lifetime. If you wait till he wins another Championship in 2022, it'll cost a whole lot more.

As for Freddie Freeman, he didn't really want to come back to ATL. He is where he wanted to be, and that's okay. The Braves actually got an upgrade by signing Olsen. He'll be around a lot longer than Freeman would have been, he's a Gold Glover and HR leader.

• BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

Paying Coach Smart & his staff what they deserve should not even be a topic of discussion. Just do it!! Additionally, he should have the final say on everything that concerns the football program. Scheduling, recruiting, etc... You're going to pay the man CEO, Chairman of the board money so let him have the responsibilities. Additionally, UGA should not be a one trick pony. With the money being brought in from the SEC, boosters, donations, etc... Georgia should have the best facilities & be in the hunt for titles in every sport we participate. We should not lose a single coach, athlete, or recruit due to facilities, coaching or any other obstacle. Get it done!!

• HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great article MG. Really captures just how far behind UGA has been and really remains in comparison to other schools. Great points in here with details around the scope of that challenge and just how successful Kirby has been in building a very stout program. Now the challenge is to keep the program at that level with a very different environment and MG really had some good facts around other coaches that have changed their trajectory and then faltered. Great read

• GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Absolutely agree MG, Georgia's University leaders have been moving in the right direction since Kirby came on the scene, but this is not the time to take the foot off the gas. At a time where every top school is trying just about anything to get that competitive edge, we have the right coach at just the right time. Pay the man and fund any resources that will help the program build upon last season's success! Bama, Ohio State, Texas A&M are not going to slow down, neither should we - ONward and UPward!! GO DAWGS!

• DawgMonsterDawgMonster Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

I think he should get more like 12.5 million annually plus bonuses.