Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

NIL frenzy: Georgia president sorts out Lane Kiffin assertions leading up to SEC spring meetings

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited May 2022 in Article commenting
imageNIL frenzy: Georgia president sorts out Lane Kiffin assertions leading up to SEC spring meetings

GREENSBORO — The SEC spring meetings taking place this week are behind closed doors, but it’s clear where Georgia stands on the hot-button issue that won’t go away, the NIL.

Read the full story here

Comments

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So, Kiffin says college football is now a professional sport? Ostensibly an extension of the NFL? NIL merely enhances this status? NIL needs closer definition and scrutiny. I am with Kirby on limiting NIL as a control trigger. College players will become paid "employees" of sorts. Colleges will also become blue chip prep schools for the League. Money gets the best players. What happens to scholastics? Why fund scholarships? UGA's President Gere Moorehead and fellow NCAA officials better put their noggins together on this one as it is out of control already.

• KudzuKudzu Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

While I've always liked Kiffin in terms of his humorous demeanor, I've always thought his attitude a bit "off" for the sport of college football (where scholarships and all the preferential treatment are without question "compensation"... and an important kind). This article and his direct quotes have made me rethink that... I now think he's outright bad for college sports in general, football in particular.

• Alexander_the_LateAlexander_the_Late Posts: 42 ✭✭✭ Junior

Why did you cut off that final quote from Kiffin. How is it not being seen that... what? What isn't being seen?

Also, 'balance' does not mean paying every player the same amount, as that does not balance the relationship between value and cost. It would be a severe imbalance to have your backup long snapper earning the same as your starting QB, for example.

• ATDATD Posts: 258 ✭✭✭ Junior

To borrow a line from Lt. Governor candidate, Butch Miller, if Lane Kiffin has become the moral voice for NCAA Football, we're all f.#d.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2022

This mess needs to be sorted out sooner rather than later or "teams" like the '21 UGA Bulldogs will become extinct. It will be every man for himself. I find it very interesting what Jimbo said and didn't say. He said "only 1 of 11 early enrollee's had an NIL deal". THAT doesn't mean that the other 10 did not receive money from somewhere. Fisher has been choosing his words very carefully. He says something but not everything and lacks complete transparency. Why, when Congress wants to stick their noses in everything else, is no one asking any questions about NIL recruiting?

How long before the networks that broadcast conferences (or ND) start funneling money to recruits to attend teams in the conferences that they broadcast? Huge mess. Should've known when the government got involved with their half baked plan.

CFB should sue the NFL. Sue to have the age discrimination removed from the NFL "hiring" (drafting) restrictions. Every player coming out of HS is eligible to go to work at McDonald's or in the NFL. IF you want to be a professional get drafted by the NFL. IF you are not drafted by the NFL you may go to school and play football under the rules of amateurism. The NFL has their rules . The NCAA should have their rules for operating. IF you want to play NCAA football these are the rules. If you can go play professional football , go. If you can't you may play at the amateur level under the amateur rules. You get tuition, room, board, a stipend and any money you can make signing pictures or jerseys. You can work any job that you want in the off season but your wages will be reviewed to determine if they are in line with the standard for the position. No $100K pizza delivery men.

I believe that the NCAA is letting all this play out and watching with glee. The NCAA was forced to open pandora's box. NOW they are saying "YOU (Congress) forced this. Now YOU clean up the mess". People are already squawking about this mess. The rumblings are going to grow with each bought recruiting class. CFB cannot function with these (no?) rules.

BTW CKS needs to retire the word "control" when taking about NIL and the TP. Control is what created this mess in the 1st place. The words used should be "managing the process fairly and equitably. Level the playing field for all schools."

• WildmanSlayerWildmanSlayer Posts: 88 ✭✭✭ Junior

While Kiffin's talking about paying players with NIL deals, I'm curious to know, did Ole Miss give Jaxson Dart - USC, or Zach Evans - TCU a NIL deal to come play for him? Seems like every one of these coaches, that has talked about the NIL deals, have used it to get players to come to their programs, can the same be said about Kiffin?

• brvhrtbrvhrt Posts: 320 ✭✭✭ Junior

"Rules state that NIL is not supposed to be used as a recruiting inducement..." lol.

Watching all this play out is like watching Jurassic Park. The NCAA started with mostly good intentions--taking a few shortcuts here and there, I'm sure--and now it's on the verge of eating everything in sight...including itself. The NCAA brass is Hammond, sitting there in disbelief and denial that their creation could turn into this unmanageable monster. NIL + The Portal have morphed into that ravenous T-Rex and, well, we all know how that ends up.

• jackbmattjackbmatt Posts: 120 ✭✭✭ Junior

Why is that? Kiffin is definitely very critical of the way NIL is going. He may be a bit of a bozo sometimes but he's spot on here.

• Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

"This business will get out of control..."

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The NCAA (university presidents) was scared shirtless, that Congress was going to start investigating their labor practices. The universities had absolute control of their employees (student athletes) and their employees risked suspension if they made even a nominal amount of money selling their own belongings if they had anything to do with their sport or their employer (the university). See Todd Gurley.

Rather than have Congress get involved, they opted to open Pandora’s Box in the form of NIL and the portal. Now, they want Congress to clean up their mess? Laughable! Who in their right mind would say, “We have sure made a mess of the portal and NIL, now we need Nancy Pelosi and her gang of misfits to fix it.” If that’s the college football hierarchy’s only solution then we can all bend over because we the fans are scr_wed!

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lane Kiffin is not wrong. And all this talk about what Congress did (or didn't do). No, the NCAA had years -- YEARS -- to fix this issue before it became an issue, going back to the Ed O'Bannon lawsuit, but they did nothing. NOTHING. Since then, the U.S. Supreme Court -- not Congress -- has weighed in to basically open the floodgates of what is basically free agency for college athletes. And now that the Court has given its position, there's really not much the NCAA can do because if an athlete sues them, the outcome is already known. Hopefully, this will lead to a splintering of the 65 or so teams that are truly the major colleges breaking away from the NCAA and doing their own thing, with their own czar. Once that happens, some common sense might return to college sports. I'm not holding my breath. Go Dawgs!

• BigFanBigFan Posts: 144 ✭✭✭ Junior

Agree with much of what's been said, but ... Congress didn't do this.

The US Supreme Court ruled 9-0 in the "Alston" case. It upheld a lower court decision that NCAA restrictions on “education-related benefits” for college athletes violated antitrust law. Which it does (I mean, how many times do you see a 9-0 decision these days).

So some combination of Congress and the Conferences (no NCAA!) need to figure this out pronto.