Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Snappy answers to anonymous coach questions about Stetson Bennett, reloading Georgia defense

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited June 2022 in Article commenting
imageSnappy answers to anonymous coach questions about Stetson Bennett, reloading Georgia defense

ATHENS — Reading what coaches told reporters about Georgia anonymously for an Athlon article was like a day spent on social media.

Read the full story here

Comments

• thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Arch Manning to Texas.

• thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Bennett played well enough when he needed to, with the exception of the SEC Championship Game

Ummm ... UGA didn't play a top 10 team prior to the SEC championship game, and while Michigan was clearly a top 10 team they were dominated by UGA's front 7 and had no chance. I will leave discussions to whether UGA would have won the title game had their historically dominant defense not forced 2 turnovers to better and smarter people than myself.

That said, I do agree that UGA will have more options at WR and TE than last year, and will also very likely get more big plays in the running game too.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We averaged 39 points per game without the benefit of Bennet throwing pretty much at all in the 4th quarter (surely a SEC record or close to it for fewest passing attempts by a starting QB in the last few years of air raide offenses)of most games when teams usually pull away from their opponents after they have worn their opponents down for 3 quarters and get the easy add on scores through the passing game in the 4th. We just got ours in the first 3 quarters and CKS turned it over to the ground and pound game to shorten the games in the 4th instead of sticking it to them like so many coaches would have for "style points" . That no doubt cost Bennet some easy TD's.

A little bit of revisionist history by some on here..OK, maybe alot... UGA entered games against SEC opponents that were 2-0, 4-0, 4-1, and 5-1 at the time they played them. Of couse they were all defeated handily. Those teams went on to have good to really good years as in the case of Arkansas who defeated Penn St in a bowl game. Auburn which of course had BAMA on the ropes and should have beaten them with their back up QB and no passing attack, they then went on to play a really good Houston team in a bowl and should have beaten them if memory serves me correctly,losing by what 3? Tennessee played Purdue in a Bowl game, a pretty stiff Purdue team and only losing by 3-4 points in a game that could have gone the other way.

It's not like we played slouches. LOL!

• chilidawg1chilidawg1 Posts: 154 ✭✭✭ Junior

There is an interesting quote in this story from Anonymous, "....The worst thing that can happen after a successful season is when a good but not great QB comes back." That's where we are folks. Bennett's biggest asset is he knows the system, and Smart will be very reluctant to replace him with someone like Carson Beck if he has less experience. Could that reluctance have anything to do with Arch Manning going to Texas?

• Slabdog64Slabdog64 Posts: 31 ✭✭✭ Junior

Our defense will be top 10 at worst and our offense will be better than last year. May not win it all but we will be in the discussion if we don’t lay an egg against someone we should beat.

• BG522BG522 Posts: 28 ✭✭ Sophomore

I worry about how many decomitts we might have now because Manning chose Texas instead of us. And don't try and tell me that it don't happen when a big time recruit ends up going elsewhere

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Any kid that has committed, to-date...committed to the "G", not to Manning. They won't be going anywhere. And, just as a reminder, Manning hasn't beaten out Quinn Ewers yet. Ewers was the "best high school recruit of his time, too"...without a famous family Name.

The Longhorns will undoubtedly gain some recruits, they otherwise wouldn't have had. But, what of it? UGA can't sign em all anyway...oh yeah, and neither can Texas. Smart is getting the guys he wants, now. If anything, BAMA, A&M and LSU will have the most to lose from the "Manning Decision".

The most interesting thing is this...Manning selecting the Longhorns foretells of a TEX/OK to SEC merger taking place, much sooner than many, expected. Possibly next year.

@MikeGriffith

Mike Griffith continuing to insist that UGA ran out of a "spread offense with air-raid principles", at any point last year, exposes his lack of knowledge on the offensive side of the ball. He needs to study what that offense is, exactly. UGA didn't have the personnel to run a "spread/air-raid" offense starting in game 1 against Clemson, and Daniels is not a "spread/air-raid" style QB...Bennett is, however. LOL

The typical "spread/air-raid" style, employs 3 to 4 WR's with a Flanker and mobile QB with the ability to throw on the run. Long passes or passes downfield are not typical of that style of offense and not necessary for a QB to be able to throw 60-70 yds.

I think the implication in the name of the offensive style, is misleading to many. It's an offense designed to get your playmakers the ball, in the second level...behind the Frontline, so-to-speak and spread the defense out with talented WR's from sideline-to-sideline. It's an alternative to teams that are unable to run or block very well. That's not now, nor was it ever, UGA.

That being said, I believe Monkin will employ a variation of that style of offense in 2022, utilizing multi-TE sets. Using the TE position, the way air-raid style teams use the WR position.

Just for the record, Mike...if you're gonna play "Butterfly Effect" with UGA's 2021 season, you can't assume that if the Dawgs lose to Clemson...they will ultimately lose to BAMA in the SECCG.

That's not how it works. If UGA loses to Clemson, they go into the SECCG with a completely different mentality and beat BAMA in a sudden death game...much like they did against AUB in 2017.

Also, Clemson may go on to win-out and make a CFP appearance. That game impacted Clemson's season much more than it did UGA's. After that game, the Tigers were playing lackadaisically and methodically for the next several games. It took weeks for them to recover, mentally and physically.

• David1David1 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Play of the year was Christopher Smith’s pick six vs clemson. Without it, we don’t make the playoffs, much less win the NC. Go Dawgs!!

• chilidawg1chilidawg1 Posts: 154 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm sure Manning liked the environment at Georgia and Athens, but Texas was a much better place to show his skills., and he is probably assured that he will be the starting QB. Since Manning did not grow up wanting to play at Georgia, there was no way he was coming to Athens. Kirby's handling of QBs is also a big part of that decision.

• MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BigDawg61 You may want to review footage from SC and Vandy games, UGA ran Air Raid principles with JT, spread, higher pass/run ratio.

Arch visited the SC game.

Here's what he saw.

https://youtu.be/sNc1Qce574Y

• ChewDawgChewDawg Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

If that's what you're worried about, then you don't know anything about college football. Is there any big time receiver that has committed to GA, in the hopes that Arch was going to GA? The answer is "NO." All of our future big time recruits so far are on the defensive side of the ball. At least put some efforts into your comments, will you?

I've watched highlights of GA from last year and Spring ball this year. From what I saw, Bennett drops a lot of balls on a dime to his targets. I don't know if you just hate Bennett because he's not a 4 or 5 star recruit, or if your analytical skills are actually that awful.

Arch Manning to Texas is a win for GA. I, for one, am actually happy that he chose to go elsewhere. You will see what I mean. The guy is not that great and is way over-rated. His stats back me up on my assessment of him. The only thing great about him is his "Manning" namesake.

Are you forgetting that UGA was on the verge of scoring at the end of the Clemson game and chose to kneel on it and run the clock out,, instead. They would've won with or without the pick-6.

I will...and I'll get back to you. I haven't gone back that far, in the 2021 season, in a while. It's possible I'm overlooking something. I just don't remember seeing a spread, all season. UGA had a few injuries in the WR department that prevented a true spread. To the best of my recollection, they were doing good, just fielding 2 or 3 decent WR's.

@ChewDawg

LOL...Man, you're all over it tonight. Well said!!