Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia marches on without Manning and questions about Kirby Smart quarterbacks

2»

Comments

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2022

Catch 22. UGA can't recruit wr's (and QB's to a degree - see Arch) because UGA doesn't produce big reception and passer stats.

Is that where you use some NIL blockbuster to break the cycle? Not a big fan of NIL in recruiting or no season sit out w/transfer (why is an extra year of free college bad?) But NIL is here. Ideal situation (see TN) to recruit a game changer.

CKS sacrificed another year or 2 of elite WR and QB recruits to go the safe route and lean on a generational D and game managing QB in hopes of riding a low scoring D and fewer potential mistakes to a CFBC. I don't think UGA fans are complaining.

May be the same this season unless Beck or BVG make the move to the starting line up. It would not surprise me. This year's team will need to score more and the better arms may trump experience. Either way big years will be needed from Bowers, Gilbert, Mitchell, Jackson, Blaylock, McConkey, and McIntosh out of the backfield to quiet the criticism of the UGA passing O.

I hope that Manning gets to go up against the UGA D before he leaves CFB. That clip that BA ran on Dawgnation Daily of Arch rolling out and scrambling was eye opening. The level of competition looked really bad. Like middle schoolers. If it meant losing 2 of Beck, BVG and/or Stockton not sure it would be worth signing Arch.

• KudzuKudzu Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Thank you for yet another great post where you pull out the emotion and get real with cold, hard facts (apples-to-apples or not). Not having access to these stats before, my gut was this was the case, but I wasn't sure.

Look, who knows how these QBs will play, but I'm glad they'll all get a fair shot, and sense they're UGA loyal enough to stick it out.

Again, recovering the other recruits now remains job #1😎

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Texas will bring more competition to the SEC for sure, but with the talent they already have coming in at QB besides Manning don't expect Arch to be the automatic starter in '23 or '24. He's got to learn the Sark system, get reps, and earn his spot. I am very glad to see the increased SEC competition coming with both OK and TX. The SEC should increase their value with those two teams as the best and most competitive conference around - by a long shot.

On the downside, TX high school prospects who have been recruited heavily by SEC teams now can be in the SEC and compete without having to play for a Southeastern team. They can stay closer to home and still be part of the SEC. So they get all the benefits and all the competition. I think that may hurt the Dawgs' recruiting efforts in the long run. TX and OK could easily benefit.

As far as UGA and our QB turmoil/struggles over the years, I think this will be a very important season to... A) see how good a Monken pass attack offense can be...and B) find out which QB is going to be the better fit going forward. I've said it before ad nauseum, Stet has got to improve his downfield passing accuracy and overall decision making. We've got a plethora of talented receivers and TEs this season, and we need to take advantage of that and air it out more. Sure, the UGA offense did well last year, but we were riding on the coattails of the best defense in the country. The offense will probably need to step up their game if we have a chance to repeat a NC or even get to the playoffs.

Like Mike said, the QB image is important. I'd love to see one of our guys step up and become the indispensable marketing arm of the UGA offense.

• CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm more concerned about WR recruitment than QB quality as a result of Manning's decision.

We're in pretty good shape for the two or three years with who we have in the QB room. But we don't have a deep pipeline of WRs after this year; from a recruitment standpoint, it's probably our thinnest position group.

This may already be reflected in the recruiting predictions. If I'm not mistaken, ON3 -- which uses some sort of algorithm to come up with its percentages -- knocked our chances of getting Jalen Brown (#3 WR) and Jalen Hall (#14 WR) down by a few percentage points over the last couple of days. I have no idea if they'll prove accurate but I assume they set up their model by running data on past results given similar situations.

• ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I say we pull the plug on the program and focus on BBall. Rejection always stings, but we'll suffer through this and win another Natty with our collection of not Arch qbs.

• BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Just look at the pic MG chose for this article. Mr BvG just looks like a beast. Can he outplay the other guys in the QB room. That’s not my call. The only stat that truly matters to Coach Smart is the W.

• ChewDawgChewDawg Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

Young is definitely a better QB than Jones, but not his Freshman year. Just like Fields is better than Fromm...but not his Freshman year.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I for one do not believe that had Arch's last name not been Manning but Smith, that there would be all of this hoopla or build-up around the guy , playing at a small private school as he did. There just isn't that much to see in his tape that makes you go, "this guy can do what others can't". There's just not. Does he come from a great pedigree? Absolutely, and that is what makes him shine IMHO, that and he played with a cast of midgets around him. If his HS team had played some of the powerhouse teams in GA, they would have gotten slammed. Several of his TD throws were just kick outs to the WR and let them do their thing.

THat said, I think he has about as good a chance as any highly rated QB of being successful, just don't think it's a lock.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That picture above says it all....the Little Train that could.