Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Jermaine Burton tops SEC Media Days Winners and Losers list, Georgia largely overlooked

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited July 2022 in Article commenting
imageJermaine Burton tops SEC Media Days Winners and Losers list, Georgia largely overlooked

ATHENS — There was some thought that shifting SEC Media Days from metro Birmingham to Atlanta might affect preseason voting.

Read the full story here

Comments

• volatilisvolatilis Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Vanderbilt receiving a vote to win the SEC makes it totally suspect to me.

• CDDawgsCDDawgs Posts: 55 ✭✭✭ Junior

Wow, based on these "expert" picks, Alabama is going to win it all easily and Georgia will be lower middle pack at the best. What a **** joke!

• edubbedubb Posts: 54 ✭✭✭ Junior

Alabama is certainly not four sec selections above UGA. The talent gap has been closed but the media guys are not smart enough to figure that out. Plus they are not ready to crown a new king or admit the dynasty supported by bought players and bought referees is faltering. Bama will lose at least one game this year and maybe two.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wouldn't surprise me to find out most of these reporters were paid or comp'd in some way, by various school's alumni or 3rd party, to buy their vote and/or swing other votes toward their players.. And, why not? It's just business. Like Lobbiests in Washington try to sway Congressional or Senate votes one way or another to benefit your clients. It can be used to enhance recruiting and NIL dollars.by pointing out that half your team was elected to the 1st, 2nd or 3rd ALL-SEC team. That distinction has real monitary value in these NIL times.

What's amazing is that every single one of BAMA's offseason TP additions, somehow wound up on the 1st/2nd team ALL-SEC Team. Eli Rick's, Jahmyr Gibbs, Jermaine Burton and Tyler Steen. Amazing that transferring to BAMA magically enhanced their playing ability. LOL.

There's no way way in hell's bathroom, that Burton would be a 1st Team ALL-SEC selection, if he was still at UGA. He hasn't earned that distinction. And, for that matter, why wasn't Tykee Smith selected ALL-SEC? He was 2nd Team ALL-AMERICAN at WV before he transferred to UGA. Did the media just throw him a bone by making him All-American?

The Media is Corrupt and I some cases, just ignorant. Now that we have NIL/TP, College Football is corrupt, too. That sometimes makes for strange bed-fellows. LOL. With all of the money some of these schools have to throw around, it's not a stretch to suggest they have lobbiests promoting their Schools and Players, when it comes to these "superlatives lists".

These polls are being manipulated by a select few to make it appear, just as one example...that if you transfer to BAMA, you will automatically have all the media respect and support you need to improve your personal "brand". Everybody else is fighting an uphill battle to get the recognition they've EARNED.

This list is just one indicator...another is that BAMA scored 2 straight Heisman Winners. What are the odds? Bowers was snubbed for the "Mackey Award". Bennett was snubbed for the "Burlesworth Award". If you know what the Mackey and Burlesworth Awards stand for, you know that Boweres and Bennett embodied the essence of what those awards stood for and they were visible on the National Stage. Those two committees didn't have to do a lot of homework, to find them. LOL

I'm listening to The Paul Finebaum Show while I'm writing this and even he said, the voting at SEC Days was "suspect"...pointing out that Vanderbilt got 1 vote to win the SEC. Mark my words, BAMA will be the first 2 loss team to make the CFP, this year. When money talks...BS walks.

UGA...LEAVE NO DOUBT!!! Kick their butts.

buttons. Indicator, I forgot to mention...

UGA has been identified by various media outlets, as having one of the deepest and most talented Offensive Lines in College football, going into 2022....yet they only had 2 Offensive Linemen selected.

BAMA has been identified by various media outlets as having one of the weakest and most questionable Offensive Lines in College Football and recent BAMA history, going into 2022. So much so, that Saban had to pull some of his 1st string defenders of the Spring Football field, to allow his offense to score...then went after a Vandy OT, Tyler Steen, in order to strengthen their hand.....yet, BAMA had 4 Offensive Linemen selected.

Twice as many as UGA. Based on what??? LOL.

I hear dollar bills rubbing together in Atlanta and Tuscaloosa.

The thing is, they're gonna have to back it up on the field in a little over a month. They can't do it. Sorry.

• brvhrtbrvhrt Posts: 320 ✭✭✭ Junior

Had to go back and see the Cox pick for second team. That pretty much verifies that these d-bags probably haven’t watched a second of film and are simply equating former 5-star status with performance. The rest is taken with a huge grain of salt.

• cbp1947cbp1947 Posts: 51 ✭✭✭ Junior

No offense Mike, but most of you media folks don’t know sheet. Most don’t do their homework. It’s why I don’t give a rat’s behind about these selections. How many of our first round picks were preseason all SEC last year?

Let’s see if Benedict Burton can stay healthy and can earn that spot at the end of the year.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep. It's become a pretty meaningless thing. And I'm sure the media know it is, too. I think it was last year they named Saban "Pre-season Coach of the Year." Yeah. It was a if they were all sitting around revelling in the abject pointlessness of the whole exercise, and one of them was like, Oh I got it, this'll be fun. Let's create a new one that doesn't even make any sense, give it to Saban, and see if anyone says anything. Tee-hee.

Sports Media Prognosticators:

Their names and the publication they represent, should posted along with their votes. There's no need to keep it "confidential" and it would add a little accountability. They may be forced by the public to defend their position throuout the season or get cancelled.

They need to put some skin in the game to be taken seriously.

• TrippTripp Posts: 512 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think this preseason all SEC thing went exactly to coach Smarts plan. He probably told all the Georgia media to not vote for Bulldawg players. He wants them to feel disrespected and mount that motivated chip on their shoulders.

• Erks_ShadowErks_Shadow Posts: 14 ✭✭ Sophomore

I can picture the future quote: "After the 40 to 15 loss to Georgia in the 2022 National Championship game, Saban claimed the Tide would have won but Bama wide receiver Jermaine Burton was injured in the first quarter so QB Bryce Young's two pick sixes to Kelee Ringo were the difference in the game."