Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Anthony Evans III: Blazing fast 4-star Texas speedster sounds conflicted with a decision coming soon

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited August 2022 in Article commenting
imageAnthony Evans III: Blazing fast 4-star Texas speedster sounds conflicted with a decision coming soon

Want to attack every day with the latest Georgia football recruiting info? That’s the Intel. This rep has the latest with 4-star Texas WR Anthony Evans III. He’s the nation’s No. 43 WR and the No. 336 overall prospect for 2023 on the 247Sports Composite ratings.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 183 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

When your initials are ATM, well you get my drift…

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The QB situation at UGA is better than the one at Texas A&M and Oklahoma. Just sayin' ...

• Options
    jrmdvm1jrmdvm1 Posts: 130 ✭✭✭ Junior

Mr. Evans, I will tell you there is one thing I already admire about you: You are putting this decision on a timeline to better be able to help your current team. That is something that makes me want you to come to UGA. I think that UGA really tries to recruit team players, and not those who want just personal success. It is very true in life that the greatest successes happen when you help others to be successful. I wish you the very best no matter where you decide to attend college, but certainly hope that you choose UGA.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2022

Dillon Gabriel has twice as many passing attempts, TD's and passing yards (almost) w/the same amount of INT's as SBIV in the same amount of games. Gabriel also has 2 more yrs of eligibility. OK also has a high 4* QB commit (#38 overall Rivals) for '23.

This young man is 16. Even a commitment on 8/24 would be a soft commitment as he gets to know the new WR coach at OK. Seems like the prospect of playing at OK in that O will be the deciding factor unless aTm opens up the NIL coffers. I have seen this player forecasted to UGA (Rivals) but after reading seems like a longshot.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Certainly, would like to get Evans at UGA. However, I agree with UGADad here. Even if he were to commit to us next week, I don't feel it will be firm. Hopefully I'm wrong. But for those guys like Evans, UGA is a place where he will be coming in to at the right time. The QB prospects in house will make it so.

• Options
    RomeDawg288RomeDawg288 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited August 2022

@UGADad20

Despite the sports blogger being unnecessarily dramatic with the "16 years old" thing - it is safe to conclude that he turns 17 during his senior season which is not uncommon - Anthony Evans III is a class of 2023 recruit just like Yazeed Haynes from Pennsylvania and the rest. Meaning that he could potentially be on campus in January and catching passes from Carson Beck (by then 4 star RS JR) and Brock Vandagriff (5 star RS SO) and Gunner Stockton (4 star RS FR) in March for spring practice.

And yes, I have said what I have said. Though I have bashed and will bash Kirby Smart for his completely bungling the Arch Manning situation (Manning was never going to play for a staff that has produced zero starting or first round pick NFL QBs, plus yes he should have left himself in a position to grab someone else in case Manning didn't come like everyone else did, i.e. Alabama who has 2 QBs with one being a 4 star from Snellville) I like Carson Beck, Brock Vandagriff and Gunner Stockton better than the options in College Station and Norman. And I bet that were they 100% honest so do OU and A&M fans.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Excellent comments and totally agree. We want Team players at UGA. I like this young man’s straight forward honesty. It would be Great if he came to UGA but I fully understand he must do what is best for His future. One thing that stood out is he Does have several family connections to Georgia the state, many of which are also staunch Dawgs fans. If he can come to know the staff ( and current players) at UGA better I feel we might have a shot at getting him. Regardless like you I wish this young man the very best in his future, the only exception is if it’s playing against our Dawgs !!

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hope he becomes a Dawg! Seems like a nice young man. Maybe his mama and other family from Georgia can convince hime to be a Dawg! Wish him the very best, no matter what he decides.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2022

Just go ahead and marry Cale Gundy, for crying out loud. The kid clearly wants to play for OU, he's just looking for a reason to commit there -- and he might do it without a reason. A&M is in the mix because of NIL money. Georgia's hope seems to be that the kid has family in Savannah. I think that ultimately will matter very little. If so, UGA wouldn't lose so many Georgia kids that they really want to other places. In fact, in this piece, he didn't even say that the best thing about Georgia was Savannah OR Athens. He said best thing was Atlanta, which makes me wonder if he even knows where UGA is located because, believe it or not, UGA players don't spend a lot of time in Atlanta during their college careers. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Wow, that was wrong on about everything you said. Don't remember so much being at least half wrong from anyone. Past your bedtime? A 12 pack too many? Wazzup?

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Man, he truly does have one heck of decision to make. My best to him in making it. Contrary to some on here, UGA has a great chance.

One plus is his family if he comes to UGA. His immediate family moves to GA too and then they can be near their other family in GA again. Not to mention his family will not have to travel 6 hours to watch him play like at OU, since they would be moving to UGA and MUCH closer than that I am sure. I do not think it takes 6 hours to go from one corner of GA to the farthest corner from there!

Anyway, his family being reunited in GA, that is a win-win in my book for everybody. Then throw in the iron sharpens iron in practice every day, UGA has a great shot in my book. Track coach relationship with UGA puzzles me though. Maybe he is UGA bound! Hope so!

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think it's wise to consider the benefit of coming to UGA and facing the best D-players in CFB on a daily basis.

This will be year-3 of Monken's offense and I believe it will evolve even more and improve.

Seems many are giving first year Oklahoma coach Brent Venables the credit for Lincoln Riley's offenses. Will a HC with a defensive background really come in and run a pass happy offense? If he does, how good will it be?

Three years ago, it would've been a different story between the OK offense and the GA offense, but in the here and now I think picking Monken and the GA offense would be the wise choice. The choice with the most known elements.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wow, that is quite a detailed article... I appreciate it. It seems pretty clear to me that he was 100% Oklahoma and WANTS to go to OK and is basically looking for some re-assurance that everything will be fine there. I'd say that we are long shots, but we definitely could use more talented WRs.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You will be well received here kid. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I, personally don't believe any of the preseason commitments, including Manning, are set in stone. A lot can change between now and the end of the season. Including, Coach hiring & firings, player transfers and injuries, team records and performances, etc..

For instance....Look at FLA last year. Nobody in their right mind, could've predicted that the Gators would collapse and Dan Mullin would get fired. The same could happen to Texas, this year. BAMA could wind up with 3 losses. Saban could retire. OSU could lose to Notre Dame and Michigan.

Makes for good conversation, but, other than that...I wouldn't bank on many of the commitments. We'll see how things are panning out in November.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2022

I don't see much "wrong" with what DDawg said. Certainly you gave no "reasons" to back up WHY his opinion is any less accurate than your own. IDK about marrying Gundy, that seems rather extreme. But position coaches play a very important role in decision making (See Roquan Smith). Everything else seems like it could be pretty accurate.

This kid is all over the place and doesn't seem like a UGA lean at all. Re-uniting the entire family in GA is probably the only pull for this kid to come to UGA other than playing in a winning program. The reference to ATL is a head scratcher unless he is referring to the big picture after graduation.

IDK why so many GA players are going elsewhere. There are many theories. UGA not recruiting them as hard as other players. Players that don't think UGA can develop them or give them the playing time as quickly. NIL. They grew up fans of AL or LSU or ?. They want an 'away from home' college experience. The big one: "I can't put up big numbers in the UGA O". Who knows? I think CKS will fill out a potential Top 5 class. But, SO FAR, the OFFENSIVE players committed to UGA have been underwhelming.