Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Manti Documentary on Netflix

mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Check out the new Manti Te'o documentary on Netflix when you get a chance.

Includes a lot of things I didn't know and looking back, and understanding how "catfishing" wasn't a widely known concept at that point in time, it really makes me feel bad for the guy.

Meme's are still funny, but I don't fault him as much now as I did then.

Comments

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,882 mod

Just finished the first episode. Still a crazy story ten years later. I hated that guy back then. With how dumb people are on catfish, it makes a bit more sense now but I had zero remorse for him back then.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2022

Seemed to me that Notre Dame didn’t have a whole lot going for them, the "wise guys" / Las Vegas odds-makers knew that they (Notre Dame) were about to get absolutely crushed by the winner of the 2012 SECCG with Georgia versus Alabama, so they needed a story to generate some interest in a sad final matching, and then this poor kid became all of the news media’s focus in an effort to “hype” up something about the Notre Dame team. I could be wrong (I realize I am wrong quite often), but I just think that he was in the right place, at the wrong time, and then he became their media frenzy focus. My own feelings back then? I could have absolutely cared less about the whole ND LB Manti Te'o story (and I honestly didn't pay it any attention at all), I JUST WANTED UGA QB #11 Aaron Murray's pass to be completed in the END ZONE, AND FOR GEORGIA TO GET THAT LAST SECOND WIN OVER ALABAMA!!!!!

• RSDawgRSDawg Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2022

I watched it. Felt bad for Te'o. I laughed about it 10 years ago but I won't be joking about it again. Respect to the dude for recovering from it as well as he has. Roniah/Naya or whatever is mentally ill, and needs help, but he/she won't get any help because right now society has chosen to affirm his/her delusions.

The main takeaway should be the mainstream media doesn’t fact check enough in their desire to be first rather than right.

They built Manti up and then tore him down with the same vigor. And that piranha party impacted his career.

And this made me want to go back to Hawaii.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2022

"The main takeaway should be the mainstream media doesn’t fact check enough in their desire to be first rather than right."

A truer statement has never been uttered. The media is the cause of so much drama and hatred in this world. I still don't understand how some college football player made national news for having a fake girlfriend. I have no desire to watch a documentary on this, but I feel bad for Teo for how the country overreacted. The fact that someone made a documentary shows that the media is still overreacting and won't let it go.

I would encourage you to watch it as it is very interesting. Gives a fuller picture of what happened along with why it happened.

Manti didn’t ask for that attention, him being a great player at Notre Dame brought it to him. If he had gone to USC or UCLA the story might not have gotten as big as it did.

• RSDawgRSDawg Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree with this, it's definitely worth a watch. Like I said it changed my attitude, I won't be joking about it again. A young naive dude was victimized by a sociopath. Nothing too funny about it. Also, like someone said it's a great example of how little scrutinizing the media will do if a story is one they WANT to tell. And they wanted desperately to prop up Notre Dame and make them relevant as usual.

• Shuler82Shuler82 Posts: 62 ✭✭✭ Junior

Like a few others have said, I too came away feeling truly disgusted by the boy/girl lunatic Roniah/Naya. Even 10 years later he/she still almost justified lots of it and couldn’t wrap his/her brain around how crazy/mean it was. You truly are sick if even 10 years later you rationalize any part of it and think it was ok because “I was confused and going through things mentally.” The last straw for having any sympathy for him/her was when she tried bringing her back from the dead. How sick are you that you can’t even let your fake identity go after you’ve killed them off?!?!?!?!?