Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

3 takeaways from Kirby Smart on Oregon: Emerging stars, acknowledging unknowns

SystemSystem Posts: 10,421 admin
edited August 2022 in Article commenting
image3 takeaways from Kirby Smart on Oregon: Emerging stars, acknowledging unknowns

ATHENS — It has been said “Man’s greatest fear is the unknown,” and that certainly applies in the control-heavy world of multi-million dollar football coaches.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Do the ducks still play that breakneck fast paced game, as they did, in the past?

• Options
    SteelerDawgSteelerDawg Posts: 71 ✭✭✭ Junior

I would definitely come out with Tempo to start this game, given the inside knowledge Dan has and the fact that we have lost so many starters on that side of the ball. I would test their communication right off the bat. I don't think it will work but I would definitely try it.

• Options
    SteelerDawgSteelerDawg Posts: 71 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I expect a very good opening game. A spirited game. A battle. Oregon has players. I am of the opinion UGA will win it though due to a better offense, a good enough 1st game defense and the overall continuity of the UGA football program and coaching staff and the familiarity and comfortability the players have in the systems, their roles, their job and with the coaches.

Also throw in the "home" crowd and familiarity of playing in ATL. I hope I am right! I'm pretty sure I am. As long as nothing unusual happens! Go Dawgs!

• Options
    WR_Dawgs_Fan88WR_Dawgs_Fan88 Posts: 22 ✭✭ Sophomore

On the Ryland Goede and Tate Ratledge podcast, when Mykel's name was brought up, they both instantly called him an absolute freak!!

Apparently, Mykel attempted to long arm Tate, and Tate chopped his arm down, and Mykel was like, "man, why did you have to do that??" To which Tate replied laughing, "Do you realize how long your arms are!?!" Mykel went on to laugh and just agreed..lol

(It was also funny hearing Tate explain why he was moved to Guard, and it wasn't due to a logjam of tackles. He was getting whooped repeatedly due to not being fast enough in pass protection.)

Anyways, I took away from their reactions that Mykel is here to make a name for hisself. He's been nearly unblockable and unstoppable since he's gotten here, and he already has an array of moves that he's able to utilize to get to the QB. I think by at the latest itll be maybe midseason, but at least by then Mykel and Jalen Carter are going to end up being the best DL duo in the country...

Yes, Bama has Turner, Anderson, and Braswell who will likely break out this season, but Turner and Anderson are SAM and JACK LBs or on-ball LBs. They are far and away the best tandem of LBs in the country, and UGA will face possibly the 2nd or 3rd best tandem in Sewell and Flowe...

In terms of talent, they aren't very far behind Bama's duo, but the Ducks duo has had a difficult time staying healthy and on the field together to truly show off their All-American abilities...

• Options
    WR_Dawgs_Fan88WR_Dawgs_Fan88 Posts: 22 ✭✭ Sophomore

Actually, if they came out beginning in the 3Q, or especially in the 4Q and Lanning immediately ran an uptempo offense to start, I think it could possibly be detrimental to UGA.

It's the 1st game, so their endurance ain't going to be at 100%, but then they'll also have to rotate in their back-ups more frequently like that, and knowing UGA is going to be forced to play alot of younger players, they could easily have a break in coverage or one of the younger guys miss their assignment..

Even still, Lanning cannot run uptempo the entire game, he doesn't have the depth himself to play like that more than maybe a couple drives; otherwise, he will wear his own lineman down..

Anyways, even if Lanning is successful running an uptempo attack, like I said, he'd be limited to only a few drives, and even if they score on 2/3 of those drives that is still only 14 points. Which UGA should be able to likely score at least 24-30 against this Oregon Defense...

Monken needs to take advantage of the fact that Lanning just installed his defense, so he needs to run alot of counters, option routes, screens, multiple level routes, etc. things that will make it alot more likely that one of the Ducks will be out of position..

Although, honestly, the Dawgs shouldn't really have any troubles just lining up in a 21 personnel, and either running outside zones, or getting the ball to any one of their FOUR ALL-EVERYTHING mismatches at TE over and over again...lol