Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia QB Stetson Bennett bandwagon filling up, college football legend Tim Tebow on board

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited September 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia QB Stetson Bennett bandwagon filling up, college football legend Tim Tebow on board

COLUMBIA, S.C. — The Stetson Bennett bandwagon — and bank account — is filling up with every highlight Georgia’s “Mailman” delivers.

Read the full story here

Comments

• GBALGBAL Posts: 739 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

MG, You were one of the biggest Stetson bashers last year. Have you come around on your opinion?

• EastmandawgEastmandawg Posts: 143 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited September 2022

Although it is refreshing to not see him bash the fellow in most every article, most all of what you read are quotes from others. It's probably hard for him to question Stetson & the staff now since the success they have had to start the new season. The wind has changed directions.

What is most amazing to me, is that there were even still some questions about him last year after he helped bring home the title. More about the writer wanting to be right than wrong IMO.

Like others, I believed in Stetson since the Arkansas game in'20.......the staff did and most importantly, so did Stetson himself and his teammates.

Don't care how tall Stetson is, how far he can throw, how many stars he had, if he was a walk-on, or his pro potential.......he fits. All he does is that he gets the job done, leads and wins. That is good enough for me.

Damn proud he is a Dawg!

• doubledawg1990doubledawg1990 Posts: 107 ✭✭✭ Junior

Can't imagine how hard it is for MG to find (as of the last 5 games) how off base he was about SBIV. Not sure how some of the commenters below see it differently. The constant references beginning last year to him being a walk-on, to how old Stet is, to being a low/no star, to JT Daniels STATs (against mostly cupcakes, mind you), to Monkin's offense going from wide-open air raid concepts to vanilla/basic play action - just near constant condescension or (at best) back-handed compliments. This went on all last year, during the off-season and into fall camp. Do you guys not remember the beginning bias from MG towards Carson Beck?

Anyway. Glad MG is coming around. Should be no surprise that Kirby made/is making the correct decisions about who plays and who doesn't. This should be a reminder to ALL that UGA has a remarkable head coach and coaching staff.

In Kirby We Trust (you should too, MG)!

Go Dawgs!

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wouldn't consider Cincinatti a "cupcake", yet he threw it for 390. LOL! Nor would I consider Mississippi St a "cupcake" when we couldn't rush the ball for 10 yards against their D-line yet threw for 400 yards and won by only 7, but don't let the facts get in the way.

Before JT did what he did, it had been years since anyone put up those kinds of numbers all the way back to 2013 and Aaron Murray glory days when he was throwing it to NFL draftees like Artie Lynch,Chris Conley, Malcom Mitchell and Isaiah McKenzie.

• doubledawg1990doubledawg1990 Posts: 107 ✭✭✭ Junior

Reddawg1 - when you say "don't let the facts get in the way", you must mean don't let SELECT facts get in the way?

Cincinnati - plays in American Athletic Conference. Highest rated teams they played that year were Army #22, SMU #16, and Tulsa #24 (in AAC championship). Other conference games they played were Austin Peay, USF, Memphis, Houston, ECU, and UCF. Not exactly a tough conference.

MSU - was 4-7 that year with wins (only) over LSU (5-5 that year), Vandy, Missouri, and Tulsa. They were tied for last in SEC West that year.

Cupcake might be slightly strong for these two, but not far from it. They certainly don't elevate JT Daniels in the way you/other/MG like to think.

• HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m in agreement with Hemingway; I don’t feel MG was a brasher and truly felt JTD was a better option at QB. Nothing wrong with that and the stuff quoted here are just basic facts and not sure how this shows any bias. Pretty much all of these were facts and are part of the overall story and situation. No need to argue - clearly, SBV4 is a very good college QB and one that has as much leadership and moxie as talent. Love watching this team even more than last year’s - hope they go just as far. Go DAWGS.

• HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was among those aggravated with MG last year and during this off season concerning his views on Bennett. Therefore, I argued with him quite a bit! However, I don’t think of him as a Bennett hater. The conventional wisdom among sports writers, based on experience, was that Bennett was an above average quarterback, nothing more. For me, THIS makes Stetson’s story this year so far even more appealing! I love worthy underdogs. 😎

• CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Monken is the best offensive coach we've ever had. He's crafted an offense that takes advantage of Bennett's considerable talents and experience with our balanced (but not spectacular) WR corps, superb TEs, great line and great running backs.

Not only that, but he's grooming Beck to work similar magic in the same offense. That young man looks REALLY good as an understudy.

It's too early but I've got to be honest to say that I'm hoping that Monken gets the Broyles Award and Bennett gets the Heisman.