Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football ready to take on unbeaten Tennessee: ‘They have perfect storm’

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited October 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football ready to take on unbeaten Tennessee: ‘They have perfect storm’

JACKSONVILLE, FLA. — Larry Munson famously said after the 1980 win over Florida that some property was going to be destroyed.

Read the full story here

Comments

• khummelkhummel Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2022

Love the cover photo with Carson Beck with hands on his head in utter disbelief at what he's seeing Brock Bowers do. We probably all did the same thing at the same time. Go Dawgs!

• 87dawg87dawg Posts: 364 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

"They can’t afford the Bear Alexander penalty that kept the Florida offense on the field, giving them 15 yards and an automatic first down."

In fairness, I blame Kirby for Bear's penalty. The timeout was very poorly timed and the defense was already jacked and at full speed. That allowed the first down when we had them beaten down and it gave them momentum. They then ran through their 17 point run.

Not on the same scale but I remember many years ago sitting in the stands watching Georgia play auburn and beating them. It was fourth down and auburn was punting. Ray Goff called a timeout for no good reason, which gave Terry Bowden time to think. I turned to my brother in law and said, and I remember it clearly, "that is the kind of call that gets you fired". They went for it, made it and went on to win the game.

Coaching mistakes can turn a game on a dime.

• thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited October 2022

@GoodOlDawg

The reason for the turnovers is that UGA is still pushing Bennett for Heisman and the NFL. They knew lots of media guys and NFL scouts were at the game ... to watch Richardson. What better way to shift the focus to Bennett than to have him outshine Richardson? The Gators' horrible defense was supposed to be the perfect opportunity.

So UGA had Bennett throw a lot more risky and difficult passes than normal. A lot fewer "run Bowers and Jackson deep as decoys to create space that you can dump it off short to McConkey or McIntosh in to get yards after the catch" and a lot more intermediate and deep passes. Problem: on said passes either A. the ball didn't come out on a tight spiral and went off target and B. the WRs failed to make a play on the ball.

Result? Basically a wash. Richardson was 18/37/271/1/0 in completions/attempts/yards/TDs/INTs. Not great. But Bennett was 19/38/316/2/2. Now I am someone who is willing to put up with INTs in order to chase big plays in the vertical passing game - which is how John Elway, Dan Marino, Warren Moon etc. played the game in the 80s and 90s before west coast and spread philosophies took over - so statistically Bennett was clearly better. The QB rating formula agrees with me as it gave Bennett an 81 to Richardson's 42. So why was it a wash? Because Bennett was playing future NFL guys against a horrible defense. Richardson was playing with guys who would be backups at UGA against a great one.