Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia coach Kirby Smart: ‘We’re not there,’ 6 takeaways from 42-20 win over Florida

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited October 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia coach Kirby Smart: ‘We’re not there,’ 6 takeaways from 42-20 win over Florida

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Kirby Smart’s message in the aftermath of a 42-20 win over Florida was direct and sobering.

Read the full story here

Comments

• 10DAWG10DAWG Posts: 250 ✭✭✭ Junior

The fact that utk goes so fast and UGA had a hard time getting lined up against uf could be a big issue. Not to mention that Hooker doesn't believe any team can cover their receivers. Go Dawgs !!!

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2022

Projected CFP rankings:

1) Tennessee

2) Ohio State

3) Georgia

4) Michigan

Too many mistakes yesterday. Stet must play the best game of his life - which means a WHOLE lot better than yesterday. Flawless football or we lose. Can't get behind more than 1-2 scores. Need a new defensive leader to step up and take Nolan Smith's place. Communication breakdowns on defense several times after he left yesterday. Fast tempo will require a little magic to defend against.

Loser might be out of playoff consideration.

• My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 379 ✭✭✭ Junior

We better be playing a Man-Zone scheme against Tennessee…we can’t just play man with Lassiter and Starks being so young and not as experienced

• My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 379 ✭✭✭ Junior

Nah, there is a good chance whoever loses…the winner could still beat Bama and the loser of this game sneaks in

edited October 2022

@My_Dawg_Ryan...that's true..I just surmise they won't put (3) SEC teams in the playoffs. Loser of the SEC Championship game gets the 2nd spot most likely unless it's a blowout in which another one loss SEC team might get in over the loser. If Bama makes it to the Championship game and loses then yes, another 1-loss SEC team could sneak in...if there is one.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Go back and look at the Bama game with the Vols. Both are beatable. UGA's weakness will lie with the absence of one Nolan Smith....who will not be back for the Vols game save a miracle. Nolan left and communication problems began. Must be in perfect sync. to beat TN. They are riding high on sheer momentum and energy...defying UGA to beat them. Erase 3rd qtr yesterday and the Vols are beaten. Yes, they throttled KY but to me KY is just not that good against an up tempo team. UGA can do this and will!

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Vols may be “salivating” today, but come Saturday at kickoff they will have a bad case of the dry mouth!

With only two away games this season and LSU being after an off week, the noise and absolute insanity of Dawg Nation in Sanford Stadium will prep Ole Smokey for neutering and the Dawgs will leave Sanford with his balls as a trophy!

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Excellent article, Mike.

Kirby keeps saying we haven't played our best game or up to our standard yet. He's right with the possible exception of the Oregon game. Fact is we have not had to play our best game yet.

Now's the time.

I agree with @UGA66, Tennessee is beatable. On any given Saturday...

Go, Dawgs!

• GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Dawgs will have to take advantage of playing at Sanford Stadium (crowd noise), this could help get that Vols offense off the field. We’ve heard it repeated several times from CKS himself that running ability is what sets Stetson Bennett apart from everyone else. He had no run plays yesterday against the Gators. I believe the Vols need to see his running ability up close and in person, and give them one more thing to have to defend against. GO DAWGS!

RIPCVD

• dogs_n_bravesdogs_n_braves Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

TN was totally susceptible to a strong run game last night - even when it was predictable. If SBIV can keep them honest with short-to-mid-range passes to the sidelines, we should be able to run all over them. I will say, though, that LSU might be the only other stadium to rock like Neyland does. Athens just never seems to have much effect on opposing teams. If this game were in Knoxville, I think that TN would be favored by 8.

The key is in the trenches. Some pressure on Hooker from the linemen and a good push by the o-line. Give Daijun Edwards the start and the ball at least 20 times. Keep three tight ends on the field at all times. Bowers has half the production without Washington. I like McConkey but Dillon Bell looks quicker and more sure handed. Lastly, SBIV has to make better throws. Should have had 4 picks against Florida. Can't throw behind receivers anymore. Showing good pocket presence this year, though.

Dawgs will be fine.

@ShoottheHooch....all I can say is I hope you are right! We'll see.

GO DAWGS!!

• edubbedubb Posts: 54 ✭✭✭ Junior

Based on Brenton Cox’s stat line he is as not there yet either! Go Dawgs

• thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited October 2022

The Gators have excellent LBs, good DBs (though better at safety than CB) but absolutely atrocious DLs. Whether Florida or Vanderbilt are worse at DL is a real debate. Seriously. It is why Napier has recruited six defensive linemen in this class and is actually trying to land a couple more.

Florida's starting DLs? All sophomores. The starting LDE? 245 lbs. His UGA counterpart is a 280 lbs 5th year senior. The RDE is actually a 310 lb. 5 star recruit but he isn't playing anywhere near his measurables or recruiting hype. But the NT? Yeah ... he is 400 lbs. And that is down from 415 lbs in the offseason. Yes, he was a 4 star recruit. No, actual big time programs like Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, Ohio State etc. didn't have any interest in a 400 lb. player no matter how highly rated he was. And why are these three starting? Because everyone behind them on the depth chart is a freshman. Dan Mullen recruiting in action.

• MACDAWGMACDAWG Posts: 255 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited October 2022

@dogs_n_braves "Athens just never seems to have much effect on opposing teams. "

Totally disagree. Did you happen to go to the Arkansas game last year? A noon game at that!! It was deafening and it's always that way for big games. Have you seen the past few years how many procedure calls the crowd has caused opposing offenses?. Heck, don't take my word for how loud or intimidating Sanford Stadium is , ask the recruits that have visited or just look at the comments they have made. Even ones that don't commit to UGA, words like crazy, electric, awesome, etc. One of the most important components of UGA signing these top three classes every year has been the atmosphere in Sanford Stadium. Announcers have said over and over when speaking of big games at Sanford Stadium, "one of the best atmospheres in college football". I don't think you're giving UGA the credit it deserves.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

LOL...Beatable? Of course, they are beatable. BAMA almost beat em and they are beatable too.

I know a lot of people, including some of the so-called experts, don't see it yet. They're blinded by their own hype. UGA is just a better football team than TENN or BAMA or Clemson. In fact, OSU might be the only team that can give the Dawgs a run for their money.

The last time, Dawgs fans saw what this team will look like, going forward, was on Sep 3rd in the ATL. Next week, Smart and Monkin will take the choker chain off the Dawg's neck and turn em loose. There's no further reason to play possum.

PREDICTION:

Dawgs WIN 54-27...final score!!!

Take it to the bank or your local bookie. LOL