Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia quarterback Stetson Bennett gets past Florida, will be key against Tennessee

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited October 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia quarterback Stetson Bennett gets past Florida, will be key against Tennessee

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Stetson Bennett has played football long enough to know how to take the good with the bad.

Read the full story here

Comments

• jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Better find some pressure for Hooker. When he has time, he will clobber you.

• LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Their offense depends on being fast paced and I'm wondering if a loud crowd upsets this because they can't audible at the LOS.

Tennessee has really only played at Pitt in a hostile crowd...the LSU game was a joke...more Vols fans than LSU.

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Run the ball primarily until they show they can stop it consistently. Let Stets run More as well. Let him make the easier passes that he’s comfortable with, enough passing to keep the Vols from crowding the line of scrimmage. USE that Big, Strong, Talented O Line the Dawgs have. And keep rotating our stable of RBs in and out. THEN after the Vols are a bit fatigued from Trying to stop the run, gash them with a pass to Bowers. From what I’ve seen of the Vols they are more Vulnerable to the run than the pass. And No I don’t care what the Stats say. KY was running the ball on them pretty decent and then just abruptly stopped and started slinging the ball which resulted in I think a total of 4 INTS !! You Can’t turn the ball over and beat the Vols !! I don’t think they’ve faced as potent a run game as the Dawgs have by committee. K.Mac, D. Edwards, and B. Robinson are a powerful force to reckon with IF our O Line is doing a good job. Just like others have posted and I agree fully, keep the Vols O watching from the sidelines and gas Their Defense instead of the other way around !! Go Dawgs !!

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2022

Although I suspect we'll throw the ball downfield a time or two to our great advantage, I believe the keys to our success on offense will be passes which are basically extension of the running game coupled with a tough smash mouth running game. Perhaps Bowers and Washington and Gilbert will be able to satisfy demands for long, breakaway runs. I'm also of the opinion that KMc may have turned a big corner in Jacksonville; perhaps he will realize his potential.

As always our game is to beat the other team to death. Towards that end we will need to keep possession of the ball. We must score touchdowns. We must keep their defense on the field and wear them down.

For the most part so far this season we have been able so far to keep our cards very close to the vest. That doesn't mean Tennessee has forgotten what a good runner Stetson is. It also doesn't mean Stetson shouldn't run on the Hillbillies.

Last season going into the Tennessee game many were concerned about Tennessee's offense. Rightly so. Same this year but more so. We don't have to stop them entirely, but why not make that the team goal?

One thing many are forgetting is how good our offense is. Ours appears to be much more basic and vanilla than Tennessee's but ours is very capable and quite sophisticated. Coach Monken has his work cut out for him as do the entire Kirby & Company coaching room.

Much is on Stetson. I'm a bit concerned about his shoulder. I'm also aware that his backup is very capable. I'd be shocked if we're down at the half and Kirby replaces Stetson with Carson, but it worked twice for Nick Saban. My guess is Stetson will have a great game, playing within himself, running more than he usually does. Stetson hasn't always had to play well for us to win, but much is on his shoulders come Saturday afternoon.

We must be very physical and plenty smart to pull off a win on Saturday, but I wouldn't bet against the boys in red.

Go, Dawgs!

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have never been impressed with Will Levis as a QB. Even less so after Saturday's game. He got intimidated and started throwing up stuff he shouldn't have thrown. He lost his composure and any chance for a decent game. THey were never going to beat Tenn, but they could have made it respectable.

• HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not sure I’m concerned about his confidence; I believe his poor decision making shows much of that confidence may be unwarranted. He doesn’t have the strength to make some of those throws and should either run or throw it away. The receivers and TEs have to work awfully hard for most of those passes and unfortunately aren’t in a good position for YAC. He used to be relatively accurate and now that seems to be wavering. Our biggest strength Saturday could very well be our TEs against their LBs and that will require accurate passes that hit the receiver in stride to do the most damage. Hoping for a good game plan and execution and hopefully, a bit more realistic confidence.

• thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited October 2022

Strange to talk about how many passes that should have been completed were dropped when Bennett's biggest passing play of the night - and season - came on an off target throw to AND bad decision to throw the ball in the first place to a 100% covered Brock Bowers. If the DB plays it slightly better, it is a pick-six the other direction. Fortunately for UGA and Bennett, Mullen failed to recruit enough DBs capable of making plays on the ball and it was a 73 yard "TD pass".

Despite all the hype, it really does look like this is going to be a 2 game regular season for UGA: Tennessee on Saturday and whoever they get in the SEC title game. Kentucky and Mississippi State have turned out to be just Kentucky and Mississippi State after all, and Florida is 2 years away. But unless UGA can get their 2017 and 2021 pass rush back, Bennett is going to have to play a lot better than he has this season in order to win those 2 games. Before anyone says "what about Oregon!" ... as I predicted, teams now have tape on the unconventional offense that Georgia is running and have schemed to stop it.

Maybe Monken and Smart anticipated this and have other stuff planned. I was hoping to see evidence of this against the Florida game, but instead they went with the "let's use the fact that Florida has absolutely no chance to try to get Bennett back into the Heisman race and on the NFL draft radar by having him attempt a bunch of throws that he doesn't have the arm strength to consistently get tight spirals on" and it went badly. The easiest, simplest and best thing - what is far more likely to work - is to just go back to last year's offense. You know, the one where Bennett put up 300 yards and 3 TDs against Michigan. Yes, it will result in CJ Stroud winning the Heisman - which is going to happen anyway because Stroud actually is the better player - and Bennett starting his new job as a UGA grad assistant right away instead of getting the obligatory 2 years on an NFL team's practice squad.

But it might just result in UGA becoming the first team to repeat as national champions in the playoff era. Which, you know, should be more important than maximizing Bennett's star power. After all, the last QB to win 2 straight titles - AJ McCarron - didn't get squat. No Heisman, was a 5th round pick and career backup in the NFL, etc. And McCarron is a lot taller with a much stronger arm than Bennett. Just something to think about ...

• GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Absolutely, the crowd noise is very important and CKS has already took to social media to emphasize the importance of yelling. He said if you leave the stadium after the game and you still have a voice, then you didn't yell enough! This is very important information because when it comes to yelling, CKS is a subject matter expert! 😂 GO DAWGS!

• JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 348 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Lead a receiver running a crossing pattern! It ain’t that difficult. Give up on the deep ball. Stet can’t complete a really deep ball - unless it bounces off a defender. Accuracy has been very poor lately. Does this mean we struggle against a relatively poor pass defense? Maybe.

• deputydogdeputydog Posts: 132 ✭✭✭ Junior

QB is the one position I worry about. How many balls did he throw that should have been intercepted. He gets a pass because of last year but man does he need to step it up. It is plain to see that he is not quite there yet, but hopefully he will get there. The dawgs just like the braves are playing with house money. I did not expect either championship last year so here is hoping for the best. By the way I am not worried about the Vols, I just want the QB to play better.

• BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Bennett had looked stronger and more efficient earlier in the season when he was rolling out. His passes from the pocket seem to be thrown high and not always in stride. Of course he did hit Washington perfectly but DW just dropped it. Can’t help but think Stets height compare to the OL/DL might have an effect if there isn’t a throwing lane. Get him on the move again!!!

• RationalDawgRationalDawg Posts: 12 ✭ Freshman

thadec the stealth troll is "concern trolling" again

You've been asked before thadec, who is your team?