Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Anonymous coaches rip Georgia football defense, wide receivers to ESPN

SystemSystem Posts: 10,422 admin
edited November 2022 in Article commenting
imageAnonymous coaches rip Georgia football defense, wide receivers to ESPN

Some out there aren’t all that impressed with a number of aspects of the Georgia football team. And several anonymous coaches made their feelings known to ESPN’s Pete Thamel.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

FTMF HBTFD! I realize we play a lot of freshman, but this deep into the season, they aren't freshman anymore. These anonymous coaches are weak and jealous. Ask them again on Sunday.

• Options
    Joe31Joe31 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Several anonymous coaches? “Hey Pete Thamel this is what I really think of GA, but you can’t tell anyone that I said it.” This just sounds silly.

To say our secondary isn’t that good can’t truthfully come from a college coach that has paid any attention. And our defensive front is average. What? Makes me wonder if Kirby orchestrated this for added motivation.

• Options
    EastmandawgEastmandawg Posts: 145 ✭✭✭ Junior

last I looked, Dawgs received 45 of 63 1st place votes in the coaches poll for a #1 ranking.

Probably Pee Wee league assistant coaches doing the “anonymous” quotes.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 650 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mike's trying to get us riled up. He'll probably be successful with THOSE quotes.! :-)

Those anonymous potshots at our DL, secondary and receivers seem on their face to be ridiculous: Carter showed last week why he's a likely top 10 draft pick, and he certainly has a better than "average" supporting cast. I don't see how the secondary can be "below average" when Ringo, Stark and C. Smith are each a potential all-American. And if Brock Bowers is the only guy who "really, really scares you," you're about to get run over by the Big O!

But, really, who cares what sour grapes this reporter is able to squeeze out of anonymous sources?

If I'm being honest, I AM concerned that Hooker will find some seams and blown coverages in our secondary (a la last week). And without Nolan Smith, somebody will need to step up bigtime to provide pressure from the edge. On offense, I'm more concerned about SBIV's up-and-down performance than I am about our receivers -- particularly those high throws that the Vols D backs are fast enough to grab.

But the truth is that Tennessee didn't all of sudden gain some huge talent edge over Georgia. It's more about whether their scheme has gelled to the point that our young defense can't stop them, and about whether our exquisitely talented offense doesn't make mistakes. The answer will come at game time -- not anonymous cheap shots from whomever has an axe to grind..

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

While I couldn't argue against the WR opinion. We've all been wondering when do we get the top receivers like BAMA. I would argue that we embody the "team concept" about as well as any team UGA has offered in recent memories. Sort of(beside Bowers and Bennet) a no name approach. Carter has been injured along with AD Mitchell. Our best lineman and WR.

So it's just been a bunch of "guys" getting the job done, quietly, if not unspectacularly! We'll see if a bunch of "guys" buying in means as much or more than 2-3 All-American/Heisman types carrying a team.

I've already compared Tenn to BAMA a year ago, when they lost their best two receivers they didn't have "guys" who could step up and fill their shoes. Tenn would have alread lost 2 games for sure and possibly 3 without their best 2 playmakers. I don't believe that would be true of UGA.

We'll definitely see what this "team " is made of come Saturday afternoon. And if we beat them( I say we will) then what will be all the talk come Monday with the ESPN pundits? Will a UGA win leapfrog us over Ohio St? THey're so fraudulent.

• Options
    Slabdog64Slabdog64 Posts: 31 ✭✭✭ Junior

Any real coach with a backbone puts his name with his quotes. I ain’t buying this crap.

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 465 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited November 2022

Can’t believe Coach Kirby is planting his own rat poison. 😳

check statistics. Defense if just fine- points per game- 10.2?

check statistics. Offense is top 10 in almost all categories.

• Options
    DawgZillaDawgZilla Posts: 10 ✭✭ Sophomore

Anonymous? You mean...gutless cowards full of JEALOUSY that their team's roster has less talent than UGA's, maybe less than a lot of FCS teams. Who gives a f**k what they think?

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2022

There is a lot at stake beyond the big money that comes with being a playoff team. I hope I am wrong but I could see a Missouri like cheap shot on the knee of JCarter early in this game. Get him out and chalk up the win. You can't headhunt the QB like AL did in the old days to get someone out of the game. But you can take out a guy's knee "blocking" him.

According to this article, UGA wr's "are just guys". Is this where UGA pays the price for reining the O in to fit SBIV's skillset? The price paid was in wr (and QB) recruiting in '20 and '21.

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 465 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited November 2022

Went to ESPN and read the article. It’s actually neutral to positive towards the dawgs IMO. So thanks Conner for creating pulling the couple of negative items to increase your clicks.

• Options
    BigFanBigFan Posts: 146 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited November 2022

Pete Thamel? He is who we thought he was! He is who we thought he was! (thanks to Dennis Green)

His job is to generate clicks. Period. Got some, too.

ESPN scraping the bottom of the bowl on this one (even for them). Just more material to pin to the bulletin board. Maybe Brooksie is right: Kirby planting these :-)

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“I won’t be surprised if Tennessee scores 50,” one coach said. “Georgia’s front is average. Their back end is below average. "

Wow, I guess I owe Coach Anonymous a debt of gratitude for that bit of insight. I thought the UGA defense was pretty good, but according to this subject matter expert, They're below average! Imagine my embarrassment if I had spoken ignorantly about how well the Dawgs defense has played through 8 games this season, giving up an average of only 10.5 points per game. No one would ever again take me seriously in a discussion about college football. But thanks to Coach Anonymous I have been spared that unfortunate experience, and I can speak with unwavering confidence about how the Dawgs Defense has done nothing impressive this year and shouldn't even be ranked.

“I just don’t know if they have anyone outside Brock Bowers that really, really scares you at the wide receiver position right now,”

Saved again by Coach Anonymous! for nearly two football seasons I've thought Brock Bowers was a Tight End. Now that I know he's a Wide Receiver I don't have to worry about all the strange looks from my friends when I talk about the mismatch that he presents when a Linebacker tries to cover him in man-coverage, or how he is more than capable of blocking a Defensive Lineman. Thanks ESPN and Coach Anonymous, you may have rescued me from my own ignorance and restored my water cooler credibility!

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Sounds like Kelly from LSU to me. Specifically since WRs were brought into it, since he has our old WR coach. He's always disliked UGA, doesn't help that he's 0-2 against us. He just got lucky with all the talent that was floating around Baton Rouge. Zero respect for UGA from him.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not at all upset or surprised by this. I'm sure, at some point, Kirby Smart has had some "anonymous" quotes when talking about other teams. It's the nature of both football AND journalism.

What they said, to date, isn't that far off. I don't know that any of our wide receivers would make even second-team All-SEC. McConkey might, might be a third-teamer. And while I thought Ringo played well against Florida I do have grave concerns about his overall speed and ability to keep pace with the Tennessee receivers. Same for Lassiter. I know those two aren't going to shut them down 100 percent, but I just don't know if they can do it more often than not, which is what we'll need. I guess we'll find out the answers to all our questions in a little over 48 hours. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    UGA64UGA64 Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior

Who cares what other coaches think! It's Jealousy on their part, If it wasn't they would not put down another team in a public way. I like it when we talk about schemes and looks against other teams and how we will counter to win games. I think Kirby is a show me type of coach that believes his players will rise to whom ever the opponent may be. He does have a lot of great athletes on that UGA Teams! Go Dawgs