Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

CFP Picture: Top 4 control destiny, Alabama, Ohio State, Tennessee anxiously await rankings

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited November 2022 in Article commenting
imageCFP Picture: Top 4 control destiny, Alabama, Ohio State, Tennessee anxiously await rankings

ATHENS — There were significant developments in the College Football Playoff picture with No. 1 Georgia likely clinching one of the top four spots.

Read the full story here

Comments

• BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

All opinions are right until they’re not. I believe TENN should be 5 with Bama 7. But believe the committee will put Ohio State at 5 and Bama 6.

of course championships could throw confusion to all if Utah and Kansas State can provide excitement.

• SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I would prefer to play TCU in the first round instead of USC. Of course the committee will not pit a Big 10 team against the PAC 12 in the playoffs in deference to the Rose Bowl.

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If TCU or USC fall, let's just do away with the drama, it will be Ohio St - period. Just watch how many talking heads will trumpet OS - acting as though they didn't just get drug up and down the field in their own stadium.

Alabama would be more deserving, but with one loss OS would get the nod. Not because they would deserve it, and not because they're one of the 4 best teams, but because so many people would rather see them get in.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Brooksie,

I agree, the debate will be whacko this year over which team should get in the playoffs if TCU and/or USC falters next weekend. I can already hear the Buckeyes saying, “we are a 1 loss team and Bama and Tenn have 2”. Bama will say they had 2 cliffhanger losses on the road to ranked teams. While the Vols will say they beat Bama while ignoring they got stomped by UGA and SC. It will definitely be fun to watch. Go Dawgs!!!

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Big "if" there Smartstheman....but you are right...OSU will likely get the nod if one of those two falls...drubbing by Mich. notwithstanding. To me, OSU does not look top four worthy. Not at all. Hard to figure what the vaunted "committee:" will do? One thing is for sure...UGA is numero uno. GO DAWGS!!!

• truthtellertruthteller Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited November 2022

I don't want to hear that Alabama should make the CFPs because of their quality of wins, and their close loses. Ridiculous. Look at the won-loss records of the teams that BAMA beat. Then, look at the won-loss records of the teams they barely beat. BAMA should forget the playoffs this year. They have failed as a team and Saban is old, tired and should retire.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bama is done. Period. They had their last shot to show off against Auburn and they gave up 400 yards and committed 11 penalties. Tenn on the other hand destroyed Vandy and their loss to Carolina looks better as they beat Clemson.

• 97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Two loss Bama getting the nod over one loss teams would be absolute garbage.

• SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

A two loss Bama is absolutely deserving over a one loss OSU and a two loss Tenn. I know people don’t want to admit it, but Bama would be favored by at least 7 over both on a neutral site, and the goal of the CFP is to identify the four best teams, right now. Too many people confuse standings and rankings. Don’t be surprised to see Bama sneak in if TCU loses next week. In fact, they may end up third and play Michigan in the Fiesta with USC playing Georgia in the Peach.

• jmarlinjmarlin Posts: 275 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The goal isn’t to find best four and it never was. The goal is to make sure we have undisputed #1 which we didn’t have in BCS era.

UGA, Michigan, TCU in playoff even if they lose their championship game. Ohio replaces USC if USC loses. No hope for bama or tenn and they don’t deserve it.

• VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

People like to point out Bama only lost the two by last minute heroics. They don’t like to mention there are 2 wins they won by last minute heroics.

i think the dawgs would love to crank lsu and Bama in the same season. This team has played like youngsters against lesser foes but in prime time match ups they’ve dominated.

regardless of opponent, I see the dawgs by 3 scores!

go dawgs!

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How it should be and how it will be are two different stories.

• GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“While the Vols will say they beat Bama while ignoring they got stomped by UGA and SC.”

The Vols should exercise their right to remain silent now that they are without Hendon Hooker. They were fortunate to be facing Vandy yesterday, so they shouldn’t confuse success against them with being championship ready. But you are correct, they and Bama will probably try to make a case for including them.

GO DAWGS!

• VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All I have to say is Bama needs to remember 2018 when the eeked by us in seccg and Kirby made the statements about I guarantee they don’t want to play us again. We were definitely one of the 4 best teams in the country but we lost at the wrong time

• GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

Regardless of what transpired this weekend in college football. Alabama nor Tennessee should be in the college football playoffs. Why should they benefit from the other team's misfortune? Georgia lost to Bama in the 2018 SEC championship game and by far was one of the best teams in the country but did not make the playoffs because of the loss. Alabama nor Tennessee is playing in the SEC Championship game this year and their opportunities to put themselves in the position to do so, but did not cash in. How can a team be rewarded for not playing in the league championship game? The teams that do is not.

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,735 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Very interesting discussion.

Just win the games, Dawgs!

Go, Dawgs!

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2022

Mike, I'd agree with your Top 4, but I'd have Ohio State as #5, Bama #6, and Tennessee #7. In my view as it stands right now the only way Ohio State has a chance to get in the playoff is if either USC or TCU loses their Championship games. And then it will depend on how they played and the final score. Those Top (5) teams are the only ones I see as being contenders in any playoff scenario.

The Dawgs will remain win or lose unless for some reason the Bayou Bengals stomp us badly in which case there could be some discussion. Even then, with 3 losses, I don't see LSU sneaking into the playoffs under any circumstance.

• DJG76DJG76 Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

No two loss teams should make it. TOS should not make it simply because they got an arse kicking in their on house by the only quality team they've played all season. Georgia will win SEC, Michigan will win Big 10, TCU will win SW and USC will win Pac 12.....Mike, for a guy that is surrounded 24/7 in college football this call should have been easy.

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Montana your take is the most reasonable imho. The key word being IF TCU or USC loses their Championship games. Both Bama and TN lost two games each, everything else doesn’t matter imho. And as for LSU, there’s No Way they should be in with Three losses, Even if they some how ( which they won’t ) pull an upset over the Dawgs.

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree wholly with your take on No two loss team should be in.