Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football stock report: Kenny McIntosh carries offense, defense dominates

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited November 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football stock report: Kenny McIntosh carries offense, defense dominates

ATHENS — Kirby Smart would be the first to say Georgia has yet to play its best football, and considering how Saturday went, that’s a very good thing.

Read the full story here

Comments

• jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

What's up with Bennett?

• JTM22JTM22 Posts: 56 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

SB 18 passing attempts? I think for whatever reason,I don't know why, but there seems to be a concerted effort to keep the ball out of SB's hands. The last 4 games he's averaging 25 attempts per game. The Miss St. game inflates those attempts somewhat because we couldn't run against them outside of Ladd's long end around and a 34 yard Keeper by SB.

The play calling has been pretty vanilla.

• BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

He seems to play down to the level of his competition. Kind of like a big brother kidding around with his younger siblings.

he has the skills but just doesn’t seem to always have the motivation.

• kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

To Jalen carter's credit, not much he can do when they were doing a bunch of perimeter short throws. Besides the obvious deep throw we were beaten by. But as said in the article, yet again we seemed to play down. Pass defense on that 1st drive looked like we were still on the bus. Glad we tightened that up. Also tech had some dropped balls that could've really kept it way closer than needed.

• JTM22JTM22 Posts: 56 ✭✭✭ Junior

My only hope with SB and the offense is UGA know they’re going to win against these other teams and they’re holding back the plays for the ‘real’ games, such as LSU and the CFP…

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Unless the opposing QB is floating or remains in pocket, Carter cannot get to them fast enough. Short wideout passes are too quick to allow penetration into the backfield...IMO. Carter is a phenomenal player....I will always praise him. Never give Carter Stock Even. His efforts are what keeps UGA defense alive. Stetson throwing that short shoe lace pass to Bowers had me scrathing my head again. Did you notice....two UGA receivers were open? Bowers barely handed it...just. SB's stock was even. Podlesny and Thorson have super feet. They are fantastic kickers. I agree with most of your calls, Mike. Each game presents different play schemes, impacting different players more than others.

• kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Same exact sentiment about Carter. Only thing I would add about SB, sometimes he gets too dialed into 1 receiver/route and doesn't look around. Which has cost us a couple TDs this year.

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2022

I agree with my fellow Dawgs fans here. I Believe that our Dawgs including Stetson will be Totally Motivated for This game !! It’s the SECCG !!! Plus it’s an opportunity for Revenge against LSU !!! Only thing the Dawgs might come in at the start a little To juiced !! So look for a couple of Over Reactions at the start, but Then they will settle down and go on to totally dismantle LSU !! Go Dawgs !!

• HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Love to see McConkey mentioned as soaring. He had an awesome game in all facets of the game. Heck, the only thing he didn’t soar on was defense and maybe we should float him there some (just kidding). Starks is such a gifted athlete he may sometimes rely on that too much but boy what a talent as a freshman. My hope as the DAWGs move forward is that there isn’t a growing lack of confidence in Bennett and his ability to make plays. Last 2 games, he has been put in a box and hopefully that is because there wasn’t a need and not that there is growing concern with him management of the field and options.

Agree with your comments. Sure would be great to get AD back. That would give Stetson a legitimate deep threat target, that is when AD is at or very close to 100%. If AD is close to ready imho I’d play him sparingly vs LSU unless the game is in Real jeopardy and we need him much more. Let him play some snaps to knock some of the rust off and save him for the playoffs. I’m Believing that our Dawgs can beat LSU with primarily a ground attack. They looked Very porous vs TAMU and if I heard right Achane was coming back from after having been out with injuries and he Still gashed LSU badly !! KMac is already saying he’s looking forward to this game !! Go Dawgs !!

What's up with Kelee Ringo, seems to have played better in the second half but his first half performance looked to me as if he just wan't trying much. Hard to believe he will be a top round draftee as some keep saying. THey kept targeting him. Not generally what a team does who fears someone.

edited November 2022

I don’t know the answer. But one time he’ll get either burned or a penalty, another time he’ll make an INT. I honestly don’t know. STILL I’d rather have him than not have him. It’s really weird but the times where he Does get an INT or has knocked the ball down were at the Exact time in the game where we really Needed that to happen !! He’s sort of a reflection of what this team has been, Highs and Lows. But in the end I guess as long as we keep seeing those W’s it’s all’s well that ends well !! Go Dawgs !! P.S. My Ole memory is getting worse, but I think he got burned in Last years SECCG, only to come back and be a Hero in the Natty !! Maybe he can get the bad parts worked out and be all good. Hope so.

@navydawg

Yeh, I agree, it's like Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hide. A conglomeration of good and bad. It's the effort that puzzles me, moreso than the talent. I don't expect him to defend every pass(well maybe I do if you're being talked about as a shutdown type NFL DB.) but it's the what looks like a lack of effort, as in the attempted tackle he just whiffed at. Head scratcher type stuff. I guess when you don't have better at such a key position, then you put up with it.

But for any other position group you might just bench a guy for that lack of effort and zeal.

• truthtellertruthteller Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior

Great analysis MG. I for one, will not be sad to see SB go after this year. He played well last year, but this year, he has been hit or miss. Luckily our defense continues to be good, so the game is not on the QBs shoulders. Beck? I don't know. He hasn't shown a whole lot, but then again, he hasn't had a ton of opportunities this year. Not thrilled with his fumble on Saturday. BVG or Gunner? I am more excited about these guys, because they are more mobile and both have great arms. I also think that Monken could be more innovative with his play calling with either of those two. It will be exciting to see what transpires in the QB room for next season.

• CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have four suggested changes for Mi quibbles:

1. Given that "Stock Even" is Mike's euphemism for "didn't play up to his par," Bowers doesn't belong in the same category as Bennett and Starks. Five receptions, including that shoestring in the end zone, count as a pretty good day!
    2. I would've put Carson Beck on "Stock Even" (not up to par). He's played quite well most of the time but looked a bit stiff Saturday -- even before that lame fumble. I'm glad he got the opportunity to mess up though because it'll make him a better QB next year.
    3. Carter didn't really have a bad game IMO. They were running and scrambling away from him to the perimeter, and he still had 1.5 TFLs -- including one where he grabbed their RB from the side, stopped his momentum, picked him up like a chihuahua and plunked him down on his back. Bottom line: They only had 40 yards rushing.
    4. Beal deserves some recognition. He was very active, taking up leadership on the outside and grabbing two fumbles.

Another observation: Our offense is so good in so many areas. We have the best TEs in the country, maybe the best OL and among the best RBs. We do lack that one WR who draws extra attention because he gets separation regularly -- much less multiple guys like that, as the Buckeyes, Trojans and Vols have. But AD could change that when he finally returns, Ladd is right up there in sneakiness, and Arian Smith has shown flashes of being that guy, too.

Then, there's Bennett's unevenness: Against weak competition, he looks like a decent quarterback with wheels who makes more than his share of bad passes. Against real competition, he usually plays like a Heisman winner on a good day. It's great that SBIV almost always rises to the occasion, but I'd be a wee bit more comfortable if he always played the way he did this year against the Ducks, Gamecocks and Vols.