Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

NFL experts:Jalen Carter is best player on Georgia’s team, ‘he destroys them all’

SystemSystem Posts: 10,669 admin
edited December 2022 in Article commenting
imageNFL experts:Jalen Carter is best player on Georgia’s team, ‘he destroys them all’

ATHENS — The best on the Georgia football team - by far — is Jalen Carter, according to NFL experts, who are assessing what the 2023 draft will look like.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jalen Carter should go down in UGA defensive history. He is a brute with quick feet. Literally pushes offensive linemen aside with one arm! Smothers QBs before they know he is even on them. Leaps to block FGs. He is a first round pick for certain. What a hole will be left in UGA's defense when he leaves. He is my favorite UGA player.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Will Anderson's stats are down: from 31 TFL and 17 sacks to 17 TFL and 10 sacks. Phidarian Mathis wasn't even that great - 2nd round pick - but looks like even if he wasn't a pass rusher himself, he was at least good enough to occupy the OLs to free Turner and Anderson on the edges. Their current guys Dale, Smith and Young can't even do that and they are 2 seniors and a junior. Just shows that Alabama isn't getting the front 7 players that they did when Kirby Smart was there. Quinnen Williams, Daron Payne and Rashaan Evans were their last 1st round DL and non-pass rusher LB and they last played in 2018 season, so they were Smart era recruits.

As for Jalen Carter, great players but cool it with the Ndamukong Suh comparisons. It makes as much sense as comparing every 1st round QB prospect to Dan Marino or Tom Brady.

• Options
    Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

He’ll be a top 10 rated DL his first season in the NFL barring a lower body injury, and I bet he’ll be in the top 3 of DL for sacks and pressures before the end of year 3.

There is nothing this dude hasn’t done at his position AND to live up to the expectation pressures put on him thru 13+ games this season is amazing: remember, every single NFL on air draft guru and NFL network analyst talked about him when Davis and Walker and Wyatt, all DL, were getting picked in round 1. They ALL states that Carter was even better than all of them and would be returning for 2022.

That is a tremendous amount of pressure on what is still a young man growing up in college football. How many times have we seen that and then the player has an average year following and everyone poopoos him because he did not live up to expectations? I have seen it dozens of times.

Carter is amazing and I could care less if Anderson is drafted before him. Whichever team drafts him in the top 6, which is going to happen, will be getting a future pro bowl defensive tackle/edge. And it’s all on tape so there is no denying his talent.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lmao...1st of all Tom Brady is not a great QB. He's a very good QB that has had the benefit of being on great teams.

2nd...if you ever watched Suh...which apparently you haven't...you would know that Carter and Suh's playing style are almost identical. Good comparison...but, I give Carter the edge. He explodes off the ball a little better than Suh.

3rd....Anderson is over rated. He IS a great LB (ala, Nakobe Dean), , However, BAMA has used him more as a down lineman, operating from just outside the tackle, to nose-guard position, using various techniques.

He most certainly is not eating up 2 or 3 defenders on every play, the way Carter and Davis (before him) did. You obviously haven't been watching him play. I've seen more "loafs out of him, this year, than ever before.

BAMA's defense, is a 3-4 gap-sound defense. That means, on most plays, Anderson isn't working to get to the QB...he's protecting his gap...be-it, the edge or the A or B gap. BAMA couldn't afford to use Him ,or anybody else, for that matter, the way they used him last year.

Their defense is not disciplined...therefore, they are not sound. If all of their defenders were talented & disciplined enough to maintain and control their gaps, it would be very difficult to move the ball on them. Kinda like UGA's Defense.

While, Will Anderson "can't do it all by himself", he can certainly provide some leadership and a lot more effort than I've seen him give, this year. It may be a "character thing", which is why Kirby didn't recruit him, in the first place.

I've seen Carter monster-up on every play since returning healthy. Very few "loafs". Physically and athletically, Carter and Anderson are comparable..."between the ears"(leadership, strain), however,...I give a big edge to Carter.

NFL Scouts will be looking at that, too. What the hell do Kiper and McShay actually know, about football...the game? Nothing. They talk to team insiders, to find out what they are looking for...only, a lot of those insiders are feeding them false information, hoping to influence other teams.

Statistics are irrelevant in finding that special player. They're just one of many tools in breaking down a player's performance. But, you probably wouldn't know that, so, I give you a pass. Lol

• Options

"What a hole will be left in UGA's defense when he leaves"

Don't worry, man. The Dawgs have 2 or 3 guys on hot standby to take his place...with a couple more on the way.

I put Carter on the same page as Marcus Stroud, etal.. Phenomenal football player. Love to watch that guy play. He just takes complete control of the line of scrimmage. Unbelievable, what he's able to do at 6'3"-300. And, I'm betting it's more like 6'2"-285. You know how they like to add a little height and weight in the ole "Program Roster". Lol

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Anyone else just stop reading after the Tom Brady remark?????

Wow.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This quote right here from Roman Harper says it all:

“When he’s healthy and he wants to play, he’s the most dominating lineman in the country.”

I truly hope that Carter "wants to play" in the Peach Bowl and (hopefully) the National Championship Game. If so, the Georgia D-Line will rule the day. And sorry @BigDawg61 , while I believe we have other players who can play that position, and perhaps play it well, we don't have anyone else who can completely dominate it like Carter can. We were blessed to have both him and Jordan Davis. What we have coming up behind them are very good players, but not generational players. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"I put Carter on the same page as Marcus Stroud, etal."

I'm thinking more of a Richard Seymour type myself as J. Carter is extremely explosive and strong with that first step, much like Seymour was.

I think that Marcus Stroud is a good comparison as well.....just think Jalen is more explosive....... and maybe not as heavy

Go Dawgs!

• Options

YEEESSS!!!!

Seymour. I couldn't remember his name, to save my life. Thanks.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

Just need max effort and availability from JCarter for 2 more games. I still see teams cutting him to try and get him out of the game. BIG money, recognition and benefits at stake to the CFBCG winner. Hopefully he can make it through the games.

JCarter will leave a huge hole in the UGA D line after he leaves. You don't replace probably the best DT at UGA in a generation every year. There is no one even close on the horizon. He doesn't have TWalker, DWyatt and JDavis this year like they had each other plus him last year. UGA won't have any of them next year. Stackhouse, Brinson, Walthour, Logue would all aid their draft stock by returning for another year.

Anyone who doesn't think Will Anderson's Job 1 on every passing down was rushing the passer and penetrating the backfield on EVERY down doesn't really understand football or how to use a DPOY. . To think that Nick Saban would use the best edge rusher (2xDPOY) in the country as a decoy on passing downs is laughable.

• Options
    rxmasterrxmaster Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think he is more Aaron Donald than Suh.

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 279 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think he is Jalen Carter. Enough said.

• Options

"Anyone who doesn't think Will Anderson's Job 1 on every passing down was rushing the passer and penetrating the backfield on EVERY down doesn't really understand football or how to use a DPOY. . To think that Nick Saban would use the best edge rusher (2xDPOY) in the country as a decoy on passing downs is laughable."

Personally...I don't have to "think it"...I know it. I watched him.

Go back and watch any of their games this year. It's been noted by more than just me. Paul Finebaum and a number of his guests have also noticed it. It's been speculated that Anderson is protecting himself for the draft. But, whatever the case, He IS loafing on a lot of plays.

One thing is for sure...he's not eating up double/triple teams any more than the other BAMA DL/LBs...that ARE making plays. Put down the man-crush and be objective. I thought you valued unbiased opinions. Lol

• Options
    edited December 2022

Will Anderson led the nation in QB pressures this season (and last). He led the the SEC in sacks this season (and the nation last season). I wonder what he could do if he was used as a passrusher? LOL

• Options

Lol...some Fans wield STATS like a child with a loaded weapon. They know they mean something. They're just not sure, what. Haha...it's all good, though. Maybe I can help.

Let me start by saying, I believe Anderson is absolutely one of the best defensive players in the Country. Just, not as good as ESPN wants you to believe. It's not the 1st time, ESPN & National Media tried to influence opinion. They need their "Heros", in order to have something to talk about. They very seldom get it right. See Treyvon Walker last year, Manti Teo in 2012 and Charles Woodson in 1997.

1st of all...ARK Sanders has better numbers than any of em, if that's your only criteria. Lol. Sanders is...

Tied for 3rd in the SEC with 103 tackles...2nd with 9.5 Sacks...Tied with 12 other players @ #24 with 5 passes defended. Anderson isn't even on the radar on the tackles or PD leaderboard.

Will's listed as a LB...but, he's being used as a down lineman most of the time. Considering that fact, he has been somewhat effective this year, but, not as dynamic as last year. And he's not drawing the double/triple teams he drew last year, despite what you've "heard". Last year he was used as a rover, which is why his "numbers" were so good.

People just assume he is, because of poor media coverage. They don't want to call out the fact, that they jumped the gun when they called him "the best defensive player in College Football"...for almost 2 full years. So, in true media fashion, they ignore it and support the narrative. Can't have pesky facts interfering with the narrative...dontcha know? Lol

Anderson took over the top Sack spot with 2 Sacks in their last game against the mighty AUB. He had 3.5 total Sacks in his previous 7 games, which included, ARK (.5), A&M (0), TENN (0), MSST (1), LSU (1), OLE MISS (1) & Austin Peay (0). Not a factor in the meat of their schedule.

Late game Sacks to spruce up the numbers for the Sportswriters and Fans like you, don't count in my book. Lol

• Options
    edited December 2022

Will Anderson winner of the '22 Bednarik Award was widely considered to be the winner in '21 as well. Anderson is also winner of the '21 and '22 Lombardi (top OL/DL/LB/TE) . Seems like a whole lot of people think he is pretty good. The best actually.

What does the NFL think of this player's ability? Top 2 NFL draft choice coming. The smart money is on WAnderson to be the #1 non QB selected in the NFL draft. He would be #1 overall except Houston needs a QB.

Last game sacks in the Iron Bowl? An SEC rivalry game? As opposed to 5 passing TD's vs UAB. Which stat's should we count and which one's don't we? Caught talking out of both sides of your mouth again. LOL

• Options

Lmao...you did catch the SECCG and CFP last year, right. Do you know what effect Anderson had on those games? I'll let you look it up, cause I know. You won't take it from me, though. And, I don't blame you. I do my own analysis, too.

Anderson was gifted that award, this year...precisely because of what he did, last year. That, and all the 400hz whining coming out of BAMA Country, about Anderson not making the Heisman finals list, in 2021.

I'm telling you...I watched him, and he did not put in work on every play. He loaded quite a bit and that's not becoming of excellence. And QB Pressures aren't even a real STAT. It's too subjective and the criteria varies from "game-to-game" and "Conference-to-Conference".

The reason I think it's BS, is personal. There are more deserving players out there, that aren't getting the recognition they deserve. Why?

Because the "brain thrusts"...yes I meant "thrusts", because the voters think they know everything, when they know very little...anyway, the "brain thrusts" are lazy. Most of them watch the teams they cover , along with their opponents...and no one else.

The "Voters" get their marching orders from ESPN. And, ESPN, hasn't changed their Will Anderson narrative, since the 2021 season came to an end.

They also, said this was Nick Saban's best team, ever. And, they would go undefeated all the way to the Natty. Does this feel like Saban's best team? Did it play like his best team?

I saw it in their A-Day game and some of their roster moves made me skeptical with regard to their "greatness". I didn't see it...whereas, UGA's 2nd string looked better than their starters, in the G-Day game...not to a man, but, overall.

Anderson wasn't even the best player on BAMA's defense, this year...but, he's the best in the Country? Please! You and ESPN and all the voters in America will never convince me that I didn't see, what I saw out of Anderson, in 2022. There are a few talking heads that saw it, as well, and said as much...but, they've been discouraged from talking it up.

I guess, what really gripes my a$$, is a deserving 2022 defender was cheated out of their just desserts, so that the media can make up for 2021 and maintain it's narrative. It's rediculous.

Just to be clear...none of UGA's front 7 deserved it either. Carter is by far the best down lineman in the Country, but, through no fault of his own, he didn't put in enough work to win it. He missed 3 games and a few partials....but, the work he DID put in, my God! Lol...I haven't seen a player in this Country, College or NFL, that can do what he can do. He will be the 1st defenser off the board, in the draft.

Mark my words, NFL Scouts saw the same thing I did. Watch Anderson slip to round 2 or 3. They don't pay much attention to ESPN anymore. They've been "wrong", far more often than they've been "right". He's gonna be another Clowney.