Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

NFL expert: Stetson Bennett ‘worth a shot,’ draws comparison to Buffalo Bills’ quarterback

SystemSystem Posts: 10,463 admin
edited December 2022 in Article commenting
imageNFL expert: Stetson Bennett ‘worth a shot,’ draws comparison to Buffalo Bills’ quarterback

ATHENS — Georgia has three projected first-round picks in the upcoming NFL draft, and while Stetson Bennett is not one of them, he could still get a shot.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 396 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Will Levis isn't that good. None of these guys are NFL good - it's just a down year. Some have the physicals, but not the mentals. Some have the mentals, but not the physicals.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stetson has that IT factor. He gets with the right team, who knows maybe he could have success. He has plenty of just sheer will power, most definitely plenty of mobility. Some NFL team ought to give him a shot see how he works out in practice. Hope your dreams continue to come true Stetson !!

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@jdatl3

Have you actually seen CJ Stroud play? He has the physicals (6'3", 220 lbs, can make all the throws) and the mentals (176 QB rating without his 3 best WRs from last season all of whom are or will be NFL starters, 187 QB rating last year with them).

You have seen Bryce Young play - SECCG against UGA's historically great defense remember? - and I defy you to claim that he lacks the physicals and mentals.

However, past those 2 you are correct. I don't think much of spread guys like Hooker, I am mystified by the fascination with Levis, and Richardson needed another year but is leaving early because the folks in Gainesville made him a convenient scapegoat for that program's problems. Bo Nix actually will be a good backup. The UCLA kid shouldn't be on there at all.

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yeah. I can totally see the falcons drafting levis.

As far as bryce young, What I noticed that "surprised" me at the end of the Natty, was that when he an SB4 met on the field, they were eye-to-eye. Are they actually the same size?

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@navydawg

Stetson Bennett cannot put a spiral on any ball that travels more than 30 (possibly 25) yards in the air, and that is whether the route is a vertical one (which requires less arm strength) or an intermediate one from the pocket to outside the hashmarks (more arm strength) or one across his body from one side of the field to the other while rolling out in the other direction (the most arm strength, and a play that Aaron Rodgers and Pat Mahomes lives on because it is practically impossible to defend). And that is with the almost ideal weather conditions that he has had in Athens and not the late fall and winter weather that he would face in the vast majority of NFL franchises. Meaning that even if he goes to Dallas or Miami, there would still be division road games in New York, Boston, D.C. etc.

There is no NFL system where he is an effective player, and he wouldn't be an effective player in most college systems. The system that Monken was running with the Browns in 2019 when Baker Mayfield was his QB? Bennett wouldn't last 2 games. And remember that Mayfield has a weak arm by NFL standards, which is why he is with his 3rd franchise in 6 months.

The folks who are comparing SB IV to Case Keenum are being generous to the UGA fans that they know will be reading the article. I saw Keenum play at Houston for Kevin Sumlin when Keenum was setting the NCAA career passing record. How did he set that record? By throwing for more than 5,600 yards in a single season twice: in 2009 and 2011, plus throwing for 5000 yards in 2008. (He was injured in 2009). Keenum had 19,200 yards and 155 TDs in his college career. You don't put up those numbers - regardless of the level of competition - without being able to throw the ball 30 yards downfield. And no, Keenum wasn't surrounded by great talent either, not even by Group of 5 program standards.

Another thing; Keenum is 6'1" and 215 lbs and not 5'11" and 190 lbs. like SB IV. More important: calling him a "career backup" isn't quite accurate. Keenum was the starting QB for the Vikings and Broncos, and actually went 11-3 with the Vikings, and won the infamous playoff game against the Saints and Drew Brees, going 25-40 for 318 yards - and actually outplayed Drew Brees! - in the process. That just shows why you shouldn't compare a guy who averaged 200 yards per game passing for his career (Bennett) to the NCAA career passing leader (Keenum). And you know who is #2 to Keenum? Timmy Chang, who played for June Jones' run-and-shoot at Hawai'i. Chang is more than 2000 yards behind Keenum.

Yes, Bennett is a great story. But that story is going to end in about a month when Bennett hoists up that national title trophy in January to cap off one of the greatest college football careers for a starting QB ever. And in spring practice, Monken will put in his Cleveland Browns offense for Carson Beck, who has the arm strength - a good bit stronger than Mayfield's in fact - to run it.

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 218 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    JTM22JTM22 Posts: 62 ✭✭✭ Junior

I would choose Jacob Eason and Aaron Murray over Stetson Bennett, no offense to SB, but if those two could not make it, I don’t think SB will make it. (Yes, I know Eason still in the league but he’s just bouncing around)

• Options
    CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

Makes you wonder why Monken didn't want to run the Browns offense with Beck this year. I guess he really likes a challenge. Next year is going to be fun

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They should make Stetson the last pick in the NFL draft - being Mr. Irrelevant would complete that chapter in his story.

I have no idea if Bennett can make it in the NFL, but for those who doubt his abilities as a college QB, I think they need to watch him play. All Bennett does is win and he's proven to be one hell of a big game QB.

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 396 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Ohio State is a simple RPO system. Stroud isn't making 3 reads. No one in those systems makes it in the pro's. Even Trevor Lawrence with generational gifts was terrible his first couple years. Stetson has the brains, and good arm talent. But he's not a super accurate passer.

• Options
    PanicscPanicsc Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman

Listen, we all love the kid, but he does not show the skills to be a successful NFL QB. Not even a backup, because essentially the backup skill level shouldn’t be a huge drop off of the starter goes down. Stetson has been very inaccurate on intermediate throws, and abysmal on deep balls. The majority of his yards are from short passes with a lot of YAC. Fans were screaming “heisman” and “he’s a winner” all year. He is a winner, but we are not winning solely because of Bennett. An example of winning because of a single player would be Bryce Young. He has practically carried that team. Yea Bryce and Stetson are just about the same height, but Bryce Young’s arm talent is light years ahead of Bennett. His football IQ is insane as well. Monken truly deserves a LOT of credit and I do too wonder if he really wanted Bennett at the starting spot and not Beck. We will get to see his full offense next year.

• Options
    BarkingDawgBarkingDawg Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Rookie Brock Purdy beat out Eason for backup QB job and looked good Sunday. Somewhat surprising after all the expectations around Eason.

• Options
    ChewDawgChewDawg Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

I would choose Stetson Bennett over those two any day....."Any Day!"

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

Does anyone know why Max Duggan finished 15th on the list? He was 2nd in the Heisman voting and way ahead of Stroud and Bennett so I assumed he was a great passer. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I liked Jake Fromm but SB can throw rings around Jake, plus he's mobile.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not at all sure Stetson plans to play or wants to play football after the next two games.

He dâmn sure wants to in win in the Peach Bowl. That's sufficient unto the day, meaning that day, as is current preparation and practice. One day at a time. One win at a time.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 475 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The experts will be baffled at the combine if Stetson not only is the same size or bigger that young, but faster and quicker in the drills.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Do you really think NFL Scouts, GM's and HC's, listen to the garbage that comes out of McShay and the other "Poser", known as Mel "The Piper" Kiper? Some (not all) NFL Teams work to a higher standard, than the ESPN clowns that focus entirely on "numbers" or statistics, cause that's all they understand. Lol.

There's a lot more that goes into it...otherwise, the likes of Johnny Unitas, Kurt Warner, Doug Flutie and Tom Brady would have never played an NFL down. When I was a kid, I was shocked to find out Johnny Unitas never won the Heisman. It was undoubtedly, because he was a product of Louisville and not OSU, UM or USC.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

One more thing....it really gripes my potatoes, that the Award named for a GA TECH Coach (John Heisman),...the guy that literally "invented the forward pass",...is being funneled up North, to those Yankee Teams, by ESPN and the AP....and have been, for going on "a Century".

Rant over. LOL

Go git em Big Red. Run another one.