Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Every Georgia football fan had the same reaction after Michigan wins Joe Moore Award

SystemSystem Posts: 10,528 admin
edited December 2022 in Article commenting
imageEvery Georgia football fan had the same reaction after Michigan wins Joe Moore Award

Georgia did not win the Joe Moore Award, given annually to the nation’s top offensive line. The Bulldogs were one of two finalists for the award this season after Georgia finished in the top 10 in both points per game and yards per play.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Inability to gain a yard in goal line situations has a lot to do with it.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

AntiRatPoison™

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

Ok. But do you not think that would have been a lot easier to do with Michigan's schedule? After that Orange Bowl, it's hard not to see this as a farce. But in the end it doesn't matter. Bigger things await.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Also check the ypc for Michigan's RBs - 6.0 and 7.5 - to the ypc for UGA's backs ... no one over 5.2. Further, I have no idea why Michigan's getting destroyed by UGA's historic front 7 in 2021 means that they didn't deserve the Joe Moore Award. Did UGA's OL have to block 5 future first round picks (Wyatt, Davis, Walker, Walker, Carter) plus Dean, Smith, Beal and Tindall? Anyone think that they would have done any better than Michigan did if they would have?

I think that a lot of people believe that because UGA's DL was better than Michigan's OL, and because UGA's OL was better than Michigan's DL, that UGA's OL was better than Michigan's OL. The transitive property ... does not work like that. It would be like claiming that Texas A&M was better than UGA last year because Alabama beat UGA in the SECCG and A&M beat Bama. Instead, it is fair to say that UGA only played 1 dominant DL in 2021. That was Clemson, and lest we forget UGA's offense only scored 3 points in that game. Michigan in particular only had their DEs last year Hutchison and Ojabo. This year more of the same: they have a good DE - though not as good as Hutchison - and a DT who MIGHT go in the 2nd round (more likely 3rd) and no 1st round LBs. They are very well coached, but were UGA's OL to push them around, it wouldn't be a huge accomplishment.

• Options
    DJG76DJG76 Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

Awards, are year to year...Championships, last a lifetime....As Kirby always stresses....show the world you are the best on the field.

• Options
    Alexander_the_LateAlexander_the_Late Posts: 42 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    David1David1 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Teams win championships. Individuals or groups win awards. Go Dawgs!!

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

to go along with this teams motto:

nobody cares!

talk with your helmets!

go dawgs

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    rxmasterrxmaster Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

Agree that transitive property can't be used, but are you seriously going to say that Michigan had the best O-Line last year? They were demolished by UGA. Not that they were up for it, but Bama's O-Line held their own across two games against Georgia much better than Michigan did. Michigan also did have 2 first rounders on their defense last year, and another mid second round pick on the other defensive end. Their defense wasn't exactly chopped liver...they had talent.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Should add a little extra incentive for the Georgia offensive line especially if we are fortunate enough to get to play them in the finals. However, Michigan is not of concern to me right now. We have one game, one job, one way. The one game is with OSU, the one job is to beat them first, the one way is the only way to have the opportunity to repeat.

Maybe they are worthy of the award, I'd much rather go 15-0 with back to back NC award! Go Dawgs!

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You make some great points. How many games did the offensive mindset go into run the clock out? So the metric of ypc can be misleading.

I’d say the biggest knock on UGA ‘s line was those goal line issues, though I still believe it counts the same in point whether you run it in or pass to your 7’ tight end.

go dawgs!

leave no doubt!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hope we see UGA/MI in the championship.

Don't forget MI racked up their "impressive" ypc vs the likes of football powerhouses CO St, UConn and Hawaii.

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All I care about is another national championship! Stay focused and stay hungry, my Dawg warriors! That’s all that matters! And to the Dawg nation, have the Benz rocking on the night of December 31! Let’s go!

GO DAWGS!

BEAT OHIO STATE!

• Options
    brvhrtbrvhrt Posts: 329 ✭✭✭ Junior

One of the annual separators of SEC FB and everyone else is the DL. Every year talking heads discuss the fact that defensive lines across the league are littered with future NFL PLAYERS—not just talent. The same cannot be said about the BIG10. So there you go.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Your stats are flat-out wrong, @thadec. First of all, UGA averaged 5.5 yards per run, while Michigan averaged 5.6. In other words, very close.

The Spartans' very talented two main RBs did averaged 5.9 and 7.2 respectively. So just tells us that the Michigan OL didn't do so well helping out backs who weren't Heisman candidates.

Your claim that none of UGA's backs got averaged more than 5.2 yards is demonstrably false on its face: Milton is averaging 7.4 and Edwards 5.4.

Yes, UGA did on a few occasions have a tough time cracking the goal line against fired-up SEC defenses. But when you get right down to it, Georgia's OL loosed rushers for 37 TDs versus Michigan's 38.

If the rushing performance between the two DL's was close (despite the fact that UGA's line faced tougher defenses), UGA's pass protection was better by any metric. Of the two mobile QBs, Georgia's attempted to pass about 100 more times. Still, UGA has allowed only 0.54 sacks for 55 yards total while Michigan allowed 1.00 per game for 107 yards total.

TFL? The Georgia OL allowed 3.62 per game vs. 4.31 for the Sparts.

And one can't stress enough the differences between the defenses that these two lines were going against. I don't know of a source that isolates defensive strength of schedule, so overall strength of schedule will have to do. Georgia's 21st out of 130 teams. Michigan's? 52nd.

As for @Spdawg's transitive theory or whatever (about Michigan having to face Georgia's great defense last year) that's parsing things a bit too finely. Georgia's DL, which was the best in the country, crushed Michigan's OL, which was supposed to be the best. Five teams rolled for more rushing yards against that Georgia defense than Michigan did. And Michigan gave up 4 sacks and 7 TFLs! Meanwhile, Georgia's OL gave up just two TFLs (zero sacks) against a not so shabby front seven led by Aidan Richardson, and helped Georgia rushers roll for 190 yards.

There are a lot of human factors that must play into an award like this -- even more than in individual awards. It's difficult to follow what five offensive linemen are doing when you're looking at tape for dozens of teams, rather than focusing on one team all season with a live, wide, stadium view. So I'm sure the judges -- expert as they are in all things OL -- lean on their own preconceptions and also on who's making All-America teams -- which in the case of OLs is also based on a lot of preconceptions in their own right. But the data clearly favors the dogs, as do the results from last year ... which makes the snub all the more disappointing.

I for one think there's a credible (albeit wrong) case for Mayer making one of the first-team All-American teams. But this Joe Moore Award is a travesty. No other way to cut it.

So I feel bad for UGA's incredible 2022 OL. But for Georgia fans -- and for Coach Smart -- this is probably a good thing. As @JimWallace artfully put it "anti-rat-poison." Indeed it is.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 367 ✭✭✭ Junior

Unfortunately, the Kentucky game sealed our fate with the Joe Moore award. Not being able to punch it in from the 1 yd line. Although I would say the play calling could have been better. But still….

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Actually two things were wrong. I did not say anything about Michigan. Just that the short yardage failures were a prime reason that they did not win

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Whoops. My bad, @Spdawg. I thought you had written that. But that was also @thadec, I guess.

The larger point being that anybody who watched the semifinal last year could plainly see which was the better line. It was obvious. And one didn't need the transitive principle to figure that out.

But my apologies. I see looking down the thread that you hadn't made the argument. And I agree with you that the occasional difficulties getting into the end zone were probably an easy thing the committee could point to as a weakness.