Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Every Georgia football fan had the same reaction after Michigan wins Joe Moore Award

Comments

• CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 788 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Your stats are flat-out wrong, @thadec. First of all, UGA averaged 5.5 yards per run, while Michigan averaged 5.6. In other words, very close.

The Spartans' very talented two main RBs did averaged 5.9 and 7.2 respectively. So just tells us that the Michigan OL didn't do so well helping out backs who weren't Heisman candidates.

Your claim that none of UGA's backs got averaged more than 5.2 yards is demonstrably false on its face: Milton is averaging 7.4 and Edwards 5.4.

Yes, UGA did on a few occasions have a tough time cracking the goal line against fired-up SEC defenses. But when you get right down to it, Georgia's OL loosed rushers for 37 TDs versus Michigan's 38.

If the rushing performance between the two DL's was close (despite the fact that UGA's line faced tougher defenses), UGA's pass protection was better by any metric. Of the two mobile QBs, Georgia's attempted to pass about 100 more times. Still, UGA has allowed only 0.54 sacks for 55 yards total while Michigan allowed 1.00 per game for 107 yards total.

TFL? The Georgia OL allowed 3.62 per game vs. 4.31 for the Sparts.

And one can't stress enough the differences between the defenses that these two lines were going against. I don't know of a source that isolates defensive strength of schedule, so overall strength of schedule will have to do. Georgia's 21st out of 130 teams. Michigan's? 52nd.

As for @Spdawg's transitive theory or whatever (about Michigan having to face Georgia's great defense last year) that's parsing things a bit too finely. Georgia's DL, which was the best in the country, crushed Michigan's OL, which was supposed to be the best. Five teams rolled for more rushing yards against that Georgia defense than Michigan did. And Michigan gave up 4 sacks and 7 TFLs! Meanwhile, Georgia's OL gave up just two TFLs (zero sacks) against a not so shabby front seven led by Aidan Richardson, and helped Georgia rushers roll for 190 yards.

There are a lot of human factors that must play into an award like this -- even more than in individual awards. It's difficult to follow what five offensive linemen are doing when you're looking at tape for dozens of teams, rather than focusing on one team all season with a live, wide, stadium view. So I'm sure the judges -- expert as they are in all things OL -- lean on their own preconceptions and also on who's making All-America teams -- which in the case of OLs is also based on a lot of preconceptions in their own right. But the data clearly favors the dogs, as do the results from last year ... which makes the snub all the more disappointing.

I for one think there's a credible (albeit wrong) case for Mayer making one of the first-team All-American teams. But this Joe Moore Award is a travesty. No other way to cut it.

So I feel bad for UGA's incredible 2022 OL. But for Georgia fans -- and for Coach Smart -- this is probably a good thing. As @JimWallace artfully put it "anti-rat-poison." Indeed it is.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 374 ✭✭✭ Junior

Unfortunately, the Kentucky game sealed our fate with the Joe Moore award. Not being able to punch it in from the 1 yd line. Although I would say the play calling could have been better. But still….

• SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 362 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Actually two things were wrong. I did not say anything about Michigan. Just that the short yardage failures were a prime reason that they did not win

• CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 788 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Whoops. My bad, @Spdawg. I thought you had written that. But that was also @thadec, I guess.

The larger point being that anybody who watched the semifinal last year could plainly see which was the better line. It was obvious. And one didn't need the transitive principle to figure that out.

But my apologies. I see looking down the thread that you hadn't made the argument. And I agree with you that the occasional difficulties getting into the end zone were probably an easy thing the committee could point to as a weakness.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

Yep. Thanks for articulating what I was too lazy to re: the direct comparison.

• Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Welp...round 2 will be even worse

• CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 135 ✭✭✭ Junior

If we could have punched it in from the goal line with any regularity Stets would have finished the year with 10 TD passes

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They had to block em every freakin' day, in practice. And, they lived, so, they must've been pretty darned good, dontcha think. Lol

UGA needs to develop it's own "National" Excellence Award. Call it the Erk Russel Junkyard Dawg Award, given to the nastiest defender in College Football. Pretend to take other School's players into consideration, then give it to a UGA Player every other year. That's how the Mackey, Burlesworth and Joe Moore Award are given.

Speaking of BS Award presentations...there's no way in hell's bathroom, that Will Anderson deserved the awards he got this year. I watched him, and he wasn't nearly as effective this year as he was last year.

So...why did they give em to him? Nick Saban? Who knows. That's why players should not have any of these Awards as a goal. For the most part, they really mean, nothing and they rarely go to the deserving player.

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Joe Moore Award committee voted Michigan the best O-line in 2021 over Georgia and every other O-line.

It's easy to look good against a B1G schedule, especially when Ohio St. is trending down. Then that same Joe Moore award winning O-line got completely dominated by their first good OOC D-line they faced.

The very same Joe Moore Award committee turned around and voted Michigan as the winners again the very next year, despite how that same O-line got exposed against the Dawgs D-line.

Georgia has no control over how any committee decides to vote. Just like last season, Georgia does control the outcome on the field. Georgia proved the Joe Moore Award committee wrong last year. Looks like Georgia will have to prove them wrong again.

This is just more anti rat poison for these Dawgs.

• BeachwagonBeachwagon Posts: 194 ✭✭✭ Junior

We should thank Joe Moore's board for providing us with wonderful bulletin board material in advance of the Michigan Beatdown version 2.0.

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

THE (otherwise Tosu, please) is a formidable opponent.

Still, the Joe Moore pickers deserve our thanks for their generous helping of AntiRatPoison™.

Bless their hearts!

• okcdawgokcdawg Posts: 17 ✭ Freshman

We had too many failures to gain 1 yard in the red zone in high profile games. I think those nationally televised frustrations stuck in the voters minds. Figure out how to get a yard when we need it and we'll win this award next year and beyond.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You need to go back and watch those 1 yrd challenges. In games against Oregon, SC, UT and a couple others...Monkin passed the ball to Washington, Bowers or a RB into the endzone. Or they ran a running play off the edge...or a wheel route or skinny post over the middle or counter.

They didn't do any of that stuff in the red zone or in 3rd & 1, 4th & 1 situations against teams that weren't very competitive. Kirby had to create competitive situations, for his team to grow.

Bottom line, is that those so-called short yardage problems were not due to execution, so much as play-calling. On purpose.

• RS289RS289 Posts: 19 ✭ Freshman

The only I can say is that Michigan played two teams in the top 25 one of those is questionable about being there. The rest of their schedule seemed pretty easy to me. If Vanderbilt played their schedule they would win alot of those games.