Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Closer look: Why Georgia OL improvement wasn’t enough to win Joe Moore Award

2»

Comments

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Award I want Most to see and I’m sure Dawgs fans, the players and the coaching staff is Kirby Smart holding up Another National Title Trophy !!! I’m confident our O line guys will be plenty happy with that !! Go Dawgs !! GATA !!!

• Options
    CDDawgsCDDawgs Posts: 56 ✭✭✭ Junior

Nothing to see here... Just more of Mike's efforts to find new ways to passively attack UGA football.

• Options
    brvhrtbrvhrt Posts: 329 ✭✭✭ Junior

I admittedly haven't read any of the other posts, so there may be some overlap.

That said, this has to be some sort a joke. UGA, of course along with every other team in the SEC, has to play MUCH tougher D-Lines each and every week. Every coach or analyst worth his salt will tell you that's the main differentiator between the SEC and other leagues. The NFL is littered with former SEC DL, so it's pretty much indisputable.

I'm sure this is just an orchestrated effort to steer clear of any perception of SEC bias...which only serves to cheapen the award(s).

Level of competition matters, except, of course, when it comes to awards.

• Options
    Alexander_the_LateAlexander_the_Late Posts: 42 ✭✭✭ Junior

Every team has fans who do what's called "snowflaking".

"OMG! There was an award given, and someone or ones on my team made it as finalists but weren't handed the award?!! I'm coming to see you, Elizabeth! This is the big one! It's not right! We should win everything, all the time. If we don't, someone cheated or something to steal it from us. We deserve everything good! We're the best at everything, always! If the result isn't what I wanted, then I don't accept it!"

Immaturity cranked up to eleven.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I appreciate that @MikeGriffith does a decent job in explaining the thinking behind Michigan winning the award. But I find it unconvincing for several reasons:

• Georgia's short passes and Bennett's mobility may have contributed to Georgia's OL giving up half as many sacks as Michigan did. But that doesn't explain why Georgia gave up the fourth fewest tackles for loss per game while Michigan came in 21st by that metric. Those TFL number essentially negate the argument that it was Georgia's passing game that led to the fewer sacks because, whatever the type of play, defenders were spending less time in our backfield.
    • The rushing stats are exceedingly close despite the fact that Georgia faced the 21st toughest schedule in the country versus Michigan's 52nd toughest. The tougher schedule more than explains the 0.11 yards per rush difference between Michigan and Georgia, and Michigan's more frequent runs is the reason the Spartans had more yards per gaem.
    • It would be difficult to run these awards without some bias from personal connections. But, through Mike's reporting, we get a better idea of how that bias might have helped Michigan in this close vote. The cmmittee member whom Mike interviewed -- one of the few committee members with an SEC pedigree -- was a teammate of Harbaugh's, which could very well trump the fact that he played for one of Georgia's rival.

Each of these factors strengthens the case for Georgia having won the award. We was robbe, I tell ya; we was robbed!

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm sorry but as a dawg fan, I was disappointed at times this season when the OL couldn't seem to get push for our RBs during crucial moments in a game. For that reason, I get why they were not considered the best OL line in the country.

• Options
    PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We get an instant read on the committee's work on NYE. The only DL both OLs blocked will be Ohio State. The Dawg OL has some extra motivation for the Peach, even though they don't need it, I'm sure.

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We whupped their Joe Moore award winning O-line last year and, God willing, we’ll get a chance to do it again!

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Every team has fans who do what's called "snowflaking.'"

I agree. But this is not that.

I could see the argument for Mayer making first-squad on one of the All-American teams. I thought Stetson should at best have finished fifth in the Heisman. I didn't think Broderick Jones and Sedrick Van Pram should have made first-team SEC (even though I think both deserved second). I even thought it was a little weird that McClendon did make first-team SEC and that Nazir Stackhouse made second team SEC (especially when Dumas-Johnson didn't make any all-SEC teams). And while I thought Kirby's achievements this year were nothing short of spectacular, I can see and accept why they gave the SEC award to Heupel.

But there's a reason there's so much of a reaction against this particular award. The Michigan OL's performance in last year's semifinal can be rationalized as much as anyone wants, but it was downright obvious to those watching which OL was better in that game. The difference was cringeworthy. And this year's Michigan line lost a lot of talent from last year's, while UGA either upgraded talent or gained experience in every position.

Yes, this year's UGA OL gave us several failed pushes inside the 10-yard-line (to @truthteller 's valid point). Nobody's perfect. But I also think our OL improved in that area in the second half of the season.-- with a lot more touchdowns and fewer FGs. BTW, UGA had more red zone rushing TDs this year than Michigan (30 v 29).

Most importantly, the overall data don't lie: Against a significantly tougher schedule (and despite Michigan's all-American running back), by the numbers Georgia's rushing game was close to even with Michigan's, and its pass protection was markedly superior.

• Options
    JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 367 ✭✭✭ Junior

In my opinion, the Kentucky game cost GA the Joe Moore award. Getting stuffed at the goal line on 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 were killers. I have to say that the play calling could have been better, but still, a Joe Moore award winner doesn't let that happen. Also it gave momentum to KY to drive 99 yards for their only TD of the game.

Also against KY, the Dawgs were stopped on running plays on 3rd down at least 3 other times (punts) and only scored 1 touchdown on 3 drives inside the 10 yd line, kicking 3 first-half field goals (stopped at the 6, 10 and 20). The final score of 16-6 also gave the general impression of a lack-luster performance by the whole team.

It was a cold and windy night, a win is a win, it was the end of a tough run of conference games, blah, blah, blah. But the timing of this game was late in the season and the Dawgs were already being mentioned as an award finalist, so a lot of people were paying attention. This was probably the game that lost the award for them.