Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirk Herbstreit identifies Kirby Smart’s winning edge as Georgia football coach

SystemSystem Posts: 10,479 admin
edited December 2022 in Article commenting
imageKirk Herbstreit identifies Kirby Smart’s winning edge as Georgia football coach

ATHENS — Kirby Smart has several strengths as a head coach, but Kirk Herbstreit hit on the key one during a Saturday telecast.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

OMG, Herb Kirbstreak is right. He's like a broken clock.

Actually I'd like him if he weren't almost always in the tank for his old school.

Well, maybe not because I can't forget his LSU lobbying efforts and related hypocrisy.

He is right here though. Kirby achieves buy-in. I'm not sure that's by magic. Kirby tells everyone considering playing for Georgia the truth about the deal at UGA, and he tries to only sign players he believes have the character and commitment needed to succeed as a Dawg. He also "allows to leave via the portal" players he might not want around anymore.

(No, I'm not saying everyone who leaves has been invited to leave, but many have been.)

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

This is what happens when the standard is high! Only the best want to play for the best! Kirby demands every player's best or they don't play - simple as that. These players will go through a wall for their coach and that is how championships come about! Dec. 31 can't come soon enough! Dawgs by at least 14! GO DAWGS!

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

“He’s figured out a way to get through to them.”

For some players, it started way back in football camp as early teens. For others, it happened during the recruiting process. But for all of them, at some point, they become convinced that CKS is sincerely and completely invested in them as a player and as a young man. His success for “getting through to them” has a whole lot to do with the level of trust that these players have in him, and so they are open to it. When a coach demonstrates that kind of sincerity, he earns the respect of his players. I don’t think it’s a case of just “figuring it out”, I think it’s more about who he is and who they are.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Herbstreit's not the one that bothers me...it's some of the former Dawgs, that just can't seem to get on board.

I think David Pollack and Matt Stinchcolm, may just be, jealous of Smart. A guy that played a couple years before Pollack and Stinch...Kirby Smart, is now the best Coach in the Country and has taken the Dawgs to "The Promised Land". They can't seem to stand it. Lol

I believe, they think they're being loyal to Mark Richt by NOT hyping the Dawgs or any of their players. They are never the first ones to hype...they wait for the likes of Herbstreit or Desmond Howard to break that ice. Then they offer an absolutely bogus and subdued take on their former team, unlike all the other Homer's on ESPN.

Either Pollack doesn't know what he's talking about...or he was intentionally downplaying UGA's offensive capabilities (@ Smart's request???) in his latest interview.

How could going from over 38 pts/game in 2021...to over 39 pts/game in 2022, be considered "streaky". Lol...what Monkin has done over the last 2 yrs is the essence of consistency. 27 wins and 1 loss in 2 years...and the Dawgs Offense is "streaky"...according to Pollack...but, not Herbstreit. Lol

Streaky??? LMAO...Only Pollack! Ya want streaky? Look at the other teams in the CFP, including OSU...And, Pollack thinks UGA stands out as being (streaky). Maybe he doesn't know what the word means...or he's trying to create interest for the UGA vs OSU game. Lol

• Options

I think you're right.

Kirby recruits character and has character himself. It ain't fake on any level.

Kirby has figured out the formula for winning. Lots of coaches at all levels have figured it out, but few are willing to do what it takes. Kirby is an exception. The players follow his lead or they leave for Florida.

Interesting take.

Somebody is DV'ing most comments in this thread. Makes me wonder if it's a troll from Tosu or David Pollack.

Get over yourself, Mr. DV.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options

Lol..."DV'ing"...yeah, I saw that. I don't get the point of all that "voting" stuff, anyway.

If I have something to say...I say it...which, I did. I don't hide in the shadows, like a coward...and, cast some meaningless vote. Lol...I've wasted all the time I'm going to, talking about this juvenile voting business.

Git er done, Big Red G!

• Options

I sometimes up vote posts I don't agree with because the poster so well expressed their point of view.

On rare occasions I might DV a post which makes no sense, or is cruel or inappropriate on the face of it, but generally I'm like you and say what I think.

Usually I ignore and forgive posts which read like they were written in a liquid induced blackout.

Up votes are public. That's fine with me. Down votes are private which makes zero sense and encourages cowardly behavior in my view.

Mostly I like the conversation and find most people who hang here to be informed and true fans of our Dawgs. I learn stuff and increase my understanding of the game.

Kirby & Company are no doubt working hard. I feel sure our team leaders and the entire locker room want what we want which is a victory in the only game that counts.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Sometimes somebody will have already written something I wanted to write here. When that happens, I upvote so as to not be redundant. Also, it's not a bad thing to "validate" comments you agree with.

Downvotes are really pretty rare in dawgnation comments.

• Options
    CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

BigDawg61

When our Heisman finalist QB doesn't throw a TD pass in 4 of 13 games that could be considered streaky. When Stets only had something like 26 yards against Auburn and 23 yards against Tech in the first half that could be considered streaky. When our 5 star O- line can't get a push at the goal line that could be considered streaky. Too many "grown men" getting their panties in a **** if someone has an honest critique about the Dawgs. Sorry not all former players are blind homers like you

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

You’re just factually off-base and ranting aimlessly. Our offense was definitively streaky this year. Still much more than adequate; but by definition of the word, they were streaky. We had good games then really bad games. Then had games with one piss poor half, followed by one lights out half. Stetson, as much as I love him, had a real tough run in the early middle of the season that was scary and reminiscent of last years version. Now he did what great players did and rose to the occasion when we needed him most but our offense was brutally inconsistent at times.

Furthermore, I’ve never heard a soul complain about Stinch; and Pollack picked his dawgs to win it all last year in the preseason.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion; but it seems you expect blind loyalty and these guys are just trying to be objective and fair as to maintain their employment. You really can’t fault them for that…. Unless you want to be unreasonable.

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

We are in the process of watching the development of the best college football coach ever. He's not quite there yet but he will be in less than 7 years. Go Kirby and GO DAWGS!!!!

• Options

I've never seen anybody batch about a "rant" before...then go on a rant to support their position...GOOD JOB!

There's a few facts for you to chew on below, with your fellow critic, @CClayC88 . Lmao

I didn't hear anybody calling Will Anderson and the BAMA defense streaky this year, and, that's exactly what they were. Or, maybe it was leaky. Lol

Will Anderson had 2 sacks in the final game to take the SEC sack lead, with 10 sacks....however, he only had 3 sacks in his previous 7 games, combined. I knew that, because I watched them very close this year. Closer than usual, anyway.

I didn't see any of the so-called experts, such as Pollack or Herbstreit calling him or them, out for their loafing on plays and lack of execution. Paul Finebaum and, a few of his Guests and BAMA "Callers", have commented on it.

ESPN's Bill Connelly said of UGA's offense..."UGA's biggest issue this year has been attention span. There have been a couple of glitches there, but, when they have to play well, they're pretty much perfect." "UGA's offense has been super-creative and interesting to me." "UGA is an immensely well rounded team, moreso, than last year."

Yet, UGA's offense is streaky, cause Kirby Smart decided not to blow everybody off the field, when he could??? That's not an honest and true appraisal, IMO. Especially when you ignore the obvious...right under your nose.

If ANYBODY had done a deep dive on BAMA this year, there's no way Will Anderson wins those Awards. In fact, a couple of them, would've gone to a UGA Player.

It's the "unequal & biased" opinion from people that should know better, that bothers me most. Because, it seems deliberate.

Based on 55 years of observation and playing the game...my instincts have served me well...and, my instincts tell me, UGA could've blown every team they played, "Off The Field", if they had wanted to. Kirby did not want to. He needed a few close games, to do a little work and squelch the Hype machine at the same time.

He knew it and the players knew it. What keeps coming back to me, is the interview with Kirby after the Mizzou game. He seemed relaxed and undisturbed by the score, as if he expected it. I was never worried during that game, or any other, that UGA couldn't put enough points on the board, to win.

People seem to forget, it was the Dawgs defense that allowed a feckless Mizzou team to put 22 pts on the board and keep the game close....Not a "streaky offense", who DID put up 26 points, which is only 2 TDs less than their season average.

FYI...in the MIZZOU game, UGA scored two 4th qtr TDs, to win the game. On a Milton "1 yd TD" and an Edwards "1 yd TD".

NO PASSES IN THE RED ZONE! Get it? 4th & 2 at the MIZZOU 4 yd line and they give the ball to K-Mac for a 3 yd 1st down run. Monkin and Smart used every means available, to put their team in 3rd & 1, 4th & 1 and 1st & goal situations. They won some and lost some...but, what they accomplished is on film, to study, learn from and get better...and, they obviously have improved. Hmmm, maybe Kirby knows what the hell He's doing, after all, huh?

It appeared to most fans and "so-called experts", that UGA was struggling; however, nobody was paying any attention to the plays being called. It was not the same menu of plays normally used against the UT's, Oregon and LSUs.

It was a modest set of plays designed to involve physicality in close quarters. There was a few passes mixed in, but, not the ones they use most successfully or to their play makers...unless they needed a play to keep a drive going.

Bottom line is...while fans were sweating and media was bloviating...Kirby and Monkin were getting their team ready for the CFP and Greatness...not the STATS columns. Lol

Mission accomplished, IMO. I don't think there's a player on UGA's bench that hasn't seen gametime and gained valuable experience throughout the season. And, the offensive line is one of the best I've ever seen...at UGA.

Homer that, ****. Lol.

You got some facts to support your position...I'll listen. Otherwise, your infantile whining, is not required, nor desired. Lol

• Options
    edited December 2022

You’re funny, @bigdawg61.

How about this for a rant lol. You got 5 downvotes to your rant and I got 3 upvotes to my succinct response to your aimless and off base critique of former dawgs now in the media space.

I can live with leaving it at that and never even reading the novel you wrote below lmao.

• Options

@BigDawg61 i know I said I wouldn’t read them; but I did skim your remarks below and all your comments in this thread. It’s funny to me you position yourself and a man of moral superiority who will “say what’s on his mind”, yet when your ideas/opinions are challenged you resort to bashing someone else/calling them names. Never once did I call you a **** or other derogatory terms, I simply challenged your points. That you feel the need to stoop to this level embarrasses me for you. Particularly after you’ve admitted you’ve been on the earth for at least 5+ decades!

You and I are done here and I’ll avoid your foolish antics going forward.

At least we can both still agree on one thing…. Go dawgs.

• Options

Good job...Lol...gave me a chance to add a couple of Down Votes to your tally. Smart!

• Options

Clear indication of your childishness. Coming from the 55+ grown “man” who said just yesterday he didn’t get the downvoting stuff. You continue to embarrass yourself. I just make it easier for you.

• Options

I was just kidding around with you. Maybe my sense of humor doesn't come shining through, sometimes.

"You’re just factually off-base and ranting aimlessly.".....

That was your first shot fired at me, in this thread.

It implies irrational and illogical behavior, IMO. So, when I read that, it turned me the wrong way, and I never finished reading the post. Instead, I fired back. That WAS irrational, and for that, I apologize.

I went back and read your posts, too. I don't completely disagree with regard to the boys keeping their job...but, that doesn't seem to effect FLA, LSU, BAMA or OSU Alumni on ESPN from "Homering up". Lol

I think we both learned a lesson here. I'll never start a post out again, the way you did...and, I have. It automatically shuts the reader down...and, some people don't have a sense of humor.

BTW, I didn't call you anything derogatory. That was not the intent, anymore than I think it was yours, to call me an irrational i.d.i.o.t...which is how I took it. What I said, was a popular youthful texting euphemism, of endearment. Lol