Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

An early projection of Georgia football’s 2023 offensive depth chart

SystemSystem Posts: 10,482 admin
edited January 2023 in Article commenting
imageAn early projection of Georgia football’s 2023 offensive depth chart

With the transfer portal window closed and the deadline passed for 2023 NFL Draft entrants, we have a pretty good idea of what Georgia’s roster will look like for the 2023 season.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BigTenEatsFartsBigTenEatsFarts Posts: 147 ✭✭✭ Junior

I really thought Micah morris would be one to pop this year. Maybe he’ll have a good spring. Personally I would rather see moms move to left tackle and start earnest at right rather than having an unexperienced blindside protector with a brand new QB

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Here's how I see the OL shaking out. The big money position on the OL in the NFL is LT. LT's are paid more than most other positions.

I see Mim's requesting and being granted a shot at playing LT. IF he can play LT he can move up in the draft and make a lot more money. He deserves a shot for being UGA's best OL and for coming back. Greene as a 1st yr starter needs to try RT first.

All that being said, Ratledge is your RT. He has more experience, is built more like an OT, his game is more finesse than power (T vs G) and he was a 5* OT coming out of HS. His pro position is OT. This is the year to prepare him for that. No slight to Greene. The last 2 seasons have proven that UGA needs to have and play 3 OT. Developing Greene to start next year (a la Salyer, BJones, Mims) is critical.

As much as OG and C looks great the depth is questionable. Running out of 5* and high 4* players (until class of '24). 3* Jared Wilson is about the only reserve player that has played. When the reserves have played (outside of Mims and Willock -RIP) they have not played well. The younger guys need a big step up (Morris, Freeling) to meet the UGA OL standards. The room needs to be replenished with higher ranked players.

SVPG coming back is a game changer. Gives Wilson another season to learn the position and get better. W/o SVPG back this season it could've been really bad for the UGA OL especially if Ratledge moves to RT.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What we're seeing is the outcome of Kirby's system. As it has matured it has looked more and more formidable.

Recruitment. Depth. Development. Athleticism. Speed. Size. Length. Versatility. Character. Culture. Work ethic. Classroom smarts. Football IQ. Team first mentality. Coachable. Cooperative as a team player so a fully functional team can be built and fielded. Everybody loves football and everybody loves the University of Georgia.

Fully buy in if you want to play. Fully buy in if you want to stay.

You name it, Kirby's brought it.

You know how he says we're not practicing to beat one team, we're practicing to beat every team...

In the same vein, he didn't build this to win one national championship...

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A couple of the freshmen may creep up the depth chart in the spring -- specifically Freeling.

I would say the same about Duce Robinson if he joins us, except for the fact that I guess he won't be an early enrollee. Still his talent, size and physical maturity, making grooming him quickly for a sort of cross between Washington and Bowers feasible.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Look for Roderick Robinson to make a splash and hit the ground running. No pun intended. He's 6'2"220 (that's bigger than Hershel was) with the ability to take it to the house without slowing down. He actually seems to have another gear he can kick it into to put distance between himself and those trying to catch him. He's not just a one cut guy either. He can move laterally better than a Kendall Milton. As a matter of fact, after watching his tape I thought he was a Dajon Edwards sizewise, just in the way he runs with a low center of gravity. Couldn't believe how big he is after looking at his bio.

• Options
    SnakeScott13SnakeScott13 Posts: 91 ✭✭✭ Junior

Excited to see this team in action . The quarterbacks could get interesting.

• Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 348 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The defense also looks pretty stacked, so 2023 is shaping up to be pretty spectacular if we can stay healthy and hungry.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

I'd love to see us use Carson and Brock as both are so talented and have different skill sets. I loved the way Carson showed some maneuverability the times he was flushed from the pocket and Brock has an arm. Confusing defenses would only take a bit of refinement and practice. Interested in hearing what others think. Primarily, I want both to feel like contributors while elevating Gunner to backup.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@97GradyDawg

The 2 TE thing works when the TEs are different: when one is a big blocker (who is a threat to get upfield and catch) like Washington and the other is a great intermediate and vertical pass catcher like Bowers. Using 2 Washington's doesn't work because it takes a playmaker in the receiving game off the field while not helping the blocking much (redundant). Similarly, using both 2 Bowers compromises the blocking while putting another pass catching TE on the field who isn't as effective in that job as an actual WR would be.

Offense isn't so much as stopping what a guy does as it is adjusting to what he might do if you don't defend him properly. Arian Smith - yes I am rooting for the guy who committed to UGA out of high school over the transfer - might rack up insane yards after the catch and make receiving plays on a ton of routes all over the field for 200 yards and 3 TDs even if he isn't as good a blocker as Delp. Meanwhile, no TE - unless he is some future College Hall of Famer, and allow me to propose that if Delp was as good as Bowers was as a true freshman we would know it by now - is going to be that type of threat at WR (because if they were, they'd be playing WR ... nothing to do with Delp being 6'4" 220 because Calvin Johnson, Demaryius Thomas, Mike Evans etc. are/were that size).

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 828 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lest we forget, everyone one of these guys is getting "game time" experience each day in practice, given the talent they face on the other side of the line and the way Kirby runs practices. Honestly, with this situation (and its embarrassment of riches), I worry not in the least about who goes in and when... I fully expect each guy to be more than able to step up and execute at a very high level when his number is called (for whatever reason), with very little if any adjustment needed, and see minimal if any drop off in position impact. I think pro scouts recognize this elite situation at UGA as well... so personal stats aside, where they trained (UGA) is especially relevant here. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

KInd of hard to know(we the fans) exactly what have in Delp right now. I'm sure the coaches know or have a better idea than us. Hard to get on the field and get looks while the best TE in UGA history is getting his and our WR's are getting theirs. But from what little I've seen he looks extremely promising! THere may never be another Brock Bowers who just does everything seemingly perfect. BUt that doesn't mean Delp, Spurlin or Luckie or whoever couldn't be stars in their own right. They very well may. It's sort of like when we had Gurley, MIchel and Chubb. I think they all did pretty well. We can all discuss who was the greatest but they all were great!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You don’t get on the field under Kirby Smart unless you can be at least pretty effective at blocking, no matter how good your other talents might be. As has already been said we don’t have another D. Washington on the roster. But I am confident that Delp will be effective enough to block for Bowers and others and he has already showed excellent potential at catching the ball. I think he and Bowers will compliment each other just fine. The main thing is the new QB will have Plenty of very potent targets to throw to. And that’s if the season were starting today. Once the three young pups get some time under their belts they will just be added firepower !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2023

@reddawg1 I agree with you on the trio of RB’s comment.

The thing is, despite some naysayers out there, Gurley had Mike Bobo holding him back as the OC.

Maybe not intentionally, but IMO that doesn’t make it any less true.

Todd Gurley, as much as I ❤️ Chubb and Michel, was a “modern” version of Herschel Walker for the younger (under 50) Dawg fans.

Gurley was a man amongst boys even in the big and bad SEC the moment he hit the field as a true freshman.

I saw him absolutely truck more LB’s and safeties than any other RB on Georgia’s team going back to the mid 90’s.

I am looking for Milton to “finally” have a break out year this season the way that McIntosh did this past season. Man what a season Kenny had! I bet he went from a mid 3-4 round grade preseason to low 1st/ mid 2nd round grade for this upcoming draft. There isn’t anything that DGD can’t do at the RB position.