Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Scott Rolen elected into the Hall of Fame

Bulldawg90Bulldawg90 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited January 2023 in General

I've always thought that Dale Murphy was a few good seasons shy of a HOF induction. He was the best in the league for 4-5 years. 2 MVPs, 5 Gold Gloves, 4 Silver Sluggers.

He played at least 150 games in 11 seasons. Played in all 162 games four consecutive seasons from 1982-1985.

Scott Rolen was a great player. Great glove especially. He went from 10 percent of the vote to 76 percent in 6 years of eligibility.

But... if Scott Rolen can make the HOF, Dale Murphy and Don Mattingly should be voted in effective retroactively.

Comments

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

If I have to google your stats, you aren’t a hall of famer.

I won’t be bouncing my grandkids on my knee telling them I saw Scott Rolen play baseball.

• BumBum Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Is Dale still on the ballot?

• swilkerson7317swilkerson7317 Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No but he can still get in. I don't know the exact rules but there is another committee who will take deserving players who didn't get in on the media vote and vote them in.

Someone here knows the process better than me but it's a thing. I think eventually he gets in that way.

• Bulldawg90Bulldawg90 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

I've been impressed over the years that MLB writers have held such high statistical standards , usually over about a decade of such big time seasons. The steroid era blew that formula up.

With today's game emphasizing homers over hits (and low batting averages brushed off along with strikeouts) and specialization in pitching staffs that make five innings a "quality start", those standards will rarely be achieved again.

• TurkDawgTurkDawg Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

I have great memories of going to Braves games in the 70s as part of the “Straight A student” promotion. My brother and I would work hard to get straight A’s during fall and winter quarters. We’d then get ticket application awards that let us choose 3 out of 8 (usually weeknight) games, to which we’d each get 2 free tickets. We’d take turns inviting a friend and meet my dad at the Varsity downtown before heading over to watch guys like Hank Aaron, Phil Neikro, Jerry Royster and Dale Murphy.

Even though the Braves were not good then they always had a few special players that were worth cheering for. And I loved the fireworks shows and Chief NOC-a-Homa doing his war dance on the pitchers mound. Great memories from another era.

My dad’s company also had 2 sets of Falcons season tickets they gave to customers but occasionally we would get to go and enjoy seeing Tommy Nobis, John Zook, Haskell Stanback and Steve Bartkowski play. Falcons had a big OT from Kentucky Warren Bryant who would get flagged for holding all the time.