Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football roster takeaways after examining the full 85-man scholarship roster

2»

Comments

• robinsdawgrobinsdawg Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

After last year's NCG, everyone associated with UGA knew Stetson would be QB1 this past season, so the other three knew their roles. This year, obviously, there's not a QB1 yet. So Kirby likely is approaching this offseason and talking with the two guys (mainly) concerned that he's gonna go with a QB1 and QB1A. I imagine he'll give them 50/50 shots with the 1's during the spring and summer. I read somewhere on here a couple days ago, someone commenting on the possibility of a two QB system. I don't think Kirby would do that in-game, but wonder if he might consider it game to game, especially with our easy early season schedule.

• sthop456sthop456 Posts: 75 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2023

My crystal ball predicts at least 1 QB transfer in the May Portal, either Beck or Vandegriff (most likely) since they both have only 2 years eligibility remaining. Kirby may keep them close to his vest by playing them all equally in the spring game and stating publicly that the position is 'wide open' , but privately, the QB room will have a good idea which one of them will start in the fall, and the QBs know that you don't impress NFL scouts by holding a clipboard on the sidelines.

• CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 786 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Beck looked really good last year (aside from inexperience mistakes, such as that fumble against -- who was it? -- Kentucky?) Obviously, he's farthest along in his development, having one more year in the system.

Vandagriff has always seemed to me to have the most upside. Both have rocket arms, but Brock can tuck it and run. (Plus he has that Samson-hair, which of course makes him even stronger. ;-)

One happy scenario: Beck uses his skills, his training and the players around him to have a Mac-Jones-type one-and-done starting season, leading a supercharged offense, while Vandagriff sticks around for the same opportunity in 2024. Given how good they've looked in practices and scrimmages, it's very possible that both turn out to be top-five type QBs. I'd hate to see either go, because both look to me to have all the tools ... and I'm a greedy Dawg who wants all the bones!

I'm less familiar with Stockton, although I know that a lot of Dawgnation commenters think highly of him. Because he's younger and such a Dawg-from-birth player, I'm less concerned about him transferring.

Then, there's the possibility of Dylan Raiola. If he commits to UGA, he'll expect to play by his sophomore year (2025). That would screw up the one-starting-year-and-done train for Stockton (but I'm getting way ahead of things ... ).

The real question this spring will be whether Vandagriff (or Beck) leaves. Vandagriff seems to have indicated that Monken is part of the magnet that keeps him here, and with each passing day it seems more likely that Monken is staying (crossing my fingers).

But if any of them did leave, wouldn't we expect Kirby dip into the portal, just to be three-deep with scholarship QBs?

• thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@sthop456

Actually Beck has 3 years remaining because of the pandemic year, plus he gets to also claim a redshirt year. So Vandagriff - who joined in 2021 and doesn't get a pandemic year but can claim a redshirt year - have the same 3 years of eligibility remaining. Stockton, who claimed this year as a redshirt year, has 4.

That being said, considering that Beck has prototypical NFL measurables - 6'4", has an NFL arm, is sufficiently mobile by NFL standards - he could leave for the NFL draft after a big year. Although what may give UGA the best chance to win a title next year would be a return to balance: 3000 yard passer with a couple of 1000 yard rushers (Milton and Edward).

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It’s possible that one of the three QBs could elect to leave. But as long as Coach Monken is here, referring in particular to this coming season, I don’t necessarily see any of them leaving. BVG has stated that he wants to learn all he can from Coach Monken. Gunner still has Time on his side so I don’t see why he’d want to leave at this particular juncture. The only one I see realistically leaving would be Beck if somehow BVG or Gunner upstaged him. That will be an uphill climb for both those guys as Beck has had significantly more real game snaps and has looked pretty good in those opportunities.