Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia quarterback Stetson Bennett arrested early Sunday morning

124»

Comments

• Options
    1946Dawgshappened1946Dawgshappened Posts: 66 ✭✭✭ Junior

You know Griffith will have a field day with this information.

• Options
    1946Dawgshappened1946Dawgshappened Posts: 66 ✭✭✭ Junior

I just hope Griffith, UGADad20 and a few others here aren't on his jury.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I would seriously suggest that Bennett joins AA whether he has a real problem or not. If he were to do that, it could be a positive thing for his image.

He needs to show NFL teams that he is ready to quickly adapt and grow. Stubbornness is not something he wants to be viewed as.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

Could be. Not trying to chest thump cause it’s nothing to chest thump about. But I was Ga. Dept. Of Corrections for nearly 12 years. Though I worked at different facilities in different capacities I was primarily in Prison Boot Camp, back when it first started. Ga. was the first state to have a Boot Camp. I was tough but fair on the Inmates in my charge. I tried my level best to mentor them to go on to a better life after getting out. Several families wrote the Warden commending me for my work with the Inmates. I was commentated but the then Gov. of the State Of Ga. I dealt with young guys from the ghetto and rich little guys from prominent families, and everything in between. I had Two Inmates that had been in the NFL. Had one that I remember from Clemson and one from FSU. Also had at one time a former World Kick Boxing Champion. Earlier in my career I had Inmates for pretty much every crime one can think of. Many of the guys I had were just plain Mean, pure Wicked. But there were quite a few in for being just Foolish. Anyhow I saw with my own eyes and heard the stories of guys that just threw their lives away. I hated every second of it. But the back then they had the ole Don’t Forget Hire A Vet, well they Forgot. It was the best job I could get at the time. By the grace of God I was able to transfer to another State Agency where I put in nearly 15 more years, and ultimately developed allot of health problems and retired. I saw so many young men lives pretty much ruined forever. I actually ran into some of my former Inmates and the thanked me over and over again for trying to help them get things together. The ones I ran into outside the prison were the fortunate ones, who had probably got it together. Unfortunately the bigger percentage spend most of their lives in and out of prison. I sure Hope I made a difference. I didn’t powder puff those guys, I was tough on Em but fair to, I didn’t try to treat them like animals either. Allot of people just don’t relaxin how fast that circumstances can put them in prison. Wrong place, Wrong time, being with the Wrong people. That’s Why I preach the Stop & Think mantra so hard. I don’t mean to get on people’s nerves with that. It’s just my Hope that Maybe a younger person will take that to heart. P.S. I had some friends that were adults that Never grew up, their in the cemetery now. Course You Know all this is not directed At You, I’m just putting down thoughts. I have TONS of respect for You Bro. As I Know what a man has to be to do what You did in the Navy !! You were part of some of the Navy’s very best !! An Elite group !!

• Options

One of the many things in life that I would Hope we’d all want to aspire to, is Try as best we can to help others not to make the same ( or much worse) mistakes that We made. Course I know and appreciate that we have to be careful about preaching to people. Coming on To strong. People want to be free to make their own decisions. And being young doesn’t equate to being s t u p I d. I get that. I wanted to do my own thing a million years ago when I was young to Lol !! But don’t be to quick to brush off the ole folks advice either. Clothing styles change, hair styles, the slang words or buzz words, technology, etc. etc. but in many, many ways a young guy Now is similar to a young guy from 60 years ago or 80 years ago or more. Ole folks in the basics have already been where young folks have Yet to go in the basics of life. Give the ole folks an attentive ear for a little bit, and take the things they say to heart. You just might be glad you did !!

• Options
    Run_Lindsey_RunRun_Lindsey_Run Posts: 46 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2023

@87dawg - I expect a ton of down votes so have at it. Herschel Walker is a huge embarrassment to UGA ... on so many fronts. I used to think otherwise. However, he has shown a continued pattern of bad judgement and poor decision making. These are not the makings of a GOAT. If you want to just carve out his college career and isolate it from the rest of his life, Herschel was a VERY good college player. Not even close to GOAT though. Exciting? Yes. Powerful runner? Of course. But it kind of stops there as starting in 2017, Walker has made the false claim that he had graduated from University of Georgia "in the top 1% of his class". In fact, he did not graduate, and left college to join the USFL. He did not return to complete his degree. No GOAT for you from me, Herschel.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A guy who came in on the portal like a week ago, and a guy who's not even on the team anymore getting arrested for being drunk a thousand miles away. Take deep breath, it's going to be ok.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

I often agree with many of your points/observations, but not so sure about this one. I'm certainly not declaring Bennett is GOAT at Georgia, but to summarily dismiss the idea isn't being objective. I loved Herschel's playing days and extraordinary accomplishments (I was at all those games, and he dated my girlfriend's roommate), and it's possible no other college football player will match the combination of his pure athletic ability and work ethic. But let's face it, his playbook consisted of run up the middle, toss left/right, and leap over the middle. Arguably the best ever at that, but an average blocker and receiver, and not terribly complicated. Bennett, on the other hand, had a superior support cast, but someone needs to put those players in position to do their thing. Bennet had solid physical skills to both throw and run, but best of all used his football IQ to read defenses at the line of scrimmage and beyond... every game, every play, with every opponent playing their best and gunning for your top-ranked team, with similarly amazing results. I can make a pretty decent case for either dude as GOAT, and surely DGDs despite some **** behavior after their playing days were done. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

Thanks, Man. You too.

I didn't know all that about you. I knew, like me, you were a Vet...but, I had no idea you were a prison guard. You have to be tough...and have your head on a swivel 24/7 to do that job. Much respect, my Friend. How did you stay sane, surrounded by all that "evil"? Lol

• Options
    edited January 2023

Well I might not have been Lol. Sane that is Lol !! I saw some off the charts Crazy mess in that job !!

• Options
    CHDawg54CHDawg54 Posts: 334 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Maturity can come and go. I thought I was mature until I got divorced at 30. That led to 4 years of bar fights, speeding tickets, and other stupidity. I met my current wife when I was 35 and she steered me back to maturity, but it took her five years. Things happen in life that we are sometimes not ready to handle and the consequences can be devastating to oneself, family, and friends.

None of us know what Stetson is having to deal with right now. Until all the facts are known, cut him some slack.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ain't that the truth! There's nothing like a "good woman", to settle a man down and get him focused. I had one. She passed on, some years back, but, She taught me, more than I ever taught Her. Lord knows, where I would've wound up, without Her.

You might be on to something. Bennett does need to settle down and refocus. I can only imagine, the meat grinder and pressure cooker he's been living in, for the past 5 or 6 years. What it takes to overachieve, in that environment, is almost superhuman. He needs to find a good Woman, that can keep His lid from blowing off. Lol

Football has been compared to a chessmatch....and, it's also been compared to War. There's a lot of truth in both statements. Bobby Fisher had issues...so did Audie Murphy...it takes an enormous amount of focus and commitment to achieve the success Bennett enjoyed while wearing The "G".

He just finished his Bulldog career 3 weeks ago...and people are already asking him, "What's next?". No time to wind down...gotta go, go, go, baby.

I think I would do, exactly what he tried to do...remove myself from the public and work on me. Unfortunately, he didn't remove himself far enough. Lol...maybe he should train in Siberia, like Rocky.