Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

WATCH: Todd Monken explains why he left Georgia for ‘parallel’ Baltimore Ravens job

SystemSystem Posts: 10,538 admin
edited February 2023 in Article commenting
imageWATCH: Todd Monken explains why he left Georgia for ‘parallel’ Baltimore Ravens job

ATHENS — Todd Monken sees Georgia football as an equal to the Baltimore NFL franchise, describing his move to become the Ravens offensive coordinator as “parallel’ in his Tuesday press conference.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sorry, I wouldn't want to be the coach having to deal with the drama and personality of Lamar Jackson.

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

so are we to believe that Harbaugh only thought of looking at Monken when his sister said he and his wife were great people?! It’s almost like Harbaugh can’t even mention UGA because it ripped through his brother’s “NFL built” team like it was a JV scrimmage. Gonna miss Monken and wish him luck and believing Bobo keeps things rolling. Go DAWGS

• Options
    GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jim may have had a part in this as well - as MG said, CTM's offense tore through the Michigan defense with relative ease...maybe he wanted to help take away a piece of the successful Smart machine. Who knows? I know Coach Bobo will make the best of his 2nd stint as the Georgia OC. Nothing like a guy that feels like he has something to prove. I think he will work hard to help Georgia fans forget Monken. Or at least soften the blow of the Monken exit. No doubt, that will be a tall order! GO DAWGS!

• Options
    rxmasterrxmaster Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

Didn't read a bit of this article, but I wanted to comment. The article probably needs to be written, but I hope this isn't a recurring theme like it was with Justin Fields at Ohio State, articles discussing what Monken is doing in Baltimore. Don't really care about the what or the why of his exit - he chose to leave, and that is all that matters, and all I really need to know. Thank you for your time with UGA Coach Monken, helping us over the hump, but you chose to leave and like the players, we should be focusing on those who want to be with the team.. Good luck, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Buh bye. Time for us to move on.

It was interesting to read that Smart "got Bobo in place" last year. Seems he got Muschamp on board the season before Lanning left. Gotta love that "analyst" thing!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

Wait…….is the sister Crean’s wife and Harbaugh’s sister? Now I get it…she has no love lost for our adorable Dawgs 😉

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 383 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 2023

@MontanaDawg

Apart from his contract demands, Lamar Jackson has no history of the "drama and personality" that you are speaking of in college or the NFL. I have a feeling why you believe otherwise, but they will go unsaid. Rest assured, if Monken was able to "headbut" with SB IV, he will get along with Lamar just fine.

Also, Lamar Jackson's backup has a similar skillset. So if Lamar leaves - and Baltimore doesn't have to give him a $250 million contract - Monken will actually be better off.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The only thing I have against Jackson, is the same thing I had against Matt Ryan. Not enough bang for the buck. The Ravens have to decide between paying 1 guy, a massive contract, eating deep in their Cap...or dump his contract to go after talent at other positions...along with a competent backup. Keeping in mind...winning is all that matters. If that 1 guy goes down to injury in the 1st game. Your season is shot, because you put all your marbles in one basket.

If there's one thing I've learned over the years...no one player ever won a Super Bowl (SB). An average QB can take a great "Team" to the SB...but, not the other way around. Take a look at Chris Chambliss in '99.

On the flip side...Michael Vick was the most dominant single player at the QB position, that I've ever seen. He virtually led the Falcons to the playoffs in his 1st or 2nd year...then, got injured in the following pre-season, derailing any chance the Birds had of returning. One guy rule. Don't do it. IMO

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@BigDawg61

While you are not wrong in general, with the Falcons specifically their main problem was not drafting better. The one year the Falcons had a truly good draft they went to a Super Bowl (which for the record was lost because of coaching). If you look at their drafts, basically none of their OL picks, DL picks, LB or CB picks etc. panned out. They also made no real attempt to replace Tony Gonzalez over the years, which was absolutely amazing. The Julio Jones thing - trading all those picks to take one WR who was always hurt yet had massive contract demands - backfired, as did the Calvin Ridley debacle. The Ryan era would have turned out much better had the Falcons ever gotten what the Rams, Chiefs and Eagles have now, which are good general managers plus head coaches with a good eye for talent. For that matter the Vick era would have too.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You touch on an interesting subject. I agree that "franchise" QB's are overpaid and eat way too much of the cap. Isn't that EVERY franchise QB not just Matt Ryan? That's why it seems that a team has to win the SB BEFORE that franchise QB hits that 2nd contract. Like Sea w/Russell Wilson. Like Philly made its run this year w/Jalen Hurts.

Teams tend to kick the can down the road, buying time, knowing the salary cap goes up every year. But how many teams, besides NE (Brady always took less when NE was winning), have won the SB after giving their QB that huge contract? It is certainly the exception.

Baltimore is at that crossroad now. They seem to be at the same place Dallas was when Jerry Jones gave Dak Prescott a bloated contract. And Dallas has fallen on their face every playoff since.

Like you said, not enough bang for the buck. But that's what NFL GM's do. Seems to me some NFL GM would figure out drafting QB's every year and cycling them out when they reach that big contract year might be the way to go. Especially with CFB QB's being better coached in CFB and the NFL evolving into an RPO league similar to CFB.

Baltimore will cave in and make a deal with LJackson. CTM will have his QB to work with. His O fits Jackson well. And Balt will have to cut corners elsewhere like everyone else does.

BUT John Harbaugh is one of the most secure HC's in the NFL. Which makes CTM one of the most secure OC's in the NFL.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"The Bulldogs are losing half of last season’s championship offense,"

Not especially an issue as teams have to replace players every year in CFB. UGA has recruited well and prepared backups with PT.

HOWEVER, the one place that UGA seems to have a deficit on O relative to '21 and '22 is on RB receiving out of the backfield. A VERY important piece of the O the last few years.

UGA does not return a RB with close to the receiving skills of KMcI or JCook. KMilton is not as good a receiver out of the backfield. Also Milton's availability has been unreliable. If Milton does not improve and step up that role will suffer.

Hopefully someone steps up. But in a pinch BB could play an H-Back type role or line up as RB and come out of the backfield. Another way to get 2 TE's on the field and move BB around more. Hopefully somebody develops and it doesn't come to that.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I Really appreciate all Coach Monken did at UGA, I will be forever grateful. I wish him and his family the very best. That said I could care less about the NFL as a fan, though I understand and appreciate that it’s important to players with aspirations of going there. To @UGADad20 I agree with your take about RBs catching the ball out of the backfield. Kenny Mac will surely be missed. And I agree with you that at This juncture Kendall is not nearly as efficient. But I’m hoping that with more opportunities both in practice and real games he can get better. And Hopefully we have some Surprise guys in that regard. We’ll have to see. I’ve got what is probably a s t u p i d question. Though we’re not over flowing with WRs ( depth) we Do have more now than in recent years. We also have Bowers and Delp to throw to. OK here goes my idiotic question big Lol, would it be wise to move Arian Smith to RB with plays where he Could Run the ball as well as catch the ball to prevent from becoming to predictable ( just catching the ball out of the backfield to often) ?? He has as we know blazing speed. I wouldn’t suggest running him right up the gut, but some designed plays where he Could be a threat to run as well as catch the ball out of the backfield ? He could be used sparingly in that role, allowing him to remain technically at WR. As you know we’ve used WRs running the ball in the past. This question is also open to Anyone. Utterly Crazy thought or is there any merit ?? 🤪 Thx in advance for the responses !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@navydawg

“would it be wise to move Arian Smith to RB”

I think he’s far too small to run the ball out of the backfield, especially in the SEC. The advantage he has is using speed to get passed the defenders for a shot down field, and keeping the Safeties honest in play action. I cringe every time he gets tackled because he is so prone to injury. I just don’t think he would last very long at RB.

GO DAWGS!