Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

WATCH: Todd Monken explains why he left Georgia for ‘parallel’ Baltimore Ravens job

2»

Comments

• GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 486 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@navydawg

“would it be wise to move Arian Smith to RB”

I think he’s far too small to run the ball out of the backfield, especially in the SEC. The advantage he has is using speed to get passed the defenders for a shot down field, and keeping the Safeties honest in play action. I cringe every time he gets tackled because he is so prone to injury. I just don’t think he would last very long at RB.

GO DAWGS!

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thx for the honest and more than apt correct answer. I did think of that before I posted my question, but I wondered would the risks out weigh the reward ? Probably not. Think there might be a pretty speedy WR on the roster that Could help supplement that role ?? Like I said in my comment before I posted the question, Hopefully it’s just a matter of Kendall getting more reps both in practices and real games at Catching the ball. When he’s fully healthy Kendall has shown he can certainly run the ball. But even when he’s fully healthy I don’t think he has the speed that Kenny Mac had and he doesn’t seem to be quite as elusive as K Mac was either. But Kendall Does have plenty of strength when he’s fully healthy, breaking tackles and pushing the pile forward. I just wish we had ( maybe we do) another guy to help augment the ability to Both run and catch the ball out of the backfield. No I wouldn’t want to see Arian injured needlessly, so probably a bad idea on my part. Thx again !!

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The following quote from Monken sums up why I believed he was going to leave UGA all along, even when it looked like he was staying because things weren't working out for him to go to Tampa Bay:

“This is a business,” Monken said. “I’ve done organizations where ‘this is a family.’ This isn’t a family. You’re going to fire me if we ****, so don’t say it’s a family. This is the way it is.”

As much as some (many) Dawg fans believed he wanted to come back for a chance at a 3-peat, and because he wouldn't want to deal with the drama of NFL players, and because of whatever, the bottom line is, Todd Monken really has NO allegiances. He just wants to go wherever he wants and do whatever he wants, whenever he wants. And, as he said, this (coaching in the NFL) is just something he wants to do right now. He makes it out as if it's about the Ravens' culture and all of that. I call bs on that, too. He just needed to find a team that truly wanted him and was willing to pay him like it. He found that in Baltimore. I'm not mad at him at all. In fact, I appreciate his honesty because MOST coaches AND PLAYERS, are probably just like him. We liked Monken because we got two Natty's with him as OC, nothing more. We love Kirby Smart now because he's winning, not because he's a fellow UGA alum or worked under Nick Saban. We couldn't care less about all of that. Just let him have like 3 losing seasons in a row and watch the tide turn against him -- and his friends, Bobo and Muschamp. So, Monken is right; "this isn't a family. You're going to fire me if we ****, so don't say it's a family. This is the way it is." Go Dawgs!

Yep. Agree. Sometimes it can be a harsh reality, but it’s still a reality no matter how harsh or soft. And like you said at least he was honest and forth coming about it. He didn’t try to blow a bunch of sunshine and daisies to the Dawgs fanbase. And again echoing your thoughts, it’s a Business to the vast majority of coaches. Really in most cases it pretty much Has to be as they want the very best that they can provide for Their families to. Sure can’t knock Em for that.

I will confess that I ( wrongly) Thought his age would cause him to hesitate a little about leaving. Not that he’s really old, as he’s not. But he’s not that young either. I wrongly thought that he might see UGA as a good place to ultimately retire, After quite a few more years and Was making the most Coordinator $$ in college football. BUT I suppose he wanted to satisfy a What If in his life. Thinking What If I could have helped take a team to the Super Bowl ? I guess he didn’t want to live his life wondering if he missed out on something. Sure can’t knock him for that. I’ve got several What If’s that I’ll never be able to go back and change. It is what it is.

• sthop456sthop456 Posts: 75 ✭✭✭ Junior

Thanks, Monken, for all you did at UGA, but Baltimore ain't parallel UGA in anything.

• KickJudyKickJudy Posts: 81 ✭✭ Sophomore

I'm way to slow on this stuff, I had no idea Harbaugh's sister caused Monken's departure. I've got to pay better attention.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

I'll start by saying this...IMO, Branson Robinson is going to surprise some people and put those doubts to bed, early this year. In April, as a matter of fact.

Personally...I think Arian Smith is too brittle and injury proned, to play that position...consistently. He would also have to block blitzing LBs and DE's.

IF...none of the backs are up to the task, I'd use Delp or one of the new TEs. He has the body type and skillset of a RB. Bowers, IMO, is more like a fullback with sprinter speed. He could play ANY position. I suggested moving him to RB, last year. But, this year, I favor moving Delp to RB....if needed.

Either way...you can't go wrong.Lol...having all that talent to play with. Is a beautiful thing. Mike Bobo is lickin' his lips.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

At 175 lb ASmith is at his right position; WR. He would never stand up to the pounding he would take even as an occasional RB.

KMilton has displayed pretty good hands and is the most natural receiver that we have seen of the current RB's. Receiving RB could be his role to utilize his skills and limit his touches/injury risk.

BRobinson and DEdwards have similar styles and skillsets. Hard runners lacking breakaway speed who are not natural receivers. Not being a good/natural receiver in HS is what dropped BRob in his rankings. Maybe they will improve. But having natural receiving skills is usually something you have or don't have. Receiving takes coordination and flexibility to track and adjust to the ball in the air. Muscle bound guys tend to look stiffer, less flexible and less coordinated than more naturally athletic guys.

APaul will have limited touches this season as he is brought along slowly after his '22 ACL tear. Based on his HS highlight film his receiving skills are TBD.

RRobinson receiving skills are also TBD based on his HS highlight film. This could be where he carves out a role as a freshman RB should he possess some consistent receiving skills.

'23 "ATH" Kyron Jones played RB in HS. Should he shine as a receiver he could possibly take some game reps as 3rd down back. But that means everyone else didn't step up. Plus 3* KJ was recruited to play DB not RB. Sooner they get him playing DB the better for him.

None of these guys are JCook or KMcI when it comes to catching the ball.