Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Carson Beck vs. Brock Vandagriff: Kirby Smart’s opening remarks on Georgia QB competition

SystemSystem Posts: 10,556 admin
edited March 2023 in Article commenting
imageCarson Beck vs. Brock Vandagriff: Kirby Smart’s opening remarks on Georgia QB competition

ATHENS — The Georgia quarterback competition will feature Carson Beck and Brock Vandagriff splitting reps with the first team as it moves to the practice field with the start of spring drills on Tuesday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I beg to differ sir. No way BV beats a 4.6 in the 40. If you do, you're a daisey. SB did that without breaking a sweat. Below 4.6 would put BV in Anthony Richardson category. Those big guys that fast don't grow on trees.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Plunkin' it down on Brock..the athlete. He is very fast for a QB. Saw him run. Beck has a good and accurate arm. Pocket guy. Gunner has speed and good field vision, plus the arm. Gonna be a real battle.

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 480 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

With Kirby Smart, no one can predict who will be the starter. No One!!!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Only knock, if you can call it , I have on BV is watching his HS tape, we has a long arm action, like a baseball pitcher. Not saying it can't work though. :)

• Options
    CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

Stets is 5 years older and 25 lbs lighter than BVG so shouldn't be be faster than him at this point? I still think it would be close

• Options
    CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

But if they are racing to see who can knock on the most doors at 6 AM I got Stets pulling away

• Options
    GrogersGrogers Posts: 16 ✭✭ Sophomore

I suspect it will come down to leadership, ball security, and who performs the best between the ears.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

CKS doing his very best to keep the 3 QB's guessing and interested in staying at UGA. Will be interesting to see how long he can keep up the vague answers. Should 1 QB leave in the 2nd TP window and the starter get hurt in a game, UGA would have 1 scholarship QB to play. Not a good place to be in. Would not be a surprise to see a TP QB added should UGA lose one to the TP.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2023

"Will be interesting to see how long he can keep up the vague answers."_____

Lol...all year long...just like he did when it was "The Daniels & Bennett Show".

We won't know for sure, who the "starting QB" will be, going forward, until the UGA vs FLA game...IMO. Too many cupcakes on the 1st half of UGA's schedule, to find out what your QB's are made of. You need competition and adversity, for that. All of em are capable and athletic. "How they handle adversity", is the only unknown.

That being said...I think the Dawgs roll Beck out as "starter" for the first game of the season. He would have to really screw-up, for that not to happen. Or, one of the other two guys, would have to become something really special, between now and August.

The 1st four games of the season, gives Smart and Bobo plenty of operating room, to get it right.

• Options
  • Options
    edited March 2023

You may be right. BVG is as good as Anthony Richardson. That says a lot, regarding the wide gulf between UGA recruiting, and UF recruiting. BVG was a 3rd stringer and an "also QB", for the last 3 years...while Richardson was supposed to be some kind of wunderkind QB...that never really developed. Accuracy has plagued both of em.

If BVG's accuracy improves...he could be, "The One", Morpheus. Lol

That being said...Gunner Stockton, might be better than either of the other two. He can run...and, he can pass. Depends on where he is in his development.

And...that is why the competition for the UGA QB position, is so interesting, this year. Watch out!!! Here comes the "ESPN Hype Machine"...Lol.

• Options
    KickJudyKickJudy Posts: 81 ✭✭ Sophomore

All three Quarterbacks are starters for most any SEC team, I believe. The mental aspect will tell the tale. The QB that gets the defensive reads right most will be the winner. If your read is right you know which receiver is most likely to have a play on the ball. Stetson got very good at reading defenses, I think Brock Vandergriff has that same mental capability. Ain't it wonderful after all these years to have two recent championships and know that it could be three here before long. The answer is YES. GO DAWGS!

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am more excited to see Gunner in the G-day game as I am Beck or BVG. It takes heart and desire to excel on the scout team and that is something neither Beck nor Brock showed as freshmen. Gunner may be young but he has skills and against playoff teams I want the QB that will will his team to a win in the fourth quarter the way Stet did against Ohio State. That QB just may be Gunner!

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 527 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

They all have that capability and the mental aspect as you put it. Had it in HS. But who processes fastest will give him an edge, after who doesn't TURN THE BALL OVER. That is still #1 PRIORITY over mental and physical and everything else.

Knowing the plays, reading the defenses, that mental preparedness and then, who processes it all the fastest during a play. Like the Purdy kid with the 49'ers does so well, will likely be the starter. Time will tell. They all got the physical covered in their own ways, I do believe.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 527 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

He will keep it up as long as they are there. Definitely into the season. The question is, will BV be there come fall if he is not the starter? I think Beck will stay no matter what but, he might not like it if after patiently and admirably waiting his turn, he doesn't get the job if he thinks he is as good or better than the other guy.

Beck, I love his attitude and commitment a lot. Even after BV committed to UGA not long after him, he did not waiver and go elsewhere with BV being from GA and him for FL.

I am pulling for him but...may the best man win. And that is how it should be.

Otherwise, we would not have had the legend of Stetson Bennett IV...and possibly no Natty

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@ColumbusDawg

No, Carson Beck isn't going to waste his college career and shot at an NFL contract by riding the UGA bench for 5 years. He is also not going to put himself in a position where he has only 1 year to impress the NFL and take the risk of the team that he goes to not being particularly good, not being invested in him (because they know that he will be gone in a year regardless) or getting hurt. If Beck isn't named the starter after spring he will hit the portal.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited March 2023

@BigDawg61

Anthony Richardson ran the 4th fastest time in history for a QB at the combine. (Two guys who ran similar times were moved to WR by the NFL). Add to that a 10 foot 9 inch broad jump and 40.5 inch vertical leap. And he did it at 6'4" 245 lbs. So BVG is no Richardson. Not even close.

And as for Richardson's "accuracy problems" ... you might want to check Stetson Bennett IV's 2020 stats in that area for a much more talented than Florida in ages but still not exactly loaded UGA team - 56% with 8 TDs, 6 INTs and 2 benchings - and consider that if SB IV was in the mess that Richardson dealt with in Gainesville last season his "accuracy problems" would have been even worse.

Richardson's story is interesting. Originally he was a lower profile recruit because he played at a high school that didn't have a tradition of producing major college talent so he just wasn't on anyone's radar, whether coaching staffs or recruiting services. He begged the Gators to give him a shot, but they ignored him until every single one of their other QB targets - including Carson Beck - committed elsewhere, at which point Mullen finally gave him an offer which he immediately accepted. After he committed to the Gators, the recruiting types went back and looked at his high school film and watched a few games. They came to 2 conclusions.

1. He is VERY TALENTED, so his rating shot up from borderline 3 star to 4 stars immediately.
    2. He is VERY RAW and will need years of position coaching and to learn a college playbook, which is why it remained at the lower 4 star level, and he never became a top 200 recruit and no one made a real run at trying to pry him from the Gators (as they probably would have wanted to move him to WR, TE or defense).

Now Mullen honestly wanted to continue with the more passing-oriented version of his offense that he was doing with Kyle Trask, and that he had done with Alex Smith previously at Utah. But since he failed to land Beck to do it with, then the plan was for Mullen to go back to the "Dak Prescott/Nick Fitzgerald" option heavy version, with Emory Jones playing for 2 years and then a more polished Richardson taking over. Didn't happen because of Mullen's aversion to recruiting. Instead the Gators - who never liked Jones anyway - scapegoated him for the losing in 2021, so Mullen threw Richardson to the wolves to save his job. Didn't work. Billy Napier took over and instead of sticking with a scheme that was similar to what Richardson played in high school and that he had spent 2 seasons learning under Mullen, Napier decided to put in a pro-style offense because "sacrificing wins today will mean better results down the line". With a raw option QB and Mullen's subpar spread personnel. Went about as well as you can expect. Especially when the same types who scapegoated Emory Jones trained their fire on Richardson. "A more accurate QB who is better at reading defenses and is a better leader" (typical dog whistle code word stuff) "would have won us more games against more talented and better coached teams!" So Richardson - who hated the fans bashing Jones also - got sick of the situation in Gainesville and just decided to bet on himself and enter the draft. Even better: nearly everyone on that Gators roster that was actually good either entered the draft with him or entered the transfer portal. So, Gator fans who were absolutely certain that they would go back to winning 10 games a year and threatening in the SEC East if only they could get Anthony Richardson out of the way so they could go back to - I don't know Rex Grossman and Jeff Driskel I guess - aren't thrilled. But hey, couldn't have happened to a classier group of people I guess.

But between being overlooked - and not well coached - in high school to spending a nightmare 3 years in Gainesville, Richardson hasn't been in environments suited to developing his natural gifts. It is almost as if it would have been better for him had the Gators continued to blow him off and he had wound up at a smaller school like UCF or Liberty. The reason: even though some NFL team is going to invest a high draft pick in him, he is still nowhere near a finished product. He would have been much better off spending 4 years getting good coaching and playing time like Josh Allen and some of the other smaller school QBs did. Or gone to a major college that has a track record of coaching up and winning with 3 star players like Baylor, TCU, Purdue, Louisville, Wake Forest or Michigan State.

• Options

Lol...I don't "ride or die" on the statistics wagon, like some of you guys. I have eyes and 60 years of experience with the game, that tells me what a quarterback is doing and where his strengths and weaknesses lie.

Many things can influence Statistics, that may or may not be relevant. You have to know how to read between the lines and identify the nuances. For instance...QB turnovers can be attributed to many things. Some are correctable...some aren't. Some can be attributed to the QB...some, not so much.

I agree with you, in part. I think Richardson is one of the best athletes in the game...but, not at quarterback. He would need at least 2 years of intensive training to improve his accuracy, touch and defensive reads (which is his biggest weakness).

I'm not going to rehash Bennett's career; however, he did, what Richardson isn't willing to do. He hung around and did what he needed to do, to improve his game. Bennett's career speaks for itself and he enters the draft as the best possible QB he can be....and, that's all you can ask for. Regardless, of the hype you hear from some of those guys on ESPN...there is no such thing as a "perfect quarterback". Lol

I'm sure, in time, some reporter will even find a way to poke holes in Tom Brady's game, as he had weaknesses, too. But, he was aware of those weaknesses and built his game around them. They weren't career-killer flaws.

Richardson's biggest weakness, is a career-killer. A lot of the passes he got away with at the collegiate level, will be interceptions at the professional level. Career-killer. He didn't seem to improve, one iota, between 2020 and 2022, in that area.

If he had done, what Bennett did...coming from basically the same high school background...small South Georgia HS, no exposure, no special training, no camps, etc...he could possibly be a generational QB. But, he wasn't willing to hang around 2 more years, to gain the experience and training, he so badly needs. That's unfortunate.

I expect, whichever team decides to take him on...will eventually convince him to move to another position. You can't have a gifted top round pick...if he indeed, does go in the first 2 rounds...ride the bench, for 3 or 4 years. That's not good business.

It would take at the very least, 2 years, to get him up to speed. Even then...turnovers could be a problem. Justin Fields and Trevor Lawrence were further ahead in development than Richardson, when they were drafted...and, both have been plagued by turnovers and pick-sixes. After 2 years...Lawrence finally broke out. Imagine Richardson on HIS current trajectory.

On the other hand, regarding BVG.......Much like Bennett and Beck...BVG is doing exactly what he needs to do, to succeed. Lol...it's like my Dad used to say..."Successful people (players) are willing to do the things that others are unwilling to do, to be the best. If it was easy...everybody would do it.". Richardson hasn't shown me that...or, I haven't seen it...one or the other. I cannot see taking him in the 1st round...2nd round, maybe.

• Options

BTW...I agree with you. Mullin was feeding the "press and the fans", snacks, to keep em at bay. But, it was over by the time he started firing people and throwing guys under the bus. Actually...it was over for him after the 2020 season....we just didn't know it yet. He was trying to get to the end of the season.

Great coach and coordinator...but, not a HC in today's "College Football World". He is personally off-putting and doesn't handle face-to-face confrontation...or the press, very well. At least that's the way I see it. He's a lot like Monkin...he'll be back.

He was wayyy behind the power curve in 2021...the press was onto it...and he knew it. His team was coming apart from within and he had nothing to add in that recruiting cycle