Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football spring breakout star Mekhi Mews ‘just a baller’

SystemSystem Posts: 11,093 admin
edited April 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football spring breakout star Mekhi Mews ‘just a baller’

ATHENS — Georgia’s Mekhi Mews showed a national television audience he has the skills to slip through elite Georgia defenders with the ball in his hands last Saturday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If Bowers sez Mees isn't a talker...

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

VEry well spoken young man!

• thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

He isn't on the depth chart though ...

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mews definitely made a "wow" impression. He's going to be an amazing player.

• PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Waffle House, because he's always open. Do I sense an NIL deal, forthcoming?

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm watching G-Day game and sayin' who is this dude? He is a baller. Small of frame but explosive..start him first game against UT Martin this fall or at least rotate him in.

• NY3TSCNY3TSC Posts: 26 ✭✭ Sophomore

Remember before the start of last season Kirby mentioned him as a return option. I was like who? Now I know.

• Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've been saying we MUST get this joker involve a lot on offense this season, which I expect we will. Those smaller guys play as hard as anyone, and this young man gave it his all Saturday. He has the ability to take it to the house every time he touches the ball. Reminds me a lot of Deuce Vaughn, the Kansas State RB, which is another small, and very talented guy. I see BIG things coming for Mr. Mews!

Championships! Let's go, baby! Let's go!

GO DAWGS!

• street0123street0123 Posts: 67 ✭✭✭ Junior

Mews, Cash Jones, Dan Jackson, Ladd, Stetson, it's really unbelievable to think that with the recruiting success UGA has had lower-level players still find a way to fight their way into some playing time. CKS should be praised for giving these lower level players opportunities and I think it can only make the more talented players better having to work to keep guys like these from taking reps rom them.

Would be neat for plays that get him out in space. KR/PR is good, but on offense what about screens - remember that in college the OL can block downfield on screens! - plus sweeps and reverses? Anything that allows him to use his quickness and elusiveness in space while protecting his 170 lb. frame from both getting jammed at the line of scrimmage by 200 pound DBs and bone-crunching full speed hits by 240 pound linebackers. He would still get tackled, but the impact is way less going after a guy running along the sideline on a reverse or screen than they would be over the middle of the field where the bigger guys would be able to measure up, get a running start and launch themselves. Targeting penalties have already eliminated the worst stuff - those legendary Ronnie Lott and John Lynch hits back in the day - but it would be great to find a way to use this fellow while still protecting him.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

DUDe is a bowling ball. It's not like he's 5'11" and 170. He like, guessing 5'4 max and 170. Built like a tank and hard to tackle by watching his film. Several times he blasts through 3-4 tacklers.

• CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 788 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby: "Very sure handed, makes good decisions ... " That is GREAT Mews news, especially if he's going to returning kickoffs and punts.

Yeah, @Olddawg76: Exactly my thought!😜

@thadec aha! @Kconnorriley hasn't done special teams year. I imagine Mews would show up there -- maybe even twice!

• truthtellertruthteller Posts: 248 ✭✭✭ Junior

Throw Mews and McConkey out there at the same time and wear the D down. They are explosive and quick. I would not want to be the one that has to cover those guys all day...

@BigDawg61

Ladd McConkey was a consensus 3 star recruit with another SEC offer (Vanderbilt) so he wasn't anywhere close to the "unheralded recruit" that everyone claims. Tons of SEC programs recruit similarly ranked players - i.e. Missouri, Kentucky (though not as much lately), South Carolina and the Mississippi schools - and heavily rely on them to regularly pan out and become starters. Even UGA used to recruit a lot more of them under Mark Richt. Richt's last batch of commits included nearly half a dozen such guys with 3 of them - Brian Herrien, Tyrique McGhee and Solomon Kindley - that went on to play huge roles for UGA, with 2 of them starting.

The "Ladd McConkey as unheralded recruit" thing was a narrative hyped up because of the Alabama thing. Injuries to their only 2 WRs with the talent to be viable in their scheme contributed to UGA beating them for the national title. Brandon Adams was instrumental in creating the counter-narrative: instead of harping on Williams and Metchie getting hurt, what about doing a better job recruiting and developing players like unheralded Ladd McConkey? And yes it went into overdrive when Jermaine Burton transferred to Bama. But it was always more narrative than truth.

A. UGA would have had no shot winning the 2021 or 2022 titles had Brock Bowers gotten injured. Alabama lost TWO guys that were just as important to their scheme.

B. there were 3-4 other guys rated similarly to McConkey in McConkey's own recruiting class, and that class was rated #1 in the nation.

Bottom line: McConkey absolutely had the recruiting rankings of a major college player. Guys with similar rankings contribute and start all the time, even in the SEC. A far better example is Tae Crowder, a 2 star RB with an even lower Rivals rating than SB IV (5.4 when he rejoined UGA out of JUCO, where Crowder was a 5.3) whom UGA turned into an NFL linebacker.