Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Winter Olympics

AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Unfortunately, my wife like the figure skating. Oh well, she watches football with me.

Comments

• MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Really enjoyed watching Women's hockey (televised on USA network). Canada vs. OAR (Olympic Athletes of Russia) which Canada won 5-0. For those of you who don't know, Canada and USA are kings in a sport where the rest of the world is trying to catch up. In 2010, Canada pummeled Slovakia 18-0. Not great for the sport, but a thrilling display of talent no less.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,882 mod

I’m bummed the NHL guys aren’t playing. Makes the men’s hockey so much less interesting

@Kasey said:
    I’m bummed the NHL guys aren’t playing. Makes the men’s hockey so much less interesting

Wow! I didn't realize they changed it. I guess stopping play for two weeks and squeezing in extra games before and after the Olympics was too great of a burden. And the Olympics only occur every four years? Come on NHL owners. Or were the fans against it too?

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2018

Hate the ice dancing. Only reason I can watch is to see the women getting flung thru the air, which isnt allowed in dance.

Just wait until the movement wins out to include same sex couples.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MarkBoknecht said:
    Really enjoyed watching Women's hockey (televised on USA network). Canada vs. OAR (Olympic Athletes of Russia) which Canada won 5-0. For those of you who don't know, Canada and USA are kings in a sport where the rest of the world is trying to catch up. In 2010, Canada pummeled Slovakia 18-0. Not great for the sport, but a thrilling display of talent no less.

This is a joke correct? there are only 8 teams entered. There are only 12 in the men's - nobody outside NA and E Europe plays; Nobody is "trying to catch up". The Winter Olympics is really only about skiing (not snowboarding) and Bob-sleigh as the true competition same as the summer is about Track and Field. The other sports are just fillers for TV - that's why ratings are so poor, not to mention that the TV focus is human interest at the expense of the actual competition.

• Dawg19Dawg19 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Denmen185 said:

@MarkBoknecht said:

This is a joke correct? there are only 8 teams entered. There are only 12 in the men's - nobody outside NA and E Europe plays; Nobody is "trying to catch up". The Winter Olympics is really only about skiing (not snowboarding) and Bob-sleigh as the true competition same as the summer is about Track and Field. The other sports are just fillers for TV - that's why ratings are so poor, not to mention that the TV focus is human interest at the expense of the actual competition.

I'd say ratings are probably poor due to the time difference, and most of the time when you watch the event has already happened.

@Denmen185 said:

@MarkBoknecht said:

I've heard this before. Just because you don't have any interest in winter Olympics or Women's hockey, don't slight us man. These women's time to shine only occurs once every four years, outside of the time that they played their college hockey. Give them their time in the spotlight.
    But I totally get it.. someone who's from Georgia and would never step foot in Canada or any part of Scandanavia. And you probably don't give a **** about curling either. That's the limits of your pathetic life. You one-dimensional freak.
    But that's okay man. I've written your name in my book.

@MarkBoknecht said:

@Denmen185 said:

@MarkBoknecht said:

I've heard this before. Just because you don't have any interest in winter Olympics or Women's hockey, don't slight us man. These women's time to shine only occurs once every four years, outside of the time that they played their college hockey. Give them their time in the spotlight.
    But I totally get it.. someone who's from Georgia and would never step foot in Canada or any part of Scandanavia. And you probably don't give a **** about curling either. That's the limits of your pathetic life. You one-dimensional freak.

You do totally get it .... WRONG!

I am from the UK and have been to Canada maybe 50+ times as well as gone skiing in the Alps. I just find it amusing that you state "the rest of the world is trying to catch up" which is a total joke as only 6 other teams are entered in the competition. I watch all sports and have played Football, Rugby, Cricket, Basketball, Badminton, Tennis for the school I attended as well as being on the Maths, Chess and Bridge teams. If that is one dimensional I would be interested to know what you consider well rounded.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2018

Just wait until the movement wins out to include same sex couples.

Blades of Glory!

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Haven't really been interested so far. Non-stop skating and snowboarding. And when they do show something else interesting, it's only for a few moments....then it's back to ice dancing for hours on end. The human interest pieces are getting tiresome as well.

@Denmen185 said:

@MarkBoknecht said:

@Denmen185 said:

@MarkBoknecht said:

I am from the UK and have been to Canada maybe 50+ times as well as gone skiing in the Alps. I just find it amusing that you state "the rest of the world is trying to catch up" which is a total joke as only 6 other teams are entered in the competition. I watch all sports and have played Football, Rugby, Cricket, Basketball, Badminton, Tennis for the school I attended as well as being on the Maths, Chess and Bridge teams. If that is one dimensional I would be interested to know what you consider well rounded.

Okay. So I got the one dimension thing wrong. But for someone who has visited Canada as often as you say you have, you ought to have a greater appreciation for the sport of hockey -- men's and women's. As for the rest of the world comment, perhaps I should have said the rest of the skating world. Would that have made you happy?
    Nonetheless, a sport which fields just eight teams or twelve teams in the olympics is no reason to dismiss it.
    But then again some snob from England would never appreciate men or women playing a game using skates and sticks.

@MarkBoknecht said:

@Denmen185 said:

@MarkBoknecht said:

@Denmen185 said:

@MarkBoknecht said:

Okay. So I got the one dimension thing wrong. But for someone who has visited Canada as often as you say you have, you ought to have a greater appreciation for the sport of hockey -- men's and women's. As for the rest of the world comment, perhaps I should have said the rest of the skating world. Would that have made you happy?
    Nonetheless, a sport which fields just eight teams or twelve teams in the olympics is no reason to dismiss it.
    But then again some snob from England would never appreciate men or women playing a game using skates and sticks.

I have no problem with Hockey, ice or field, and no problem with any sport, male or female. In fact as I said I watch all sports. I also have not resorted to personal attacks during this or any other discussion nor am I anywhere close to being a snob. I don't believe I dismissed Women's Hockey (or Men's for that matter).

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

Me and the winter Olympics:

"ZZZZZZZ 'ICE HOCKEY!!!' ZZZZZZZ"

• DawgsauceDawgsauce Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I love the Olympics!!! The competition is fun, but because of the four years between winter or summer disciplines. If it was every year, I wouldn't like it probably.

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

But when summer comes, we have SYNCHRONIZED SWIMMING and those gymnasts who couldn't make it as gymnasts doing that flag twirling thingy. Serious whiplash time for me.

• KingKirbyKingKirby Posts: 58 ✭✭✭ Junior

Mark is quite the impassioned women's hockey fanatic!

• andrews1253andrews1253 Posts: 427 ✭✭✭ Junior

@MarkBoknecht said:

@Denmen185 said:

@MarkBoknecht said:

Wow you sound like a "liberal" barking at an elephant!