Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

NFL Draft 2023: Live updates, picks, analysis for Georgia football players

13»

Comments

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2023

Yeah, my theory (and others' I'm sure) is that Blank doesn't want to owe UGA anything, would rather toil in mediocrity than create the impression that any success the Falcons may experience is thanks to contributions from the "amateur" program that's already more popular than his pro franchise to begin with. Of course, this is pure speculation. Just my best attempt at making sense of the senseless.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2023

Congrats to all the Dawg draftees!

Can't believe Stet went in the 4th...even before Chris Smith. I had Stet in the 5th Round at best. Guess I was way wrong!

Falcons are an abysmal excuse for a football team and have always been mediocre at best just like the Lions. That trend will continue. Their one lucky shot in the Super Bowl against Denver was an embarrassment.

Cheer for the Eagles or Steelers!!

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As I’ve said many times. We all can guess at where someone may get drafted. I thought KMac 40 time May push him into the 5th. But never dreamed of this. For him, he will sign tonight with a team and have the chance to show off during summer camp.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have a hunch, this is gonna be a "Statement Year" for the Birds, Ridder and Arthur Smith. I'm convinced Smith actually knows what he's doing. Lol

Their picks, unlike recent years, make sense. I am a little disappointed that they didn't take Stetson...or Washington...in the 2nd/3rd rd. Washington would've been a great fit, IMO. With Washington, Hesse and Pitts holding down the bookends in a 12 set...Smith's offense would've looked a lot like UGA's, with Washington and Bowers, over the last 2 years. IMO

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm happy for the Bulldogs who were drafted and pleased that we'll probably end up with 10 draftees.

But I'm disappointed that most of our players dropped below their ESPN's rankings.

For what it's worth, eight of our players were picked lower than their ESPN rankings. Only two (Bennett and Beal) were picked above their rankings.

I guess we can't complain about ESPN bias against UGA -- at least when it comes to pro scouting. They had our guys ranked higher than the NFL teams did.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@BigDawg61

The Falcons didn't take a DT or a TE their entire draft. What they did get was the #1 offensive player in the draft that wasn't a QB. In the 2nd round they took the highest rated OT left on the board. They took an edge in the 3rd round that was way too high for them to consider Robert Beal. Kelee Ringo was long gone when the Falcons took a QB. And as the Falcons had only 1 pick between the 3rd and 7th rounds, they lacked the ammo necessary to trade up to get Ringo.

This isn't like last year where the Falcons could have gotten Nakobe Dean if they wanted him badly enough.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The TCU QB went off the board a few picks after McIntosh BTW ...

• Options
    edited April 2023

They didn't NEED a TE or DL. They've made off season moves that address those concerns.

Turns out, Smith was right to take London, last year. They did their homework on that pick. I wasn't happy with it at the time, though. It's a new day, with Arthur Smith calling the shots. Just give him time. I think they'll be in the Playoffs, THIS year.

Personally...for the first time in a while...I'm satisfied with Atlanta's picks...and, more importantly, their direction.

No complaints here. Lol...except, maybe they should've made the same moves Philly made, on defense over the last couple of years. Half of Philly's future defense will be made up, entirely (DB, LB, DL², DE), of 5 of the best defensive players, to come out of Athens in a 2 year period....I don't know...EVER.

And....Atlanta has to face em. Lol

As far as Ringo...I'm not that convinced, that he will make it in the NFL. I hope he does and I'm pulling for him....but, my instincts tell me he'll be a "Perpetual Backup & Special Teamer", at best. I hope I'm wrong.

• Options
    PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 412 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

100% Correct-The Falcons are a Horrible organization that chose a RB over Carter. Are you Freaking kidding me that they didn't pick one Dawg. Philly and Pittsburgh are both much better organizations and have chosen 7 or 8 Dawgs over the last couple of years. NFL is still pushing way too much politics, but if the Falcons had chosen a couple of Dawgs-I may have began watching again.

• Options

Bijan Robinson will be Atlanta's next "William Andrews", mark my words. Great pick.

The Falcons didn't need another defensive down lineman. They addressed that issue last year and this year, through free agency, with money freed up, after the "Ryan move", last year. Plus...with a new Defensive Coordinator...there's no telling what pieces-parts he requested, to build HIS defense. Carter may not have fit-into the equation.

The draft is mostly about "NEEDS" and filling them with the best players available...whether through trade, FA or draft. I'd say, Atlanta's done that. IMO

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2023

"A running QB's longevity is cut in half automatically". And what about an actual RB vs another position? You refuted your own argument with your analogy on running QB's playing half as long as pocket QB's. That's why you don't take a RB high in Rd1.

Better hope Bijan is Adrian Peterson and not William Andrews. WAndrews was a 3rd rd pick that played 6 seasons. Four 1000 yd seasons. That's it. Did the Falcons win any playoff games during Andrew's time in ATL?

THAT's the point. GREAT RB's play well for 5-6 yrs. Then they fall off a cliff. A player like JCarter can be a cornerstone of a franchise for 12 years. Talk about making the most of a high draft choice. Algier has already rushed for more yards than WAndrews did in 3 of his 6 seasons.

AND very good RB's can be had throughout the draft. No NEED to take one early in the 1st rd and no NEED for the Falcons to take one early in '23. They already have a 1000 yd rusher (5th rd pick BTW).

I didn't think Falcon management could do any worse than the Dimitroff crew but this crew seems to be just as inept. They haven't even taken an SEC player in their top 4 draft choices in the last 2 seasons. While a well run team like Philly is cleaning up on SEC and UGA players.

This Falcon front office will only survive if Ridder turns out to be the 2nd coming of Matt Ryan. If he flames out this group is out and Blank will try again with a new crew.

For those puzzled by AR15 going #4. Do you realize he is 21? How good was SBIV 4 yrs ago? The question is how good will AR15 be in 4 yrs when he is as old as SBIV is now? If you are gonna take a risk then you do it with someone like AR15 who has athletic skills off the charts.

• Options
    edited May 2023

Lol...evidently, you missed my point. Let me clarify......A running QB's career trajectory, becomes exactly like a RB, due to the physicality. The only difference between a RB and a running QB, would be, that, in addition to running the ball...the QB would handle and distribute the ball on every play and becomes vulnerable to a blindside hit...vice the 15-30 touches a game seen by a RB (plus blocking).

A running QB's career is shortened to approximately the same as the RB.

If a RB has the same impact that Andrew's a Anderson had for the Falcons...they're worth the big money....all day long, in my book. And, I believe Robinson is that kind of back.

WAndrews was a 3rd rd pick that played 6 seasons. Four 1000 yd seasons.___ugadad

Dude...did you watch him play? That's all I'm gonna say on that. And, you know what I think, when it comes to stats. BTW...what was his total combined yds & TD's? Just curious.

Stats weren't as "important" back then. I mean...we kept up with em, but, you KNOW a good football player and good "team" when you see it. Nowadays, it seems like people are putting way too much weight on stats...especially, with the platooning and substituting that goes on in today's game. IMO

I'm going strictly on memory here...I'll look it up later, Lol. Anyway...if I'm not mistaken, Andrew's was part of a Playoff run, back, around '80, '81, '82, or thereabouts. All I remember clearly, is the loss to the Dallas Cowboys...in the Playoffs...when, I think it was Humphrey, was flagged for a late hit on Staubach. It was a BS call, late in the game....the Cowboys were beat....and it fed new life into Dallas. The replay confirmed, IT WAS NOT A "Late Hit"!!!

Atlanta had a helluva team that year and Madden couldn't say enough about William Andrew's. He was in love with his physicality, quickness...and, yes...hands.

Guess you can tell, that's still a sore spot with me. Lol. Especially, since I missed the 1999 NFL Playoffs due to being deployed underwater. My wife had to send me a tape of the Minnasota game. Lol

And, about AR15...IMO...if you can't pass the darn football, accurately, before your Senior season in HS....you probably never will. That's one of those things that kind of comes naturally...or, doesn't. And, from what I've seen, neither Levis, nor AR have "IT". If you want somebody that can throw a 101 mph fastball...but, can't find "the plate"...AR's your man.

Personally, I think the running QB is going away, eventually. So, if you're gonna play QB in "the league", for the next 15 yrs...you darn well better be able to do the 1 thing ALL QB's need to do well..."pass the ball accurately & take care of the football like it was your 1st born"".

• Options

Good post Man....you gave me a lot to chew on.

As for Atlanta's front office...I would've agreed with you, last year. But, after Ridder stepped in for Mariota, last year....I was satisfied, that at least the HC knows what he's doing. Ridder exceeded my expectations for him. He improved drastically, from the game against BAMA to the NFL Preseason....to his last game of the '22 season.

McGary and Mathews were also more effective than the previous year. So...I'm thinking...they're set in the "coaching department" on offense. Actually, "offense" is the ONLY thing about Atlanta that I feel comfortable with...other than Koo.

The jury's still out on the front office. IMO

I want to see if that defense has improved any from '22 to '23 under new management. They will NEVER win without a defense. Not in the playoffs

If the defense remotely looks like the past 3 or 4 yrs...I'm done. Lol. And, I certainly won't defend ANY of the picks, this administration has made.

Right now, I'm giving them the "benefit of the doubt". Smith didn't have a whole lot to work with, when he got there. I don't "get" Dan Quinn....a former DC...allowing his defense...no His team...to descend into chaos after being up 28-3 on the Pat's in the '17 Super Bowl. And, never recovered? Makes no sense. Supposedly, Blank gave him everything he wanted or needed to succeed. Smh

IMO...if Arthur Blank wants to live in the Super Bowl every year...he needs to go after Roseman...or, whatever the Philly GM's name is. Give him a blank check ('scuse the pun, Lol). He'd be buying himself a shark.

He actually reminds me of that GM, that Kevin Costner played in "Draft Day". I believe he made some of the same type moves, with regard to Carter and Chicago's rookie GM. Similar to Costner's move with the Jaguars rookie GM. Lol...talk about art imitating reality.

After reading a piece in the Chicago Tribune...i'm starting to think that maybe the Eagles GM and Todd McShay (ESPN) were in cahoots, in throwing down that initial "character smokescreen", in order to put doubt in the mind of the Bears GM. With the wreck and his Combine showing...there was just enough there on the backside, to convince them, it was risky...and, after losing 10 of their last 10 games, they couldn't afford to gamble. Rossman knew this...and, played it to the hilt.

Worked out great for Carter and the Eagles. Whatever his issues are...he's got 5 former Brothers there to help him through it. Just like Smith did during the Combine. He was Carter's coach, cheerleader, medic and spotter during the Combine. And a lot of teams noticed. Which kinda makes you wonder...why would a team needing an edge guy, pass on the likes of Smith. Smh..."overanalysis" will destroy any good plan.

Sometimes, it's best to go with your instincts..."what do you see?"...Then verify..."is it real?". When I watch Carter and Smith on film...what they do, to effect a play, is "real"...yet, that can't be verified, through stats. I can't say the same for Richardson and Levis. Lol...but, whatever...who the hell am i.

• Options
    edited May 2023

You are the expert on the Falcons. To a non fan the Falcons are the poster child for franchise mismanagement. Every year their draft's leave you scratching your head at what they were thinking. Dimitroff set the team back 5 years. Falcon's have not been a playoff team for 5 (?) yrs. With 50% playoff team turn over year to year, missing the playoffs for 5 straight yrs is hard to do. How can anyone watch the Falcons cluster flop after watching CKS methodically build UGA into perennial powerhouse? Maybe the Falcons should just draft every available UGA player every year. It couldn't be any worse than it has been.

One of the main things that turned me off to the NFL was HAVING TO watch the Falcons every week if you live in Atlanta/GA. In CFB ALL the best games are featured on TV EVERY week. As a life long pro football fan I barely watch now that I have discovered CFB. Pro football is about "entertainment" , CFB is about football. Just compare the NFL draft "event" to signing day. The "show" has become bigger than the actual sport.

I have seen Andrews play. He had 3 big seasons then got hurt (as RB's eventually do). He never averaged 5 ypc. At about the same size as Bijan he was not going to last with his running style. Bijan better be better than Andrews. And luckier.

The point is you don't take a RB at 8 who is likely to play well for only 5 yrs when you can take a 10 yr franchise cornerstone.. Unless you are Arthur Blank desperate to sell tickets to fans losing interest in to, historically, one of the worst teams in the NFL. CKS puts football first. The NFL puts making money 1st. Just like CFB, NFL games are won in the trenches. Trenches win more games, RB's sell more tickets. Dallas regretted paying Elliot big on his 2nd contract and dumped him this off season. He started declining after 5 seasons but they were locked into his contract for 2 more years.

BTW Staubach retired in '79. It was Danny White.

• Options
    edited May 2023

I can't argue with you on the Falcon front office. Lol...you're right...whether you're inside or outside observer. Call me the Perpetual Falcon optimist. Lol. But, I think the Smith Era is gonna be different.

Where...in your opinion...was a 10 yr franchise QB at the #8 slot. I'm assuming you're talking about a QB as your "franchise player"...because, there isn't a defender in the world, that can carry a team to the playoffs...although, Deion Sanders came close to being "that player" that puts a good team over the top. But, that was because he was also used as a return man.

Lol...Atlanta is nowhere near the top. They are still working on culture and identity. So, if it's gonna be "1 player"...which one would YOU choose, given what was available...and, why?

That being said....I WAS a Falcon "expert"...when I was a kid. Lol In fact I was an absolute fanatic from the age of 5, till after the Andrews years. My entire family was ecstatic when they joined the league in '65, so I was kinda raised on em. Had all their trading cards...Yada Yada yada.

You said you saw him play. Do you honestly think the Falcons would've been near as good as they were, without him? Playoffs were different back then. You didn't have 15 representatives from each Conference playing a "sudden death season". Lol. They were a Super Bowl Contender, the year Dallas knocked em out.

BTW....Do you know how long Jim Brown...the most bruising RB I've EVER seen...lasted? Do you know what his "stats" were? Just askin'...cause it don't sound like you do. 9-time Pro-Bowler that a lot of people thought retired early...at the time. He had some gas left in his tank, but, to his credit...he walked away relatively healthy and on top.

NOBODY knows how bad the Falcons front office was, more than me. I broke things in frustration over some of their decisions and lack of self awareness. I lived through the Van Brocklin Era...and 34 years of mediocrity...so, yeah, I've seen em at their "worst". And, in '99 and '17, I was fortunate to see them at their best.

As far as I'm concerned, the Falcons are on "double secret probation". Lol...if I see any of the old signs...I'm dumpin' em like yesterday's garbage.

But, I like Smith...now. Didn't know that much about him before last year. After what he did with Ridder, last year, I'm convinced he's a "real coach"...not just a figurehead. Ridder is already much better than I thought he'd be, in year one.

Bijan Robinson is the workhorse that Smith needed to fuel his offense. In Tennessee, he had Derrick Henry. Great pick.

IMO...Atlanta's biggest problem has been on the defensive side of the ball, so, I get the desire to bring in big time defensive talent, in the 1st round...but, they have so many needs on both sides of the ball. Plus...I like what they've put together, defensively, in the off-season.

I expect a much nastier defense this year with a talented offense that will improve every week.... and....join half the league in the playoffs at the end of the "regular season". Lol

• Options
    edited May 2023

@BigDawg61 I was gonna let your last post ride w/o comment. You are the Falcon expert. I barely follow them. But then you said some things that are typical BigDawg61.

Yes I have heard of Jim Brown. Played 9 seasons w/CLE back when they played 12 game seasons and players sold insurance in the off season. Completely different era and level of player. Brown physically was a man among boys. Sure Bijan COULD end up being Jim Brown but the probability of that happening is closer to 0% than it is to 25%. Just not where the smart money plays. Which again takes us back to Falcon decision making. Looking at the list of their last 10 #1 picks, most of those choices were just bad.

Franchise players can come at any position. Walter Payton, Jerry Rice, Reggie White, Lawrence Taylor, all immediately come to mind. White played 15 NFL seasons after starting in the USFL. Rice played 20 NFL seasons. But again you "massaged" what I said to try and make your point. I said "franchise cornerstone" not franchise player. There is a difference. A cornerstone is a bedrock player you build the current team around. '22 UGA is a perfect example of a team with multiple cornerstones. Bowers, Carter, Ringo, OL and yes SBIV.

Jalen Carter, if/when he matures, is a franchise cornerstone player to anchor the DL trenches for 10+ seasons. Grady Jarrett is not going to play forever. He has already played 8 years and makes a ton of money. He could be replaced (at some point) by Carter and his money could buy multiple RB's in FA. That's how the NFL works.

Logic dictates that you don't draft a RB at 8. If you did more teams would do it. They don't because the probability for success beyond a few years is low. Drafting high is a chance to add a cornerstone player that plays, at a high level, more than 10 yrs.

I get it. You are PollyAnna. Bijan is Jim Brown. But you also said Marcus Washington Jr (and UGA) was smart for skipping his SR yr of HS to enter UGA early because "he could be LeBron James or Kobe Bryant". The chances of that happening were virtually nil. He wasn't and now, 1 yr later, he is gone.

There were 3 OT's available that would've help Ridder stay clean and a cornerstone DT with ALL Pro potential there for the taking at 8. Could've even traded down 3 spots, picked up an extra pick and still gotten one of those 4. Falcons could've traded down 5 places gotten 2 extra picks and STILL have 1 of those 5 choices (JC, 3 OT's maybe even Bijan!) to pick. THAT's how the NFL works.

Bijan may be great. He will be fun to watch. But now a 1000 yard RB (Algiers) has to ride the bench. The probability of any RB being impactful in the NFL goes down every year after yr 5. RB's take a beating. They just don't last long.

• Options
    edited May 2023

Lol...NO....I "was" a Falcon expert. I'm right there with you and everybody else, now. They have almost turned me against pro football.

Let me start out by saying...I still think Washington did the right thing. He received a graduate course in football and physical conditioning under Smart, Mushamp and Schumann. That's really, "the opportunity of a lifetime" for any young DB, otherwise i would've agreed with you.

He got more training in 12 months than he would've gotten in 4 years in most other places. He's ready to start for somebody next year...else...he would just be getting out of HS if he hadn't reclassified.

Looking at the list of their last 10 #1 picks, most of those choices were just bad.___GD

Lol...you could've gone back a lot further than that my friend. Like I said...I can't dispute the "front office" hit. They've been abysmal. Profitt...Pat Sullivan...TJ Duckett...the list is long and deep. Seems like EVERY RB they've picked early, has been a bust. They've actually done okay with drafting OL's and QB's....till recently.

ATL....When they had players...they didn't have coaching...when they had coaching...didn't have players. Story of the Falcons. Lol

I indeed, may be wrong on this one...but, I DO believe Bijan is a different animal. I love the way he fights for yardage, when he has to...and can throw down some moves and turn on the gas when he has the opportunity. Not to mention good hands and vision. And....HE'S tough! IMO

Remember...he was running behind a relatively average, young, offensive line and Texas didn't have much in the depth department. Their offensive line wasn't doing Ewers or Robinson any favors, in the games I saw. Lol...if you want to blast somebody for taking a RB...you need to go after the team that took Jamyr Gibbs.

As far as Brown goes. Yeah...I was trying to make a point. The point is that you can't put EVERY running back in the 4-5 year category...any more than you can say all QBs last 15 years...cause they don't.

The RBs and QBs coming out, these days are facing ferocious defenders that are bigger and more athletic than EVER. The game has changed more in more ways than advertised. Teams are going to have to start carrying at least 2 starting QBs and RBs with the usual number of backups.

Look how many QBs and RBs go down to injury every year...derailing a teams season and playoff hopes....IF, they don't have depth in the backfield. And, that's WITH the rules changes designed to protect them.

With the franchise thing...what I was asking, is...Which of the players would you have picked as a "difference maker" for a perennial non-playoff team in rebuild mode? And, why?

I know there are many, and Carter was just one. I wouldn't have griped with a lockdown Tackle...IF...Atlanta was still sporting Matt Ryan or some other pocket-passer. But, that's not their style of offense...anymore. They'll wind up looking a lot like the Titans did, a few years ago, under Smith.

BTW...I just like talking football with somebody that knows something about it. I'm not coming "at you" or anything. I enjoy the conversation and I've got an open mind. Lol. Thanks.

Go Dawgs!!!!!

• Options

BTW...Drake London turned out to be an outstanding pick...although I was very unhappy with it, at the time. Lol

• Options

@UGADad20 ....I just read this on ESPN's website. I thought I'd share it with you. It's a pretty good take on what I believe the Falcon offense is gonna look like with Robinson in it. They gave Atlanta high marks on that pick.

You might want to climb back in the bird nest. Lol...just kidding.

Paolo Uggetti: I know taking running backs in the first round, let alone the top 10, is not en vogue, but Bijan Robinson is not just any running back. Robinson is easily one of the best prospects at the position in recent years, and the Atlanta Falcons are getting a dynamic player who will impact their team right away out of the backfield and as a receiver, too. For the third year in a row, the Falcons have taken a playmaker with a high ceiling following the selection of wide receiver Drake London last year and Kyle Pitts the year before. Atlanta is slowly building a really intriguing offense with a potential for plenty of explosive plays. Now if they could only find a franchise quarterback ...

• Options
    edited May 2023

@BigDawg61

"I love the way he fights for yardage" the thing you love may be what puts him in the category of the 5-6 yr productive back. Your statement reminded me of how Franco Harris was criticized for running out of bounds. He took a lot of criticism, some from Jim Brown himself, for running to the sideline. But he had a 13 (12 really) yr career of which 10 were relatively successful. Franco was big (6'2" 230) and fast but not known for fighting for yardage. One of the reasons he lasted as long as he did. Different era though. LB's were smaller in that era.

Never said Bijan wasn't a good player just that the odds for a longer career for a franchise cornerstone player, picked at 8, statistically was more likely at another position. When you pick that high you want to make the most of it. Bijan played 31 games at TX. Had 599 touches. That is about 20 touches per game. There is already some tread off those tires.

Jury still out on Drake London. 12 ypc, less than 1000 yrds as the primary offensive weapon last season doesn't justify his selection at 8. This year will be key to see how much he has improved. Not sure Pitts can even be the same type of player in the NFL as he was at FU. His last season at FU was charmed. He made every contested catch. Will be tougher to do vs NFL DB's. Personally I think the Falcons should've taken Fields that year. Not sure we'll ever see the best of Fields after the beating he has taken in 2 yrs in Chicago. But his 2nd year stats are on par with Hurts, Tua or Mac Jones 2nd season stats. Fields was a better player than CJ Stroud who went 2nd this yr.

Lions got an "F" in the few draft reviews that I saw. You don't take Gibbs at 12 when you can get him much later. Jimmy Johnson built a dynasty in Dallas using the system this way.

After watching Jerry Jones mismanage the Cowboys and waste the careers in Dallas of Tony Romo, Jason Witten, and Demarcus Ware (HOF '23) I will be watching this Falcon management group and what they do with and around a franchise RB.