Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Mellow Mushroom?

Old_lady_dawg_fanOld_lady_dawg_fan Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A year or two ago, I went into a pizza place and immediately flashed on a place in Athens in the 70s. (Psychedelics and all.) After taking my college son to one in Lynchburg, Va.this week, I looked up the Athens location which says it's only been there 10 years and looks a bit upscale. What I'm remembering was a bit of a dive with great pizza and cheap beer by the pitcher. Did the place cycle back around as a chain or is this "new" place completely unrelated? I also have fond memories of DaVinci's RIP.

Comments

• CigarDawgCigarDawg Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My roommate used to work at DaVinci's for Sander (Sandro). Rocky's Pizza was on Clayton, but Gumby's was my favorite. For every 10 pizza box coupons you clipped you got a free one.

I think you 're remembering the Mellow Mushroom that moved into a former Wendy's space on Broad Street around '89/'90 that had the "sun room" section that jutted out onto the curb where the outdoor seating is now. I believe it is the space on the right in thephot that is Now Dooley's.

The location they are in now is just too shiny and "corporate" for my taste, though I loved it when Compadres was there.

• Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Remember Sonny’s Pizza and T.K. Harty’s?

Some infamous history there but GREAT places to hang out with friends and a cold beverage or three!!

• DawgsauceDawgsauce Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Rockys was the first time I had decent pizza. I was raised on trash pizza, and just didn't know it, lol. I'm a pizza snob now. Gumbys had some kind of coupon deal for a 6 dollar extra large delivered. They never asked for the coupon and so I ate quite a few of those weekly.

• HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2023

I grew up on Mellow Mushroom (during HS we frequented the location on Buford Hwy. in Doraville), but, for me, DaVinci’s DEFINED the Athens pizza scene… deep dish Sicilian with pitchers of Long Island Iced Tea (after most home games)! 😎

edited May 2023

IDK precisely when… but the Athens location was the first outside of the Atlanta area…

• CigarDawgCigarDawg Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Who remembered that Pee Wee was a "Florida Man"? Don't order the white pizza there 😮

• GradyDawg85GradyDawg85 Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Specifically, Everybody’s before the row of shops it was in burned and it reemerged as a fern bar

• flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I remember when "Your Pie" opened here in Fleming Island and I told one of my sons that from the way we were being treated and the draft beer they had that it had to be a Dawg place. I asked and the guy running the show said they stated in Athens. Went in one time ordered beer and pizza and the power went out. We got more beer and when it came time to pay the Manager said without power, he couldn't charge us. So, knowing he couldn't charge us he gave us a second beer. Haven't been back in a while but definitely treated great back when we did.

• BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The "grease" is butter fat from deliciously large quantities of melted whole milk mozzarella. Annoying to some but I li-li-liked it.

• Old_lady_dawg_fanOld_lady_dawg_fan Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • BangersBangers Posts: 825 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I meant to add that Freshman and Sophomore year I frequented Gumby's. They were pretty lax on their carding requirements and we played pool there with a pitcher or two pretty frequently until the place was shut down and/or I discovered No Where Bar. I had a friend that really took that whole coupon on the box thing to the extreme... he would regularly jump into the dumpster in the parking lot and raid it for boxes and snag the trashed coupons. The experience seemed to have been impactful and he ended up deciding he was going to build a better pizza box and came up with a few different prototypes. Nothing took off, but his innovative bent served him well and he did end up making a bunch of money post graduation in the stock market.

My favorite thing about Gumby's was the pepperoni rolls. My favorite local place (Vito's) doesnt have them on the menu (not a thing up here), but they make them for me special request. Any time I call and order them, they know who I am and they cheer something in Italian with excitement when I arrive to pick them up. Their pizza is good, but that is why its my favorite place :)

• BumBum Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2023

This thread makes me think about Athens restaurants we frequented when I was in school in the early 80’s... Chow Goldstein’s — Jewish Deli and Chinese food — together! 🤣 We loved that place. Cheap food and large portions. Perfect for college men! 😎

Edit: I can’t recall the name… there was a place with a train engine logo near the freshman dorms… $1 beer pitchers… bad food. And, of course, Papa Joe’s… old location, next to the coin laundry…