Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football podcast: Here’s why ESPN’s evaluation of UGA’s QB situation might be wrong

SystemSystem Posts: 10,706 admin
edited May 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football podcast: Here’s why ESPN’s evaluation of UGA’s QB situation might be wrong

Georgia football is the No. 1 topic every day on DawgNation Daily — the daily podcast for fans of the national champion Georgia Bulldogs. Catch up on everything happening with UGA athletics with host Brandon Adams and the DawgNation experts as they break down the latest Georgia football recruiting news and discuss coach Kirby Smart’s quest to keep the Bulldogs on top of the college football world. On episode No. 1,945 (May 11, 2023) of the podcast, Georgia fans can hear a discussion about what an ESPN writer recently said about where things stand for the Bulldogs’ ongoing quarterback competition involving Carson Beck and Brock Vandagriff.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CDDawgsCDDawgs Posts: 60 ✭✭✭ Junior

Agree. It has been settled. Beck is the starter and it is not close. He will remain the starter unless he makes boneheaded decisions or costs us games with his play. CKS is not one to wait for catastrophe. I do think we will see multiple QBs in the 3rd&4th quarters.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"I’m not sure that’s necessarily the case based on the events of spring practice."___BA

You're putting far too much weight on "Spring Practice"...considering, "The apparent Guy", coming out of Spring...isn't always "The Guy" starting the final game. Particularly on Kirby's team.

If Beck is "The Guy"...Kirby will take Him to SEC Media Days in Hoover. If undecided...we'll see if Kirby does what he's always done...bob & weave. He won't confirm or deny. Lol

My guess is, Bobo will design a package for each QB...Stockton included. We may see a dual-QB system, for the first time since David Greene and DJ Shockley played. Under Mark Richt and Mike Bobo...no less. Remind me who the OC is, again. I believe Kirby Smart was also a Coach on that team. The signs are there...and, all 3 QBs are capable.

If you start Beck...how do you not play BVG? If you start BVG...how do you not play Beck? This is going to be fun to watch.

• Options
    jvillebiljvillebil Posts: 171 ✭✭✭ Junior

I believe Beck will start as we play 4 B-teams to start and he should thrive. But if he doesn't Vandergriff will get his shot. I believe though Beck will be a success and Vandergriff will see plenty of action in the 3rd and 4th quarters.

• Options
    edited May 2023

All QBs make occasional "boneheaded decisions". I haven't seen a "Perfect QB", yet.

The question is...will he learn from them...or, repeat them. That goes for every position on the field, actually. But, we're talking about quarterbacks, right now.

Both Beck and BVG are upperclassmen, now. They aren't "babes in the woods", anymore. Whichever quarterback takes control of "The room" and "the huddle"...will lead the team. You can't take control of "The room" or "the huddle", if the team doesn't respect your work ethic and performance.

IMO...That will ultimately decide which QB starts. "Team Chemistry".

• Options
    CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 127 ✭✭✭ Junior

@BigDawg61

That dual QB system with Greene and Shockley cost us a national championship. I've never been a big Stetson fan but there was a reason Kirby stuck with him when he was throwing terrible pick-sixes while we were getting blown out in the SEC Championship Game. There can only be one

• Options
    edited May 2023

Lol...there was actually, only one pick-6..

And, Stetson DID score 24 points...which should have been enough, if the defense had played to the same level, they played, all season long.

It wasn't a "blowout", IMO. And, it wasn't all Bennett's fault...which is why replacing him with Daniels would have been a worse move, than leaving Bennett in. There's NO WAY Daniels would've been able to avoid the BAMA pass rush. No way. If not an increased number of interceptions...**** sacks would've doubled with Daniels.

Okay...this I gotta hear. How, pray tell, did the 2-QB system cost UGA a Natty...or, anything else...in 2004?

In 2004, UGA finished the AP Poll at #6. They were beaten by a very good Tennessee team (14-19), that finished at #12 in the AP poll...and, an even better Auburn team (6-24), that finished the season at #2.

IMO...you can't measure or judge the early "Mark Richt Bulldogs" teams, against the "Kirby Smart Bulldogs" teams. It was a different era for UGA. The next year, they would tie their own record for consecutive "10 WIN" seasons. We were just happy, they were finally "winning consistently". But, UT, UF, AUB and LSU owned that period.

In 2004, UGA wasn't nearly as stacked with talent as they are now...or, as stacked, as the 4 teams previously mentioned...but, Richt was putting it all together.

Bottom line is...the "dual-QB System" didn't cost them a single point or game in 2004. But, it sure made a lot of Fans unhappy. Fans don't generally like a 2-QB System....cause it detracts from the hero...or, whichever QB the fans like the most. The team is usually fine with it...in fact supports it, if you really have 2 deserving QBs.

For sake of discussion....Daniels/Bennett could've probably worked, if used selectively. But, I think Daniels may have been injured worse than anybody knew. After that 1st year (2020) with both being injured off and on...Bennett just kind of took off with it, the next year.

Bennett was doing a lot of what Daniels brought to the table, along with talents Daniels didn't possess...hence, no need for dual-QB.

A lot of people see Beck as the Pocket Passer and BVG as the dual threat gunslinger. Unless one closes the gap with the other on their weak area...dual-QB would capture each guy's talent.

It's not like BVG can't throw the ball...but, he has to get quicker...and better...with his decision-making. Unconventional release on the ball, which may be the cause of his accuracy problems. THAT...and foot placement. Basically...his throwing mechanics needs some work.

Beck has to improve his pocket presence and feel. He has plenty of poise, but he needs to drink a bottle of whatever Bennett drank, to have that 6th sense with regard to pressure and pocket movement, while keeping his eyes downfield. I love his release on the football. He has NFL "arm talent"...the question is, can he raise the level of the rest of his game.

Both these guys have the makings of a great quarterback. Together.

• Options

@BigDawg61

Pray tell I'm not talking about 2004. I'm taking about the year before(?) when we had only 1 loss in the FLA game that Shockley threw a pick-six and we lost the game by 7. That cost us a national championship. If you're losing at any point in a game 41-17 that's a blow out. If you're going to smug you should probably be a little smarter

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Forgive BigDawg… I think he sometimes forgets that he’s forgotten more about Georgia football than our pea brains will ever possess the capability to even retain. 🙄

• Options
    edited May 2023

@CClayC88

"That dual QB system with Greene and Shockley cost us a national championship."____cclayc88

2004 was the year Richt went all-in on the "2 QB System". If you weren't talking about 2004...then we aren't talking about the same thing.

Just as a reminder...UGA "Lost" the 2003 SECCG (34-13) to an LSU Team that was coached by none other, than...Nick Saban (HC), Jimbo Fisher (OC) and Will Muschamp (DC). Close one, huh. They finished THAT season ranked #7. That darned 2-QB System. Lol

So what, if Shockley threw a pick-6 in a game the year before. What the hell does that have to do with the "2-QB System". At the end of the day...Shockley was actually a better overall quarterback than David Greene and deserved to play.

If Richt had replaced Green (the Sr. Hero) with Shockley (RSo), it may have provoked a mutiny...cause Greene was a helluva QB, too...and, also deserved to play. Each guy brought something different to the table and worked great "together". No egos.

True 41-17, would be a blowout...if that's how the game ended. But, that's not the case...and, if you're a Dawg or Football fan, you know that wasn't the case in the example you cite...2021 SECCG. It ended 41-24...with 10-14 Bama points, being attributed to turnovers, due to the offense pressing...which they hadn't had to do, all season long. It was a lot closer than the score would indicate.

FYI...I believe that game is the reason why Kirby pulled back some on the Offense & Defense, in certain games, during the 2022 season. To create a little adversity, so that there wasn't a repeat of that 2021 SECCG performance. It paid off against OSU.

If the Dawgs had "blown" everybody "out" during the 2022 season, they would not have been ready for the adversity they faced in the CFP Semi-Final...which coincidentally, was similar to the adversity they faced against Bama, the year before. This time, with a little luck and determination...they persevered.

The flow of that 2021 SECCG, was decided by a UGA Defense that appeared to be recovering from a bout with the flu and uncharacteristically gave up the "Big Play". Oh, yeah...guys on both sides of the ball were just recently recovered from an illness that swept through the locker room just 2 weeks prior. I give em "a pass" on that game. It was an anomaly, that may never be fully explained. But...it wasn't a blowout...it just seemed that way, if you watched it...as a Dawg Fan. Lol

• Options
    edited May 2023

Lol...you said it. At least I don't try to pretend to know something "I don't". If I don't know...I'll look it up or tell you I don't know.

Moreover...if I'm "WRONG"...i'll say so and I don't take it as a personal blow to my ego, as some on here seem to. You have to walk on egg-shells to keep from offending the "sensitive Dawgs fans". Lol

How 'bout you...there, @Ddavis0777 ?

Go Dawgs! Especially you Diamond Dawgs. Big weekend coming up for the Baseball and Softball teams, starting Thursday.

• Options

BTW...I don't know if you guys are interested...below, I posted an article on Bennett's progress in LA, that I ran across on "Fan-Sided". Pretty good article...unbiased and accurate.

https://fansided.com/2023/05/18/stetson-bennett-rams-first-throws-practice-reactions/

• Options

@BigDawg61

2002 season we went 13-1. Only loss to Florida. In a game Greene started but Richt was letting Shockley play a couple of series a game. He throws a pick six in the game. We lose by 7(Also the T. Edwards drop game). We beat Arkansas 30-3 in SECCG. If we only play Greene that season we are playing for (and winning) a national title. Remember that.

Also the 24 points in the SECCG was well below our season average but I guess that's the defenses fault too

• Options
    edited May 2023

Richt did...what everybody wanted Smart to do with Fields, to appease him. Remember that. Lol

Okay...which season do you want to discuss? Lol...Like I said, Richt didn't go all-in on the dual-quarterback system, till the 2004 season. Shockley's career speaks for itself. And, So does Greene's.

And, BTW...if Richt had not done that...Shockley WOULD have transferred, just like Fields did. Who would've led the Dawgs to their 2005 SECC and shot at "The Title"...Terishinski? Joe Cox? Lol

• Options

@BigDawg61

What would you rather the Dawgs have done? Play in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl for a national title or play in the 2005 SEC Championship Game? Come on man stop embarrassing yourself

• Options

@BigDawg61

Sounds like you would have rather had DJ Shockley as a starter for 1 season than a national title. Wow

• Options

You're putting wayyy too much weight on one pass in one game...to create some absurd argument against a "2-QB System". It's not a logical conclusion. IMO. In either case...a 2003 Natty...or, against the "2 QB System".

But, to each his own. Lol

• Options

Name the 2 QB system that has worked in the NFL or college. There's a reason why NOBODY does it

• Options
    edited May 2023

I'm not saying it's a great option for any team...unless you have 2 or 3 starting QBs. Then...it depends on the experience and maturity of the "team". Are they capable of supporting 2 QBs with 2 separate packages.

It's high maintenance...but, there can be big returns, too. If done right. I didn't particularly like the way Richt did it. And, I wouldn't consider it myself...unless I had the likes of Beck, Vandergriff and Stockton, in the QB Room with Raiola on the way...and a top 5 defense to hold the line.

If I had what Kirby and Bobo have...I would start Beck, and run up the 1st half score. Turn the ball over to BVG and the running game, in the 2nd half...and eat up clock, while building OL/RB/WR experience (depth).

If the opposition stifles the Beck "downfield passing game" in the 1st half...bring in BVG to spread the defense out and create some one-on-one opportunities. Maybe, in that instance...bring Stockton in, sometime in the 2nd half, to close it out...and..."gain experience".

Lol...it's a pretty good position to be in, as an OC. But, it has to be handled delicately, to operate at resonance. If you can't do that, it's best to stay with the tradition single-QB. Otherwise, it could turn out bad. I've got confidence in Smart's connection with the players and Bobo's ability to manage the offense...else, I would never suggest it.

I believe Steve Spurrier ran out of the 2-QB System with Dean and Weurffel, before settling on the latter, the following year. Mostly because of Dean running his mouth to the press (maturity).

UF and Mullin used Richardson and what's-his-name, in 2021, before settling on Richardson in 2022.

UGA and Dooley used the 2-QB System in '74 or '75, with Ray Goff and I believe it was Andy Johnson (or something like that). Took em to a hard earned SEC Championship, in a tough Conference.

Those are just a few off the top of my head. I'm sure it was used sparingly in the NFL at some point. But, can't remember who it was, right now.

IMO...The NFL is a lot different, anyway...due to the longterm contracts and long playing careers of QBs. They aren't dealing with a QB turnover, every 2 or 3 years, like the College game. It doesn't make sense for any NFL Team to go dual-QB for a long period of time. Maybe for a season, till they figure out direction.

Honestly...the way I see it...if College Football and the NFL continue to embrace the "running quarterback"...they may eventually have to go to a "Dual-QB System" out of self preservation. Running Quarterbacks tend to get injured more frequently with shorter playing careers than their pocket-passing colleagues. Lol...Michael Vick was used up after only 3 seasons. Where's Cam Newton, these days. On the flip side...Brady lasted over 20 years, Ryan lasted 15, Manning...about 16 or 17, Farve...forever.