Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

BREAKING: 5-star LB Sammy Brown commits to Clemson, shuts down his recruitment

SystemSystem Posts: 10,463 admin
edited June 2023 in Article commenting
imageBREAKING: 5-star LB Sammy Brown commits to Clemson, shuts down his recruitment

Want to attack every day with the latest Georgia football recruiting info? That’s the Intel. This rep has the latest with 5-star LB target Sammy Brown. He ranks as the nation’s No. 2 LB and the No. 14 overall prospect for 2024 on the 247Sports Composite ratings.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MACDAWGMACDAWG Posts: 259 ✭✭✭ Junior

Disappointing. I hope we get to play them when he is a starter and bring the thunder. I bet Clemson told him, don't you dare visit UGA next weekend, ha. I will give them credit, they must have done a really good job with him. We'll be ok and better than OK, we have some really good options.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Best of luck young man.. DAWGS will be fine without him..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fact that he wasn't at our big weekend spoke volumes. Besides, when God speaks, you probably ought to listen. Oh well, one less thing to worry about. Hopefully Riddick, Phillips, et al will see the grass truly is greener in Athens. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Posts: 163 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited June 2023

Best of luck to the kid. He's very self aware. He could read the temperature in the room and knew he wouldn't start till his junior or senior season playing for the best team in the SEC. He can go start at the best team in the ACC which is the equivalent to the 5th.6th, or 7th best in the SEC. It kind of reminds me of Dallas Turner recruitment over at Alabama. It centered around development and winning a Natty. Looks like he's gone get one of the the 2 before heading to the NFL. Sammy's gone understand the difference when they play the Dawgs his freshman year.

• Options
    MACDAWGMACDAWG Posts: 259 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited June 2023

I think he was due for his official next weekend. Next weekend is big too.

So he canceled based on his commitment to Clemson today.

• Options
    10DAWG10DAWG Posts: 254 ✭✭✭ Junior

It feels to me a lot like Arch Manning, always wanting him, but then relieved when UGA didn't get him. The chemistry seems really good right now, so let's keep it that way. I think you want players that want to play in the best conference.

• Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 415 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Probably a good move for him. He'll play at Clemson. At UGA he'll be another Nate McBride who had similar measurables but just couldn't crack through.

• Options
    PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

We only want men that desire to be Dawgs. Sweeney will never rise to Kirby's level and guess what Sammy-Kirby is only in the first act. I hope we get to play this kid in the future- Kirby never forgets.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2023

Good comparison, McBride may have even been a step or two faster than Brown out of HS. But, as you said, McBride couldn't quite make his way into the rotation at LB, and ended up being a good special teams player for UGA..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 218 ✭✭✭ Junior

Clemson had 8 kids drafted in the past two years. 2 of them were LBs (1 each year).

Compare that to UGA.

Kid is going to have to develop himself.

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 382 ✭✭✭ Junior

Been hearing riddick is going to decommit soon.

• Options
    BarkingDawgBarkingDawg Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Clemson is afraid of letting these guys get other official visits. Same with Barrett Carter. High pressure, jump now before you look tactics with minors

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Posts: 163 ✭✭✭ Junior

I heard that too. I hate this current climate we are in. There is no loyalty to your state. I get it he is probably looking to stay home. Can't say that about the 2 knuckle heads from GA that signed with the Tide last cycle.

• Options
    brvhrtbrvhrt Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

Can’t be mad when a kid wants to blaze his own path. How many high-level out-of-state players has UGA taken (which means they “spurned” their home state) over the years?

Also…tighten things up a little, Jeff.

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Holding on to Riddick is more critical than ever now.

Brown was always a long shot, he'll do well at Clemson, but our ILB room will be fine.

• Options
    NorthHallDawgNorthHallDawg Posts: 81 ✭✭✭ Junior

Everyone has to choose his or her path... As they say... 9 and 3 in the ACC...

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited June 2023

Good grief. A bunch of big men on here attacking 17 year olds. Never mind that this kid's background and skill set appears to be best suited for the 4-3 scheme that Clemson runs. UGA meanwhile runs a 3-4. It happens all the time. Jalen Hurts was a spread high school QB - for his father - and could never really pick up the pro style offense that Alabama was running. So he goes to Oklahoma to run the spread for Lincoln Riley and the rest is history. Meaning "he just signed a contract with $180 million in guaranteed money" history.

Not every scheme or situation is the best fit for every player. It is a good thing when players figure that out during recruiting and not a bad one. If he had come to UGA and discovered that he wasn't a 3-4 linebacker after all, he would have hit the portal anyway, except then he would have wasted a year or two in a scheme that isn't fit for him meaning that he would only have a short time to go somewhere else, learn a scheme that does and get on the field. And who would that have benefited?

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm sure he wants to get on the field d as a FReshman. I doubt that was going to happen at UGA. CAn't argue with a man who says he's prayed about it for months and then makes his decision. Good luck!

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 933 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Best of luck Mr. Brown....you'll do well in the ACC.....might be a bit tough coming home to Jefferson for the next 3-4 years.