Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Alternate Dawgs uniforms and the helmet Vince Dooley almost picked

SystemSystem Posts: 10,490 admin
edited July 2023 in Article commenting
imageAlternate Dawgs uniforms and the helmet Vince Dooley almost picked

Another recruiting picture with the white Georgia helmet showed up this week.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    WildmanSlayerWildmanSlayer Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior

The black Jersey look's great, but on a hot sunny day, a black shirt should never be worn, anyone that has been out in the summer heat knows dark colors increases the heat, going with a white jersey would be their best bet, unless it's a cold day.

• Options
    RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 175 ✭✭✭ Junior

I obviously like the red pants.

• Options
    BillKingBillKing Posts: 62 ✭✭ Sophomore

My friend Bill Hartman points out another tweak through the years. The "G" on the side of the helmet has gotten smaller. He'd like to see it back at the size pictured here, and I agree with him.

• Options
    ChopperChopper Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am cool with some tweaks but just not as a last minute gimmick like we did a few times. You are motivating both teams when you do that.

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 277 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm one old timer who thinks the kids are right about the "all whites". The red and black helmet stripes and the black numbers with red piping are quite pretty. I've never liked the red pants for any occasion. You may not agree, but in a poll (of one), I am considered to have an impeccable sense of aesthetics.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Traditional Uniforms are the best. Maybe the Silver Britches occassionally. I wouldn't mind bringing back the black uniforms for future home playoff games when we have those. They would look great in colder weather at Sanford in December. Outside of that just keep them for recruiting or have a rule around them like only for home games against Auburn. The problem now though is Auburn is earlier in the year when it is hot so not a good idea on that. We could also do the same thing for Tennessee at home since that is later in the year now and would only be every 4 years in the future schedule since Tennessee is not going to be one of our permanant 3 teams.

I do like the black uniforms but think they need to be rarely used (so every 2 to 4 years). To not use them though is a little overreactionary on Kirby's part. The uniforms do not determine the game.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2023

As long as we aren't using gimmicks instead of recruitment, development, team chemistry, and hard work I don't care much about our uniforms. I will trust in Kirby to keep it between the ditches when we're Between the Hedges. I'm pretty sure Kirby mostly wants to win games. Towards that end distractions are detrimental.

Ghetto Power Ranger uniforms and/or anything else pushed by Nike, television networks, and anyone who doesn't have strong connections with Athens and our Dawgs should always be excluded from consideration.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    78Dawg78Dawg Posts: 167 ✭✭✭ Junior

Stop with the change to the unis. Our current colors are the best in the NCAA. Leave them alone.

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

as a casual fan of Oregon, I’ll take notice of their 10 different combinations every year But how do you build consistency with all those wardrobe changes

adapting to a culture is fine, but never forget your past. As long as a combo is consistent, they shouldn’t be a distraction

I prefer the red and silver kit

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My first reaction to seeing the top picture is that its of a Miami Hurricanes helmet.

I have no problems with experimenting and adjusting the color scheme (although I DO appreciate seeing teams like Bama that are ultra-consistent), but to me there were a couple of mistakes we've had in the past:

1) Using the Black uniforms became a superstition thing like a good luck charm. That's why I think Smart doesn't like them. I would personally be fine if they wanted to use them on a home game 1x per year as a fun thing, NOT as a good luck thing.

2) You don't agree to do something like wear the 2011 Nike Pro Combats without seeing it first. Those uniforms were definitely not us.

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like Silver Britches.😛 And call me a homer if you want, but I truly do think our football unis and helmet are the best looking out there. Just a classy look. Hard to tinker with perfection.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like the current uniforms now that they have the block numbers. As good or better than anything out there. Tradition over style but you know kids these days. Maybe black jerseys and/or white helmets in a meaningless OOC or bowl game occasionally.

No mention of the dawg bones. UGA had bones on their helmets for a while then they didn't and don't.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2023

Like Bill King...I have a unique perspective on the story of the "G". John Donaldson was my HS Coach and I've heard the story from Anne, as well. There is a little known supplement to the story of the "G", that may interest some of you. Below is an excerpt from a story done by the "UgaWire/USA Today"....

"So we have the family of a third generation Georgia football letterman, Kirby Matthew Towns, whose father, grandfather and great grandfather may be responsible for the nationally-recognized Georgia logo. Let’s give credit to the Green Bay Packers for the original logo, the Greenwood High Emeralds and Rye High School Garnets for taking it to the prep level and to the Georgia Bulldogs’ for taking the Red & Black Power “G” to an iconic level."____ugawire/USA Today

NOTE: Oddly, they seem to have left Grambling out of this part of the story.

At the time, Copyright protection wasn't granted for "single letters"...so, nobody was ever in any real jeopardy of copyright violation. And, the Green Bay "G" was not exactly the same as Georgia's. However, that would change over time, as the Packers would gradually mold their "G" to more closely resemble UGA's.

You can read the whole story at the following link...

https://ugawire.usatoday.com/2019/04/04/who-had-the-power-g-logo-first-green-bay-packers-georgia-football-grambling-or-was-it-rye-high/

• Options

To UGADad20: I didn't like the bone stickers on the helmets. I thought they junked the helmets up and ruined the look. Leave that to the likes of Ohio State.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bill...did you go to WCHS? And, if so...what Class? If you don't mind my asking.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Absolutely NO to the white helmets. They look too much like albarn.

• Options
  • Options
    1946Dawgshappened1946Dawgshappened Posts: 66 ✭✭✭ Junior

Do you feel the same way about the Dooley era star award decals on the helmet? I never like the bones but I loved the stars.

• Options

to 1946Dawgshappened: Yeah, I wasn't crazy about the stars, either. I just don't like cluttering up the helmet like that.