Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

NIL deals help fuel supercharged cars involved in Georgia football speeding incidents

SystemSystem Posts: 10,460 admin
edited July 2023 in Article commenting
imageNIL deals help fuel supercharged cars involved in Georgia football speeding incidents

ATHENS — Kirby Smart is eager to kick Georgia’s offseason speeding issues to the curb, but the two-time CFP championship coach has yet to figure out how to get that done.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2023

Limit the HP of the car until they turn 21.. You get caught the 1st time violating that law, make defensive driving school mandatory and a hefty fine( they can afford it with NIL deals now). You get caught a 2nd time, automatic 1 year license suspension, another heavy fine, driving school, probation , license re-instatement fee, and watch films that show the results of high speed crashes.It's ridiculous to see an inexperienced teenage driver behind the wheel of a 700+ HP vehicle. You don't see many 18 year olds that race pro, that are capable of handling a car with that high HP. Most have attended numerous driving/racing schools, and driving courses to gain racing experience..not on a public highway.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You cannot create separate laws for certain classes of people. You either change the law for everyone or you live with the current laws.

As far as having the team sign agreement statements on speeding and other behavior that is normally covered anyways under university rules. You cannot have separate rules and punishment only for people who play sports. Otherwise you get yourself in legal trouble.

If the AJC and other journalists want more punishment they should start with getting the law changed for everyone. Otherwise, they should just close the hole underneath their noses.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“I don’t have the exact answer. I wish I did. But we’ll continue to work at it."......Coach Smart, the problem will never instantly be solved. It'll take coaching every player everyday, soaking them to the bone in the culture that you have established. From my vantage, The University of Georgia is a leader and because you and your coaching staff will never quit working improvement will continue! Our problems today will be solved but new problems will appear but because of The DAWG Culture, they'll get solved too....Just continue to work at it! GOOOOO DAWGS, SICEM!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2023

CEO CKS has a plan for everything. "I’ll try my best because I don’t think what we’re doing right now has been effective enough.” That is CKS trying to walk back the narrative that the UGA program has lost institutional control but is now addressing some very serious concerns. It also implies that CKS is/was a players coach who was too easy/slack on his players.

“We’ve had guys who have been kicked off for not adhering to the principles and values of the organization." Not lately. If half of the accusations of the AJC articles are to be believed the standard for being kicked off UGA must be an incredibly high bar to attain. I suspect Jere Morehead has had multiple discussions w/CKS about changes needed in the football program. An unflattering light is being shined on UGA , by the local and national media, as a result of the perception of "players gone wild". Rival schools are having a field day negatively recruiting vs UGA. Though actually telling an 18 yo that "UGA lacks discipline" is probably a positive recruiting message.

I like that CKS is a player's coach. You have to be a relationship builder to get buy in and the patience needed for the team and individual to reach their goals. But when kids die tragically racing and speeding and racing and speeding continues you have a problem that needs to immediately addressed. Maybe it has. We will see.

UGA is feeling the heat of an unwanted spotlight. UGA's attorney's demanding a retraction from the AJC confirms it.

2 observations: 1) when it was reported that Jalen Carter had a 707 Hp, $80k Jeep trackhawk I knew it was NIL. Supercharged cars and racing should not have been a surprise to anyone on the UGA coaching staff. 2) UGA players choosing to buy supercharged, expensive cars over helping their families achieve a better living situation may be another opportunity for counseling on financial planning and management as part of the UGA program.

• Options

I don't know if you actually read the rebuttal from the UGA Athletic Association lawyer(s) but if you do (it is provided here in one of these comment sections) then you will want to change what you wrote above. Lawyers who are threatening action/lawsuits do not deal in make believe. Mr. Judd and the AJC clearly are in the wrong here and will lose in court. I expect a retraction and firing of Mr. Judd.

As far as the speeding thing unless you are willing to change the student code/university by laws for all students you cannot single out any one team. This also would apply for any other rights such as what car a person can buy with their own money. Legal rights are just that.

• Options
    Cali_DawgCali_Dawg Posts: 29 ✭✭ Sophomore

Going to point this out for anybody not aware but Dawgnation is owned by Ajc. Simply scroll down to the end of this post and you will see the ajc.com copyright. Every other outlet that cover UGA reports the Kirby/UGA demand for retraction except this site that instead doubles down on the smear campaign.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2023

And...you can't litigate common sense.

I still can't figure out why this is "a story", all of a sudden. This crap has been going on since before I was born. How do you think we wound up with NASCAR? Lol

I remember when one of the Dawgs' high profile, key players, during the 1980 Championship season...ran his brand spankin' new...."Corvette Stingray"...into the woods, on a trip back home. He sustained an injury that kept him out of practice. That was 43-44 years ago. No NIL then. Lol

Yeah...cars have always been a thorn in a HC's side. Not just at UGA...and not just now. Sounds like that's what Kirby was trying to say, without coming out, and saying it.

I guess the AJC finally woke up from, ironically, their WOKE slumber and figured, they might want to create a little distraction from their own troubled City...and, own problems.

I still haven't seen any indication, that "the problem" is worse in Athens, than anywhere else. Let's see a little sampling of say...Ga Tech, Alabama, Florida, Auburn, Tennessee and South Carolina. If UGA stand's out significantly from any of those other institutions...then, MAYBE there's a problem.

Then you would have to look at every year for the last 20 to 30 years, for every relevant University, in order to identify possible "cause/effect" data, and determine if 2023 was an anomalous year for UGA (and others)...or just status quo.

• Options
    flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jeep's website says top speed is 290. That is incredible. Says the Jeep SRT with the Hemi is 160.

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 185 ✭✭✭ Junior

Make a list of the individuals caught and/or arrested for violations and see the one common dominator.

• Options
    USADawgUSADawg Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Uhhh.. young men? Football players? UGA students? What are you trying to say?

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited July 2023

You do not know what you are talking about. Whole bunch of incorrect speculation and accusations really. Its simple and yeah obviously we all knew before this was written that the issue that brought this new issue about was NIL money. Its not like all this speeding has been going on for years or something. Less than a year is more like it. And you think Kirby is not doing things and has not done more than you know? Probably everything you can think of and then 100X more if needed? Time will tell And you can only do so much so fast anyway. Its a process and you find out along the way and keep going. Its not been 10 years of this, 10 months, maybe 10 months. Anyway...whew!

If speeding is the worst thing going on with UGA players, while it certainly needs to be reigned in before someone else gets hurt again, it could be a lot worse. These are not criminal arrests, felonies, or something.

Young kids driving fast cars fast and speeding. Been happening for 120 years or so. And always will. They just happen to be concentrated together now on college football teams. New thing. Got to figure it out. But good luck. You are not going to kick a guy off the team for a couple of speeding tickets. Probably punish them very well though! And lord help 'em if they get a 2nd or 3rd one!

But give me even a 400 hp car, heck anyone really, and I will blow it out once in awhile just because it can. College boys? Literally almost every time they drive it! Duh. Money, Horsepower on wheels, young guys that is not a good combo. Hopefully nothing else gets added to that mix.

Oh and blaming Kirby because he has been soft and a players coach that will not sufficiently discipline his players? Wow. Whatever sunshine.

• Options
    DAWGHOUNDDAWGHOUND Posts: 23 ✭✭ Sophomore

Build a dragstrip

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This is the kind of thing that would require independent research. UGa won't do it, would look petty. ajc sure won't do it.

• Options

The entire thing is muckraking journalism. The AJC will get sued and lose and then will have to retract anything that is not provable fact. With everything going on with Stop Cop City you would think Mr. Judd and the AJC would have more important things to write about but then this is obviously a more important topic then riots in downtown Atlanta and BlackBlock or whatever those people call themselves.

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 475 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

back in the day we had entry level V6’s with less than 200 HP. Guess what, those North Georgia country roads were perfect for doing the same thing

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is the collateral damage from NIL. We'll probably see more players dying and getting seriously from bad decisions in vehicles. Kirby is in a tough position, but it's the guys offering the deals to the players that maybe need to have a talking to...a 700hp vehicle given to an 18-22 year old that might not have ever driven before. Might as well have given him a loaded gun. But it's the players decision. It's really hard for guys to not want what their friends have.

A sticky situation that needs to be somehow managed better. Hopefully it doesn't take a player committing vehicular homicide to reign this kind of thing in.

• Options
    jamboogiejamboogie Posts: 188 ✭✭✭ Junior

Fast cars are fun and have always been something to brag about. Only possible deterrence is to publish the possible consequence from the Athletic department and that the consequences have levels of restrictions/punishment based on the severity of the incident. May be in existence but doesn't seem stringent enough to get attention.

The you might kill yourself reason probably doesn't work because at that age we pretty much thought we were bullet proof and invisible. Speeding fines might get attention and Parental influence might help diminish.

If NIL is partly to blame, then maybe the removal/suspension of that for serious offenses could be an answer to be considered by NCAA or the writer of the NIL agreement.

Pretty much going to all rely on the young men/women to control

• Options
    NorthHallDawgNorthHallDawg Posts: 81 ✭✭✭ Junior

Hummmm.... Perhaps it should be mandated that they only be allowed to buy and drive Honda Civics; apparently you can only speed in expensive, high-horsepower vehicles. 😉