Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

NIL deals help fuel supercharged cars involved in Georgia football speeding incidents

Comments

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'll admit it's a problem and CKS has acknowledged that and has implemented measures to try to stop it. That said, I'm not sure how CKS is supposed to stop it anymore than any President can stop gun violence short of taking away individual freedoms. Take away their cars and make them ride scooters around town, see how well recruiting goes! THat's basically what you're left with.

Nothing short of something that silly and that amount of intrusion will stop kids from speeding when they have muscle cars. What are thye supposed to do, drive them like little old ladies? Don't blame Kirby for what NIL and the transfer portal have created. Players today don't have to fear/respect the coaches like they used to because money makes them feel more important than they are and they don't even have to necessarily get along with the coaches as much as they used to because now they can just leave and head for what they perceive is more permissive pastures.

Coaches today are increasingly going to be asked to somehow insure that 100 young testosterone driven men are going to be able to behave like angels. THat's where this is headed with all the politically correct stuff. It's the being tried in the court of public opinion by a growing body of people who say speech is violence. Don't tell Kirby that, they'll take away his megaphone.

Coach Kirby Smart will never lose his job over putting togeher a good football product on the field(what he's hired to do) but where he could be at jeopardy of losing his job(not sayng he is now) in the future, which would truly be sad, would be due to the elites believing that somehow Kirby or any other coach is supposed to crack the whip and micromanage these guys so they become perfect people. That's asking a bit too much IMHO. They are going to be who their momma's and dadddies(grand mammas) raised them to be. THey had 18 years. But do wave that magic wand KIrby!

Even with us adults and the threats by law enforcement of punishment by high speeding tickets and possible jail time, grown as men, do **** stuff. Maybe Kirby can fix the gun violence isse while he's at it. Just make tougher laws, right? Tell that to Chicago.

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm just curious. Do you know details of specific players and their NILs to know that they've bought cars at the expense of their families' financial well being? I haven't done research in that depth.

• Options
    doubledawg1990doubledawg1990 Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

Good article MG.

I think all it's going to take is a successful lawsuit (Devin Willock) against the UGA Athletic Association to expose the risk this (accidents related to football players with super-fast cars) poses). Can't imagine it would take much to establish "vicarious liability" for UGA and will result in a BIG $$ payout.

Not sure how you square players getting NIL money to spend as they like (including risky super-fast cars) and mitigating the associated risk that comes with that for all involved parties. Doesn't seem like sensible choices are being made related to spending NIL money but then again, we're talking about 18-22 males (frontal lobe issues until mid to late 20s).

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2023

“Mr. Judd’s article is replete with errors, unsubstantiated allegations, innuendo, and possibly even fabrications. " is part of the 9 page letter. That comment, in itself, serves as proof that there is some truth, some to be substantiated allegations and some substantiated allegations.

The fact that the UGA attorney letter acknowledges some truth and some substantiated allegations were made would make a lawsuit by UGA a difficult one to win. This was UGA flexing their deep pocketed muscles trying to bury this story. Regardless of what the story is. UGA HAD to say something. Silence would be like admitting the article(s) is true. The LAST thing UGA wants is to go to court and have dirty laundry aired in public.

Was Judd's article a hit job rooted in the new media standard of sensationalism based on incomplete research? I'd say yes.

But the point was "because I don’t think what we’re doing right now has been effective enough.” CKS. 2 people died racing and speeding. And people are still racing and speeding. Anyone who says CKS didn't know his players were driving supercharged cars is full of it. What do people do with supercharged cars? They drive fast. The message hadn't gotten through. Maybe it has now after this embarrassing and very big spotlight has been put on the program. Maybe CKS is taking additional steps with actual consequences now after apparently turning a blind eye to what his players were doing w/supercharged cars. When you think about it supercharged cars were a ticking time bomb in the hands of 18-22 year old, fast and furious culture, players. It was short sighted of CKS to not more strongly address this after NIL made it reality. How many speeding tickets have been issued in the last couple years?

"because I don’t think what we’re (I'm) doing right now has been effective enough.” CKS

BTW, MG loves throwing this kind of stuff out there to stir the pot. I wonder if he gets a bonus on how many comments he gets? Maybe I should get a kick back?

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Was Judd's article a hit job rooted in the new media standard of sensationalism based on incomplete research? I'd say yes."

If UGA Athletic Association and the University of Georgia were not willing to take this fight to court they would not have put out a 9 page letter which has very intimate details of situations with only 1 current player and another 2 former players.

UGAAA and UGA would not have done that unless they had or felt they had a very strong case. So I disagree with your premise that they are not willing to take it to court. I 100 percent believe they will.

That being said any normal person with an IQ of your average 3rd grader can read the rebuttal and see Alan Judd is a liar. Surrounding a fact with 3 other misrepresentations is still a lie.

Retraction to come or lawsuit and retraction to follow. It is obvious Mr. Judd had approval to continue these hit pieces forever so I applaud UGAAA, UGA, the AD, and the coaches for standing up for their players when they are being castigated non-stop. The legal method I'm sure was not wanted but seriously considered and other people involved had to be contacted and warned (other named player and ex-players and their parents/relatives).

So I'm not sure if you are really a UGA Dad but if you read the rebuttal I would hope you would be sick to your stomach with the hack job Mr. Judd is doing. It would appear to informed observor that lawsuits are in order soon.

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

Seems to me that the vast majority of Charger, Challenger drivers are dudes who are clearly trying to overcompensate for another shortcoming.

• Options
    Dawg_OnItDawg_OnIt Posts: 23 ✭✭✭ Junior

Dropped my AJC subscription back in 2008 because the reporting is shifty opinion stated as fact. Today I just deleted the bookmark for dawgnation.

• Options

Even Paul Finebaum who is part of the media came out and said he tends to beleive Kirby on this one. Matt Barrie and him were discussing the situation and I think Paul was pretty even handed on this unlike some other reporters trying to get clicks. This sounds like the last gasps of the AJC who is dying anyways. Traditional newspapers are the cord phones of the past. Still around but barely.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

FYI Only: Trackhawk generally advertised top speed is 180 mph. The 290 range is the Bugatti Veyron-type ilk. Some hyper cars now eclipse 300 mph.

• Options
    UGADawg_1UGADawg_1 Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

Yep, DawgNation and MG are owned by the AJC and playing to the script. There are plenty of other Dawgs new outlets available without the negative editorializing. Goodbye

• Options
    edited July 2023

Do you really need to read a 9 page rebuttal to see that there is a speeding/racing problem at UGA that claimed 2 lives? CKS obviously let it slide until it resulted in tragedy and drew unwanted attention. ANY motor vehicle is a missile capable of doing damage and killing. Coaching, off the field, is needed as much or more than coaching on the field at that age. You cannot keep having the same problem. That reflects a lack of leadership.

I don't know what went on beyond what has been document by police records. Was the Jamal Jarrett case "weaponized" to be used in a hit piece by Judd? IDK. I guess. I wasn't there. The woman was an employee of UGA? There was a 16 year old and alcohol involved? CKS has an unenviable job managing so many young people. But his "player leadership" approach seems to need a coaching leadership component enhancement.

But the fact remains that UGA had a problem and the recent speeding arrests/tickets (Morrissette, Mpemba) are indicative that the problem continues. MPemba's 88 in a 55 tells me the message isn't strong enough. It continues to be a bad look for UGA that continues to garner media commentary. Hence the UGA rebuttal comments. UGA wants nothing more than making this story disappear. The threat of a lawsuit will probably get the AJC and Judd to back off.

This is on CKS's watch. He is the head man. The responsibility falls on him to clean it up.

Not sure why anyone would argue that. But I have found that objectivity is in short supply among most fans of their teams.

This case will never see a courtroom. You can almost guarantee that. Are you kidding me? What "journalist" wouldn't LOVE to drag a major college football program through the mud in a major court case. That is a Pulitzer Prize waiting to be collected. UGA does not want to have to produce any information through the subpoena process. UGA wants this case to go away quietly. Attorneys posture to intimidate daily. CKS runs about as clean a program as anyone in CFB. But UGA still does not want all of its business dragged into the light. Have you ever heard of Kirby's Law? It was not created by accident.

Does the AJC immediately cease and desist or do they keep tweaking UGA? Will the AJC offer a retraction? So far they haven't. It will be interesting to watch play out. It sure got a lot of attention and probably sold a lot of newspapers for the AJC.

Yes, I have children that graduated from UGA. I just look at the University a little more objectively than most of the fanatics.

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I mean, duhhhhhhhhhhhh. No (yes, I know that "no" is an absolute, and it's definitely relative here, but I think y'all get it) 22-year-old just happens to have the money needed to buy those monsters. Was that even a question?

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bet you won't show up at the 1st Dawg Walk of the season...and say that to their faces...."Keyboard Warrior". Lol

• Options
    edited July 2023

Paul Finebaum is too old and too professional, to engage in the self-debasing chore of "suckling at Satan's **** of lies" in order to cobble a story together.

I blame the WOKE editors at these various publications, for allowing these shortcuts to "Breaking News". I'd be shocked if the AJC hired anybody over the age of 35, as an Editor. Kids in charge of kids, in the News Room. Fix that problem...AJC.

Frankly...I don't see how the "gaslighting behavior" of some of these so-called "journalists", is any less sinister than "plagiarism". A lie, is a lie, is a lie.

And, by God...if you see "a lie" being reported as truth...it's your duty as a human being, to call it out. Or, you're just as guilty of spreading "the lie", as the originator.

It's possible that some of you don't see this as a lie. That's okay. Don't fret...you'll get there in your own due time. In the meantime...please refrain from lending any validity to this horse manure of a story by defending it as "unbiased"...because, it's clearly a biased one-direction, single angle story.

If you believe the story...there must be a reason, so please share the set of verifiable "facts" that led you to conclude it was true.

For instance...how many speeding tickets did all Div1 College Football players receive, in 2018, '19, '20, '21 and '22. What was the "SEC average" for tickets per University. Where does UGA sit among it's peers?

NONE of that very relevant information was provided. What bothers me, is that the AJC may have done the research...they may already know, that that information won't help their UGA narrative. In fact...that information could blow their entire narrative out of water. And, they're suppressing it.

I have a hard time believing, a "reporter" wasn't curious enough to look at facts that could either bolster their claims or debunk them. The way I see it...they know, but, aren't saying,.....which is libelous to the UGA Bulldogs Football Team, Coaches and Players. UGA will prove that in court.

All they have to do is assign their "Universal Soldier"...Brock Bowers...to their team of Lawyers and you can stick a fork in the AJC. Lol

• Options

"This is on CKS's watch. He is the head man. The responsibility falls on him to clean it up.

Not sure why anyone would argue that. But I have found that objectivity is in short supply among most fans of their teams."______Ugadad20

What "data" have you seen, that convinces you, that a "problem" exists, now...that did NOT exist last year, last decade, or last century, at every other school in the Country? At greater or lesser magnitude?

This whole thing is blowing up, because a couple of kids died in January, while drinking and racing. And....Willock wasn't "breaking the law", BTW. He was a passenger and possibly "passed out" or "napping" when it all happened. Not that it matters. Just sayin'...none of us were there, so we don't know what led to the racing. Conjecture helps no one, but, the Devil. Lol

I get it...the goal is zero tickets, zero accidents, zero arrests. But, that's just not very realistic and blowing it up into something it's NOT, is just another blow to "media integrity", IMO. I would love to believe everything I read. It's just not very smart...or, responsible to do that, in these day-and-times.

If we can't believe what we see and read in the news....why the hell should these kids heed everything that comes out of the mouth of their Professors and Coaches. Credibility across the media spectrum, is shot. When the media goes...the rest of society is sure to follow.

It's important that we have trust and faith in our media. They've proven at every turn, over the last 10 years, that only a fool, would take what they report, "at face value". I don't think you are a "fool"...so, what do you know, that apparently, the rest of us don't?

I'm looking for a little "objectivity".

• Options

The sad and disgusting thing about this writer and those supporting them is they don't care about actually fixing anything or doing real work. There goal is to destroy and tear down while making some money for the AJC. Who cares how many people get wrecked in the process...

Now I feel that giving a kid a 2nd chance who may not have the best parental situation has it's limits but JJ was a 16 year old at the time. Now we know the rest of the story about a 20 year female buying a hotel room and that the interaction was consensual. It looks pretty bad on the 20 year old lady as well. Now we are talking about a minor here at 16. Did he sneak out past curfew? Yes, after reporting in. So it's pretty apparent that this player needs guidance. Should the staff have given this kid a 2nd chance and a scholarship for something that apparently was never formally charged? Is it possible their might be more of a chance of a 20 year old getting charged in this situation? Not sure. Should the new policy be that every kid who has an allegation against (no matter how unverifiable) them should not get a scholarship offer? How many ex-girlfriends are going to use this as a weapon? Think it won't happen if this is a known policy? Lots to think about here.

I don't have a problem with this player getting a scholarship offer for what I read in the rebuttal. I believe most 16 year olds need 2nd chances and you shouldn't throw a kid under the bus for an allegation. However, these types of situations need to be evaluated on a case to case basis. It is my understanding that the player was told his scholarship would be pulled if the allegation became a formal charge.

As far at the 2 other incidents. Both were off the team within about a week. Neither have of this date been found guilty that I know of. So how can any of these 3 incidents be counted as a part of the 11? It sounds like everything was handled pretty well. Remember, facts are stubborn things and the accusation/insinuation is that sexual misbehavior is not only tolerated but that coaches and players rally around such behavior. A gross mischaracterisation that is not present in the 3 incidents mentioned above.

So, we have no good examples from the AJC or it's writer Alan Judd.

I think Mr. Judd if he has the goods should put them out there with his evidence and allow the AD and coach a chance to fix the situation. If not then it looks like more allegations and conjecture. Allegations and conjecture will get you sued if put out in the public square.

The ball is in Alan Judd's court. Georgia appears to have done everything by the book.

• Options
    edited July 2023

@BigDawg61

"The AJC has determined that since 2016, Georgia players have been cited at least 74 times for going 20 mph or more over the speed limit." From the AJC article. BTW I didn't write or report that. But 74 seems like a lot.

I assume that the AJC got their information from The Georgia Open Information Act. That sounds pretty factual (objective) to me.

I assume those 74 cases are documented or they would not have been reported. Don't you? Are you saying the AJC lied about the number of speeding incidences? Is the AJC that desperate for a story or to try and take UGA down that they made up approximately 68 speeding incidences?

We know what tragically happened in January. We know of JDJ, JCarter, Morrissette, and MPemba. Other's have also been reported on Dawgnation. We know of at least 2 that have been reported since January.

Isn't that all objective reporting of factual information? Didn't we all read that JCarter plead guilty?

Is all this angst about sexual assault allegations? Because I never mentioned THAT/THOSE until my last response to 888. I was specifically referring to the ongoing speeding issues. I only mentioned Jarratt because he was 16 and allegedly had/been provided alcohol. Also, the night of the crash was the night of the NC celebration. The crash occurred after drinking and while racing back from a s t r i p club. It was reported that multiple players were at the club and possibly some recruits that attended the celebration were also at the club.

All indications of program that needs some leadership attention.

I am sure there must be other issues when talking about roughly 100 18-22 yo men. But I am not aware of what those issues may be. Just what I referenced objectively.

If you have more objective information please share it.

If you are looking for a debate on the general state of the media and their reporting propensities, you won't get one from me. The general media seems bent on pushing their agenda and ideals upon everyone. But continuing to stick your head in the sand over a recognized (CKS) UGA speeding problem shows you lack of objectivity.

BTW I read this today on SDS. "I’m responsible for this program, and it starts with me. " CKS and "I will not tolerate false accusations that this program or this university condone sexual misconduct. " Notice he chose his words very carefully. CKS/UGA don't condone it but he didn't say it never happened.

• Options
    edited July 2023

@UGADad20

74 speeding incidents over 8 years. Or 9 speeding incidents a year for a total of 300 plus players during that entire time. 74 sounds like a lot but over 8 years maybe not as big a deal as you are making it out to be.

Once again I come back to my original question which is what is the appropriate punishment for speeding?

As a follow up I would ask why the current laws on the books are or are not adequate?

Lastly, if you are not happy with the speeding laws what additional punishment should athletes get above and beyond what a normal student would get?

Do you agree that athletes deserve harsher punishments just by being part of a team?

If so why?

Seems to me that these athletes are getting additional punishment for speeding beyond the normal student. Do you have any proof otherwise? and if you were a parent or guardian would you want to send your kid to a school where the football coach did not look out for his son?

Please answer these questions because based on your prior writings it is hard for me to understand how you actually have a child(ren) that went or goes to UGA. There seems to be a lack of compassion for the age of these student athletes and the fact they are young and make mistakes. I absolutely would want Kirby looking out for my son. I trust he would mix compassion with corrective action and not overdo it or throw my kid under the bus to save himself.

• Options
    SnakeScott13SnakeScott13 Posts: 91 ✭✭✭ Junior

I enjoy the writers at Dawgnation but the AJC as we knew it is gone . Lots of turnover lately so you have cowboys writing for views because advertising doesn’t pay the bills anymore. Like I said before their sister company ,WSB lost the rights for UGA shows so get use to the Bulldawg Bashing .

• Options

@BigDawg888

Actually 74 over 7.5 yrs or about 10/yr but I get your point.

Not about compassion it is about coaching/teaching. 10 EVERY year. Think about that. That seems like the message is not getting through. OR the (strictly?) player leadership council needs some adjustment. 2 people DIED and they are STILL speeding. Tell me how you think what has been done has been an effective means of dealing with a 10/yr problem?

It seems like UGA players speeding is like the crime (ex shoplifting in SF) in the cities. No significant repercussions, no need to obey the laws. And is this speeding an indication of a loss of institutional control? There obviously was not institutional control when a hosting employee used a University vehicle to shuttle players (and possibly recruits?) to and from a Gentlemen's club.

The privilege of playing football for UGA comes with conditions. Conditions above and beyond that of regular students as a high profile representative of the University. As Saban said "this is not a democracy". CKS makes the rules for being on the football team. Not society or the State of GA.

But if it is a 10/yr problem then it is not been fixed. If you want to play for UGA,UGA expects the highest standard at practice and on the field. Does/should that expectation stop at the edge of the field/locker room? Seems hypocritical. Or is it "we will win at all costs"? UGA now being compared to FU under Urban Meyer by fan bases and media across the country.

At this point, 2 strikes and your out is probably not going to fix the problem. Going forward should a player have an egregious (> 15 mph over?) speeding ticket/arrest dismissal probably should be in order. Since the problem has not been fixed stronger repercussions are in order or the problem continues. Representatives of the football program are embarrassing the University. Throw a few players off the team and the other's may get the message. Before someone else gets killed. Sure they'll transfer. But they will be someone else's problem IF they can't abide by the rules and standards of the UGA football team. How is that harsh or too much to ask?

So yes the football players, as representatives of UGA, should be held to a higher standard. That is not throwing a kid under the bus. That is setting an expectation for acceptable behavior. Also setting an expectation for consequences for unacceptable actions and choices.

Had these expectations been set in 2019 instead of 2023 we might not have 2 families dealing with the loss of a child.

Why don't we all go 88 in a 55 (or was it 90 in a 45?) ? Because we know it is not safe and there are unpleasant repercussions even if we don't wreck. UGA players don't seem to be getting that message. 10 per yr. Every year.